Thinking About Upgrading to Full Size Half Ton...Best Bang for The Buck?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am entertaining the idea of perhaps upgrading to a half ton pickup. Financially its a pretty feasible option for us at this point, but not sure if its worth it or which brands are the way to go. I'm not partial to any brand, but I'm leaning more towards a brand new 2011 Ram, because I get a fairly reasonable discount on Dodge vehicles, AND...I love their looks.

BUT.. i'm here to ask what everyone has to say about the new Fords, GM's and Dodge.. experiences, opinions, pros & cons.. towing, gas mileage, options, finance rates, etc etc. I want as much feedback as possible. Right now, my 2009 Tacoma is on a lease, and to buy it out would be about 25K at the moment. I paid 35k for it, and I've done Kijiji searches and MOST of the same year/model and mileage Tacomas are listed between 30K-35K. I have under 60,000 km on it right now. IF I could sell my Tacoma for more than 25K, whatever the difference is between what I get, and my lease buyout would be put towards a down payment on a new truck. Right now a dealer has a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup that I am in love with, has every single option I want, and the list price is 40K, add my ATCO employee discount to that and I could possibly looking at getting into a brand new Ram for about the same price I paid for my Tacoma back in '09, about 35K. But i'm not sure that Ford or GM can compete with that... ? Ideally, for us to make the switch, I do not want to pay more monthly then what I am paying for my Taco, which is $475/month.

I should also add too, that we are still in the market for a holiday trailer. Upsizing the truck and towing capacity means we have a bit more options for trailers. Still wouldn't be exceeding the 4000-5000 lb max, but atleast there is a bit more availalbe for better pricing.. becuase trying to find V6 towable trailers for reasonable prices is tough!

Anyways, I'd appreciate any feedback from any newer HALF TON pickup owners, I'm leaning towards Dodge and not a fan at all of the Fords looks, and GM is somewhere in between for me, but ideally its going to come down to pricing and Dodge seems to be winning that battle so far. But I havent even gone into dealerships yet, have no idea what is better to drive, what finance rates are like, etc etc...I'm just doing some "preliminary" research

Thanks all in advance :)

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 09 ram this summer, (just a regular cab long box slt as a work truck) and so far I love it. My mom liked the looks of it so much, that she went out and bought a brand new 2011 crew cab off a showroom floor. Now we have 5 rams in the family ( 2 03s, a 04, and the 2 new ones) and they are great trucks. On long trips, I can average 22 mpg with my hemi. I can't even get that with my 03!
I haven't done any towing yet, but plan on pulling sleds on our 2 place out to the mountains.
Any vehicle you choose, just remember. They are all good trucks, but they are all junk.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my Desire HD

northguy

Reaction score
I have a 2011 GMC 1/2 ton crew cab and pull a 28' holiday trailer, no complaints with power or fuel econmy but had to put in a sway bar in the back to help stabilize the truck.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
With some of the smokin deals available out there on low mileage used trucks you may want to consider that route as a possibility. Depreciation on a new truck is stupid.... You might want to at least consider a 3/4 no doubt a 1/2 will give you more options than your current truck but still limits you.

you can pick up a 3 year old 2500 HD 4x4 with under 100K for under $20-ish K.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been nothin but happy with my Chev 2500 HD crew, its been bullet proof. Pulls my 28' trailer with ease as well as not breaking the bank on fuel ;)

............BUT as for the half tons, Ive owned all of the above, and my fave had to be my 1990 Chev short box, man that was an awesome pickup!!

...sorry had to brag up my 2500 LOL

Last edited:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 gm half and its been great with the exception of some small trim related issues but nothing major drivetrain. I put a 4" lift on it and one size bigger tires and I still get 13-15 litres/100km city/highway. It hauls one seld on my deck just fine but struggles with two, and pulling a two place steel trailer with two sleds is a bit luggy on the hills.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
100_2069.jpg

My old dodge drags around my 26' trailer 6000# with a quad in the box with no problems so I would imagine a new one would do better

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a new 2010 F150 about a year ago now and so far I've been pretty happy with it. I know you said you're not that into the Ford's, and neither was I until I started looking around. I found the dodges to be way over priced personally - and I'm not a big fan of the hemi engines either. Ended up getting the ford for over 3000 cheaper than the chev which made up for the gm visa points I was going to use. At the end of the day they all have their perks and quirks though really.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would go to a one ton. for the difference in price you open a lot of doors as far towing and hauling capabilities

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all,

Yeah Its totally the way it goes with trucks, they all have their perks and they all have their faults. At this time, and likely never, will have use for a 3/4 ton or bigger, its just too much truck for what I need. The most i'm likely ever going to tow is a small holiday trailer (5000 lb max), and a couple dirt bikes and gear, nothing more.. can't justify anything more than a half ton for that. My Tacoma is enough truck for us realistically, but upgrading to a full size just gives us a bit more wiggle room and options for trailers, rather than limiting ourselves to hybrids or tent trailers for towing ease for the Taco. I just think now is a good time to upgrade if i'm going to do it because I can probably make a decent amount off my Tacoma, buy out the lease and still have a bit of cash leftover to put down on a new truck. But I think what I will have to do is go test drive a couple, because although looks are important to me... the way they drive and how comfortable they are for a midget like myself to drive is important too.. I definitely need power seats, that's a must. Back up camera, heated/power leather seats, sunroof, and preferrably dual climate control are all things we want in a new truck. My Tacoma has a back up camera so that is definitely something I need to have after being so used to it.. hehe.

Thanks all for your input! I still have a lot of work to do before I can even consider a new truck, but I'll be giving it some thought, go do some test drives a bit more research and maybe get the Taco all cleaned up and put on the market and see what happens!

hcr ditch banger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be the better option . you will regret the 1/2 ton latter on. not sure if you run a deck or not but most half tons are weight exceeded once you have the deck on a couple of sleds . Good luck

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 F150 has been great since i sold my Tacoma a few years ago. Pulls a holiday trailer with 2 dirtbikes and generator etc in the box with no problems at all. The back seat on the new crew cabs is massive for extra people, gear, or our 2 huge dogs. Backup camera, power everything, smooth ride, good mileage if you stay off the gas.
Sync stereo system is sweet with 300w sound, phone, sat radio, and ipod control all built right in and voice activated controls. I just push a button and say "call jessica" and it calls the gf, I push the button and say "play Iron Maiden" and I'm ready to drive to Golden.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be the better option . you will regret the 1/2 ton latter on. not sure if you run a deck or not but most half tons are weight exceeded once you have the deck on a couple of sleds . Good luck

Nope.. as I've already mentioned I don't have sleds, or a sled deck, or a sled trailer.. I dont even have a holiday trailer..YET but the biggest trailer i'm going to be pulling is 20ft/5000 lbs max. I have no use for a diesel 3/4 ton truck. I'm not even sure I can justify a half ton right now, my Tacoma can pull a small V6 Towable camper, 2 dirtbikes, gear, two dogs, and two adults just fine... BUT its looking like I have the option to upgrade without paying anymore than I am right now..

Again people... I do not need a 3/4 ton so I dont want to know how great they are becuase they are only great for things that do not apply to me whatsoever...thanks!!

My 09 F150 has been great since i sold my Tacoma a few years ago. Pulls a holiday trailer with 2 dirtbikes and generator etc in the box with no problems at all. The back seat on the new crew cabs is massive for extra people, gear, or our 2 huge dogs. Backup camera, power everything, smooth ride, good mileage if you stay off the gas.
Sync stereo system is sweet with 300w sound, phone, sat radio, and ipod control all built right in and voice activated controls. I just push a button and say "call jessica" and it calls the gf, I push the button and say "play Iron Maiden" and I'm ready to drive to Golden.

Yeah! My boyfriend REALLY wants a Ford. I agree they come with some of the best in class options for the price... I'm just not the biggest fan of their looks!! :( man if they were just a tad prettier I would be all over one. Dodge definitely wins my love in the looks department, but not sure about price/options yet! Not sure what styling the 2009 F150 has..is it the newer style or the style before the current? Cuz I would be looking into 2010-2011 F150. How is the fuel economy? Absolutely LOVE their roomy cabs too.. I have two dogs as well, so far the Taco quad cab can handle them no prob, but once the pup is full grown he'll have no probs taking up the entire back seat. Ughh.. Dodge has everythign I want optionwise too for a decent price, going to be a tough call for sure between Ford or Dodge.. I looked into GMs before I bought my Taco and they were not even close to budging on prices.. they basically told me to eff off so I'm not sure I want to deal with them at all again. Ford and Dodge definitely seem willing to budge to move vehicles, especially now to make room for 2012s..

Hmmm we'll see.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09 is the same style as the new ones. Although you can get the Eco-Boost V6 in the 2011. Uses less gas and actually has more power than my 5.4L V8.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
if you get the employee discount go with dodge, gf's dad works for atco and with his discount got an incredible deal on a ram, and even though i love my titan, i have to say it is a very nice truck, and i have used it a few times now, including to pull the 5th wheel down to the camp out and it had a nice ride, felt it was a little under powered while hauling the trailer but not too bad.....i would buy one

Glory Hills Guy

Reaction score
If you're just talking 1/2 tons. Hands down. It's a 2011 F150 with the Ecoboost. 8 cylinders are not the future - they're the past.

10,000+ lbs towing from a 6 cylinder running on regular unleaded gas and delivering 25+ mpg when not towing. First year for the ecoboost in the F150 (but - the engine has been in Ford's line-up for a while). No issues with the engine so far - 9 months into the 2011 model year.

Sad thing - I'm deep down a GM guy - and they (and Dodge and Nissan and Toyota) have noting to compete with the Ecoboost - YET. This engine will change the future of trucks and it will be really interesting to see how the others respond.

Also - regarding real towing numbers - be careful. Dodge plays all sorts of games around their actual numbers with the 1500. I don't think you can legally tow much more with the Dodge 1500 than your Tacoma (that is - AND - also have any passengers and/or payload in the truck itself).

Good luck

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I gotta say, going with a half ton with a few years and a few miles on it will save you a bundle! I bought a 2 year old F150 ($54K list) with 90,000 kms on it for $16K. Spent some of what I saved on gas for going sledding and had enough left over to buy a quad and a camper for the summer. Don't go with a new one! The depreciation is over $10K/year in the first few years!
I'd suggest going with a quad cab tho. You'll likely go on a few sledding trips with one sled in the back and two on a trailer and those extended cabs are too small for the 5 hour trip to Revy. My F150 has towed everything I've hitched to it without problem so far, and the gas mileage hasn't been bad at all. Don't bother with the EcoBoost yet, let those depreciate for a few years then buy one. For what you'll save on gas with it, it's not worth going new.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL why is it everyone on this thread seems to think I own a sled?? Is it the general consenus that everyone on this forum owns a sled or something?? Haha.. funny, anyways (Sledhead5000), totally agree on the buying used - definitely considering that idea as well, but that part comes down to bank financing. If the bank can beat the dealers financing rates then that will definitely be an option we will consider. I'm definitely wanting to go newer than 2009 though, chances are if I wait a while there will be more on the "used" market if thats the route we go. I definitely will not settle for anything other then quad cab.. I have a quad cab now and my plan is to upgrade from what I have (And my Tacoma is as fully loaded as they come). I dont need to worry about sled decks or trailers.. none of that applies, but we are hoping to buy a SMALL holiday trailer in the future.. that of course depends on if we keep the Tacoma or upgrade.

Hmmm.. interesting comment about the Ram 1500 towing capabilites vs. Tacoma. I've pulled a 26' Holiday trailer that weighs approx 6000lbs with a 2006 Ram 1500, and I will admit that's the worse thing you could ever do... that Hemi is so gutless pulling that thing, and the gas mileage was around 7MPG..yikes!! SO I can see it not having a whole lot of guts compared to some, BUT my Dad has 3 Ram 1500's, years 2004, 2008 and 2011 and he said all 3 of them pulled his little Pioneer 18CK holiday trailer (max weight around 4000lbs), just fine with no issues, and gas mileage was okay if you kept it @ 100km/hr max. I know my Tacoma COULD pull the very same trailer, but I don't think its a good idea.. gas mileage would probably be brutal and I think the Tacoma would have to work pretty hard... says the max towing is 6500lbs, but I wouldn't dare tow more than 3500lbs MAX with my Tacoma.. I think a Ram 1500 could easily handle a bit more.. but maybe I'm wrong?

Like Plio mentioned.. my ATCO discount rate through Dodge is pretty sweet, also includes other incentives and bonuses. So that's something I have to consider as well, especially if I can walk away with a fully loaded to the nuts Ram for the same price (or even less) then what I am paying for my Taco, and get some incentives on top... I dont think Ford would be able to even come close to touching the price Dodge could give me..

Oohhh the Ford Ecoboost.. Yes, this truck definitely sounds attractive, however.. the pricing on it right now isn't so attractive... again, if I wait it out..might find a good deal on a low mileage used one (depending on bank finance rates). Wonder if its worth the wait? I've seen another thread on here about the Ecoboost... basically, i've heard great things so far, but what are its flaws??? Would love to hear more Ecoboost feedback..

Last edited:
Top Bottom