The dirt bike 2 vs 4 stroke debate!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting into dirt bikes but I'm struggling in the 2 vs 4 stroke debate so I want to hear your guys opinions. What do you ride and why? Would you prefer? I'm mostly going to be trail riding with this thing so track guys let's hear what you think about the better trail bike

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The KTM 530exc was the best bike if ever owned or ridden. Loved that bike. Soaked everything up and with electric start was amazing. I had bought a 250 2 stroke a day before and had to sell one. Kept the 530 and it was the right decision.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way a 4 stroke can make as much power as a 2 stroke is to spin it twice as fast....then reliability and longevity go out the window. I've got a few buds that jumped on the 4 stroke race bikes for a few years, but after having to rebuild the motors at HUGE $$$ every 4 or 5 races in order to stay competitive, they are back on 2 strokes now.

Motocross Action Magazine | TWO-STROKE VERSUS FOUR-STROKE: 2012 KTM 250SXF VS 2012 KTM 250SX

2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke Dirt Bike - How They Measure Up On The Track | MotoSport <----read the comments on this article. LOL

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said 2 stroke are cheap and easy to maintain. 4 stroke are lot more money to rebuild.
As for riding them I went to a 450 and loved the power! It was super easy to ride in the trails. The 2 stroke you had to be on the clutch a lot more. Another thing is not as many 2 strokes around if you are buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
300 2s is the ultimate trail bike. Less maintenance than a 4s and much cheaper to rebuild when the time comes. They also have great resale as there is always a ton of demand for them. I have met very few people that can ride a 450+ 4s fast on single track. 450's are popular but unless you are a track or gravel pit rider stick with the 2s.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big are you? Have you ridden dirtbikes in the past? How much do you want to jump into it (money wise)?

I ride a ktm 500 exc. It has big torque to get me (270lbs) up hills without revving and clutching too much, and a real smooth ride. It's also street legal and not cheap at all.

Had a 530exc for years before that had no problems and had 140 hours on the engine before it needed a new piston, only adjusted the valves twice

If you're small-mid size you definitely don't need this much bike though

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend the 2 stroke,after having a few 4 strokes the last being yz 450 I am now on a KTM 300 six days I am very happy with my decision to go that way, lots of low end,nice and light,plenty of top end,awsome all around bike.They have tunable Powerband and suspension is the best I've ever had.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big are you? Have you ridden dirtbikes in the past? How much do you want to jump into it (money wise)?

I ride a ktm 500 exc. It has big torque to get me (270lbs) up hills without revving and clutching too much, and a real smooth ride. It's also street legal and not cheap at all.

Had a 530exc for years before that had no problems and had 140 hours on the engine before it needed a new piston, only adjusted the valves twice

If you're small-mid size you definitely don't need this much bike though

im 6'2" and about 190 lbs, I don't want a huge bike because it's mostly going to be for cross country and no track, also a 450 is pretty much a no for me because I don't really want that big of a bike. I rode about ten years but not a whole lot. I'm leaning heavily towards a two stroke just for ease of maintenance but I know bike tech has advanced a lot in recent years.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are getting back into you could alway go with a smaller 4 stroke like I did after a 10 year lay off. I picked up a mint klx300 a few years ago that was a great bike. Light weight. Good power for trail riding. only cost me $1300. It can then help you decide what you want and need.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Long live the 2 stroke&#55357;&#56846; I have a 14 YZ250. Love it we ride mostly trails. A couple of my buddy's have KTM300xc 2 strokes with Rekluse clutches on them. Those bikes are awesome for trails. Lots of low end plus they pull really good up top.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 smoke all day long for this guy. Kicking my 2 smoke to life gives me goosebumps, kickin a 4 stroke is like starting my lawnmower, underwhelming. But to each their own, try both before you buy if you can your the one that has to live with it

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It boils down to what you want to do with the bike. Current MX450's are high maintenance. If you want more tractable 4S power, a KTM 450 EXC, Yamaha WR450, or Kawasaki KLX450 is a good choice. On the 2 stroke side of the fence, I would look long and hard at a KTM 250 or 300 EXC - they are that good. Husky makes a good off road 2 stroke as well, basically a Katoom in different clothing. If you plan to ride crown land, you will need a headlight & taillight anyway... good luck in your decision.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it will have enough power for you or not but I ride a CRF250X and love it. E-start, headlight/taillight if your ridin crownland and a ride cushy ride. Haven't had any issues yet with mine.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 300 is a good bike for the trails, but I ended up going to a 350 ktm and it is by far the funnest bike I have ridden it kind of reminds me of a compromise between the 300 2 stroke and the 450. Power is there if you need it but you have to rev it a little higher but on climbs and off camber stuff it stays really planted and doesn't have the kick out like the 300 had. Haven't rode a 300 with the new suspension that they came out with a bit ago but that was the only real complaint I had with the 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it will have enough power for you or not but I ride a CRF250X and love it. E-start, headlight/taillight if your ridin crownland and a ride cushy ride. Haven't had any issues yet with mine.

Great bike. I ride a wr 250r and the convenience of street legal is awesome. It trail rides ok, definitely not going to win an enduro on it but that's not what i use it for.

Cruise logging roads all day long

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the consensus here seems to be 2 stroke with a few exceptions? I'm looking at either a Ktm(husky) 300 or 350 I think, from the sounds of it the 300 is easier to ride with the exception of the back tire slipping out on loose stuff easier. I like the idea of the 350 but the high rev limiter scares me because anything spinning that fast has got to be a ticking time bomb.

I'm staying away from the jap bikes for now just because it seems the ktm is king in enduro and i'm not a track guy so...

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2stroke all the way. The power is crazy and they are lighter then a 4s. less cost to keep on the trail. Do have to do more pistons and rings then a 4s but worth it. They rec new rings every 50 hours that way you dont scratch you cylinder.

Top Bottom