The How To's of Shredding with your Sweetheart....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great article, thanks for posting......

I have been racing and riding for a lot of years (mtn sledd’s only for 5 years so still a rookie) I have passed on skills to a lot ofriders, my most challenging student has been my spouse, recently riding horse’s I tried to suggest that wearing flip flops while walking the horse down to the river might not be the smartest choice, I was told it was fine. So when her flip flop got stuck in the sand and her horse stepped on her toe (yes he had shoes on) and after attending to the toe, I was confronted with the go ahead say I told you so, you don’t know everything discussion....
I understood your comment re letting her fail to learn, it’s just really hard to watch and not try to pass on the some of the already learnt via mistakes wisdom.....

Last edited:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"put your big girl panties on and keep on keepin’ on. It’s all a part of sledding"

I like this quote and it applies to some of the guys!

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great article Trish the part when you say "are you seriously yelling at her dude look at where she is ."really made me think and I know I am sometimes probably harder on my wife than anyone else and the last thing you want to end up doing is hurting or destroying her confidence or ruining the trip or worse. Thanks for the article keep up the good work

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
grat article applys to everything we dont sled as a family but do quad as 1 and the proper choice of machine is of the most importance (kids to) son rode hawkeye for last couple yrs and struggled through the last yr and really seemed to be lacking confidence we ended up upgrading him machines to a scrambler and wow what a differance the terrain he was terrified of he is suddenly terring up

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Daine comes riding with us once and you mention him twice. I ride with you every single time and I get mentioned once. Kind of a kick in the balls Tricia. :eek:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Daine comes riding with us once and you mention him twice. I ride with you every single time and I get mentioned once. Kind of a kick in the balls Tricia. :eek:

Dean, Dean Dean DEAN!!!!!! haa haaa.. K Dean has unstuck my butt more times than I can count.. He's my brother through and through..............!!!
Daine was out more than once!! and it was Funny!!!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I like how you state you pack a pretty mean muff pot. Its a good thing I know what a muff pot is as that started sounding a bit dirty, especially in the EXTRA PERKS part of the story.

My wife rides all the time with us and she is usually the only female of the group. She has put many men to shame over the years and we have certainly had some serious scraps. My wife told me one day she would like to ride with some of the Betties just to be able to ride with some other women. Are you guys doing a laddies ride this year anywhere.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how you state you pack a pretty mean muff pot. Its a good thing I know what a muff pot is as that started sounding a bit dirty, especially in the EXTRA PERKS part of the story.

My wife rides all the time with us and she is usually the only female of the group. She has put many men to shame over the years and we have certainly had some serious scraps. My wife told me one day she would like to ride with some of the Betties just to be able to ride with some other women. Are you guys doing a laddies ride this year anywhere.

That would be So wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! We'll post up some rides for sure. I'd love to meet your wife! I have Ladies rides planned one per month in this area. We'll have December 8th around the Nelson Area, January Creston/Salmo (Yes Dean will be there helping ALL of us women UNSTICK, because he Loves doing that so much) February Nelson (probably up Giveout)
And Yes, Men are welcome, but this is a great chance for us women to get together, try some new machines out, and have some laughs!

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome article, wish i had read this before taking her out. lol and also got her to read this too. good read for next time

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understood your comment re letting her fail to learn, it’s just really hard to watch and not try to pass on the some of the already learnt via mistakes wisdom.....

I find most men are too stubborn to learn by others mistakes too. Hell.....half the time I don't even learn much from my own mistakes! :D

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a number of girls who ride with us. There are the ones who go all out (Rowdy) and jump in head first and learn from their mistakes and there are ones like my girlfriend who we try to encourage all way to the top. Just like the big boys, some take to riding more than others and the learning curve varies.

Guys tend to forget that when guys are around guys, we act like guys :) But sometimes it just takes a different approach to build the confidence needed in our female friends, girlfriends, spouses and so on. I think much of the time my girlfriend thinks I will be upset if she messes up and breaks something, so she tends to not push her limits.

Last winter I could comfortably go riding with just the two of us. My deepest day of the year last winter was spent with my girlfriend. Sure I would have ventured further and higher into the back country with the boys, but it was still a great day the two of us trying to pound out all the fresh everyone rode past in the front half and playing in the small technical tree areas the entire time.

Gotta give a 100 pound girl credit that can handle a full size sled.

SAM_0295.jpg

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a number of girls who ride with us. There are the ones who go all out (Rowdy) and jump in head first and learn from their mistakes and there are ones like my girlfriend who we try to encourage all way to the top. Just like the big boys, some take to riding more than others and the learning curve varies.

Guys tend to forget that when guys are around guys, we act like guys :) But sometimes it just takes a different approach to build the confidence needed in our female friends, girlfriends, spouses and so on. I think much of the time my girlfriend thinks I will be upset if she messes up and breaks something, so she tends to not push her limits.

Last winter I could comfortably go riding with just the two of us. My deepest day of the year last winter was spent with my girlfriend. Sure I would have ventured further and higher into the back country with the boys, but it was still a great day the two of us trying to pound out all the fresh everyone rode past in the front half and playing in the small technical tree areas the entire time.

Gotta give a 100 pound girl credit that can handle a full size sled.

SAM_0295.jpg

I LOVE your post so much!! Thank you for sharing this. If you "get" where we are coming from, we tend to push harder and further than we've ever tried before. Knowing you believe we can do it, and you think we are AWESOME for just trying fills our confidence to massive levels.

joebrokeit

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the post and all ya do for the ladies in this sport. I have the best riding buddy in the world, she has been keeping me on the snow for 22 years! I've done all the no no's and had some really cold rides home. I think I've learned more from her than she has fom me :dwe are currentley putting all our collective patience to the test ! our newest riding buddies are our3 girls ( 13 ,11,11) side note guys careful what you wish for this isn't what i was thinking when i wished to surrounded by women LOL.The best thing is when some of your guy riding buddies come over and say "man no matter what i did they where right there , those girls can ride"!!!!! :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the post and all ya do for the ladies in this sport. I have the best riding buddy in the world, she has been keeping me on the snow for 22 years! I've done all the no no's and had some really cold rides home. I think I've learned more from her than she has fom me :dwe are currentley putting all our collective patience to the test ! our newest riding buddies are our3 girls ( 13 ,11,11) side note guys careful what you wish for this isn't what i was thinking when i wished to surrounded by women LOL.The best thing is when some of your guy riding buddies come over and say "man no matter what i did they where right there , those girls can ride"!!!!! :)

thank you for your awesome post!! I'm excited for your journey with your girls.. Brookie, who is 16 is going to be with us a lot more this year. Tater Bug (Tatum) is 12 and itching to ride more aggressively too. Please keep in touch with us. I'd love it if you could share your progress with your girls!!
is our Betties Website. If you need any help, or anything let us know. I'd sure love to meet your posse of shreddin girls for sure! Good on you and your wife. 22 years! I love it! (OMGOSH you have twins!!!!! I've always wanted twins!)
Shred on awesome family!!!

Trish :)

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If we husbands approached our rides with our sweethearts with this picture foremost in our minds, things would go great all the time ;)...................................................................................................:behindsofa:

5310_A-Good-Wife-Always-Forgives-Her-Husband_faadooindia.com_.jpg

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A great post. I have had very similar experiences with my family. I have 2 daughters and a wife that I love to ride with. Some of my best memories of riding are with these 3 beautiful people. I hear you on the "cold rides home", I've been on a few of those too and they were almost always caused by my mouth being in gear way ahead of my noggin :d

Top Bottom