The notch

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were looking at riding the pipe line and notch on April 2 to 4,any one have plans to be out that way around then?

a few of us will be there from 03/31 till 04/03, may be able to show a few areas.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys have avi training and beacons,shovels etc.

shiftycliffy

Reaction score
We have shovels and beacons and no how to use them,we havent taken any training yet because of were we live.Im working on that now.We dont do any extreme stuff but like to watch. We like the trees and med pulls.Safty first kinda attitude, we have road the mountains in the past and can hold our own.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's definitely a good start. avi classes and training are definitely recommended, as we are experiencing bad avi conditions lately. no problem tagging along, we will probably give some basic things to watch for as we go.

Maclintock

Reaction score
Best hope the pipeline gets some white stuff. fernie got some today, but I was out that way the other day and it is getting pretty thin and some bare areas for sure. When you get back into secret/Hidden and the rolling hills it was great. But the notch ????????
Ram Creek area is really good.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anybody goes out today/tomorrow, can they please post an update. looking to go for a ride on sunday and wondering about conditions...
thanks!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
if anybody goes out today/tomorrow, can they please post an update. looking to go for a ride on sunday and wondering about conditions...
thanks!

Unless there is a major snow storm, I would suggest not going...

3 of us went up today rode the pipeline, Notch, and Rolling Hills...pipeline is beat pretty bad, but the biggest issue will be the water/creek crossings, they are almost gone, just wide enough for your skis. The new snow has settled already, and not great condition, but still better than the rolling hills today. Rolling hills had some snow cover, but real windblown and crusty then by afternoon melting to the point you could hardly turn your skis unless you were driving...

We staged at Coal and had to drive quite a ways in to find the snow line, beautiful smooth trails but coming down it was like riding a slurpee...lots of slush and running water on the trail with some bare spots.

We had a good day, but Im afraid by Sat or Sun, it will be pretty sketchy. We were going to stay for 2 days, but returned to Medicine Hat tonight...

Shiftycliffy...April 2-4, if we dont get some snow and colder weather by then you will be able to drive your truck right to Wranglers cabin...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some peoples kids. avi conditions are high, slides are going to be big, i feel it is good practice to see what experience guys have that you may ride with. at least you know what to expect and make riding area decisions accordingly. May not even be able to sled the area if the snow keeps melting like it is.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, great job on the sarcasm? Not!

are we sure its sarcasm,,,,????? he also holds a beer up and says good job,,

??????????????????

I have riden the notch on may long weekend,, just drive the truck to morrissey and you can drive truck up the trail until ya hit snow,,, ya can drive truck all the way to cat ski turn off if needed

if its 10 degrees with sun or warmer you are doing good, stuff will soften up by noon and is almost like a 1 ft fresh day,,,,

have fun,, avi's can be easily avoided riding morrissey, notch, rolling hills,, one of the safest area's in my opionion...

p.s. some of my deepest days have been in april,,,, 3 ft can come over night people....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Well, I have been waiting all season for 3ft overnight LOL

But like I said, the biggest issue will be the creek crossings, you will have to shovel a bridge in a few days. I have never seen the fencing around the pipeline at the notch, just the stakes and markers, yesterday there was about 1-2 feet of the fence out of the snow, and the one meadow that we always play in that we 'thought' has no trees since we have never seen them, we seen em yesterday...

I am still trying to be optimistic, but its getting pretty hard...We still had a good day, but it did feel like it would be one of the last unless some snow comes.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its spring time creeks are just part of the game lol,, sounds like its getting thin but thats spring riding at its finest

ya we all have been waiting for the dump,,, no guarantee but it could still happen.........:beer::d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
supposed to snow most of next week, fernie area is less of a avi hazard in some places, thats why we like it.

Maclintock

Reaction score
Was in Hidden and secret Valley yesterday. In the trees it was quite good, but out very windblown. Very hard conditions until the sun came out 1:30 ish and then it soffened up a bit. Saw a lot of recent ( Yesterday or day before) avalanches on the northeast facing slopes and 1 monster one with probably a 5ft fracture the width of a football field and a very large runout that took out some big trees.
Probed up top and still 5 - 7 feet of snow in some areas, The pipeline is very bad ( was not on it much), all creek crossings except up high are getting really bad, and if we do get super warm temps they will get high throughout the day.

Talked to a buddy that was back in the Ram Creek area past Morrisey and he said past the Wigwam they found some good snow.

Yup supposed to get som,e snow this week, but have heard that all winter. If it does snow be very careful down low as their will be tons of claymores to wreck your sled, because their is no snow.

Be careful out their, and maybe start to polish up the Quad or Dirt bike or even the fishing pole or Clubs.

Zig Zag

Reaction score
Was out with Shankster and it was good conditions around the notch. Still a few weeks left but hey if your worried about your sled gettin wet and having to do a couple creek crossings your prob better to stay away. Snow was great in the trees little thin on the bowl faces.

Attachments

• 24091_10150160667570717_574850716_11701703_1189036_n.jpg
    24091_10150160667570717_574850716_11701703_1189036_n.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 67

Zig Zag

Reaction score
are we sure its sarcasm,,,,????? he also holds a beer up and says good job,,

??????????????????

I have riden the notch on may long weekend,, just drive the truck to morrissey and you can drive truck up the trail until ya hit snow,,, ya can drive truck all the way to cat ski turn off if needed

if its 10 degrees with sun or warmer you are doing good, stuff will soften up by noon and is almost like a 1 ft fresh day,,,,

have fun,, avi's can be easily avoided riding morrissey, notch, rolling hills,, one of the safest area's in my opionion...

p.s. some of my deepest days have been in april,,,, 3 ft can come over night people....

Nice to see someone was watching the post and not trying to be a cop. Got outa the truck today sled on deck walked into store and total stranger said nice avalanche magnet. I replied back that I thought his mouth was an even better magnet for medical insurance . I was hoping he would have a response but hey not today.:beer::d

Hoots

Reaction score
Ya I agree,, we rode the notch and rolling hills on Fri. Not the greatest cond but easy to kill a day. I wouldn't drive from Manitoba for it. Any day on the sled is a good day. Snow is pretty set up so you have no trouble getting anywhere you want. the road is getting pretty bad though. Hopefully with all the fog we had about a month ago it will bring a decent enough dump to extend the season. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE:beer::beer:

Top Bottom