250f vs 450f?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is a 250f too small for a 220lb rider? Most people are telling me to get a 450.
Would be mostly trail riding, IE bruderheim. Not much track/jumps at all. Used to have a KTM 250f and it did the job but with prices these days a 450 is almost the same and pondering the idea of getting one. What would you guys do? Stick with the 250 and get a better rear sprocket?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1689956916213.jpeg

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is a 250f too small for a 220lb rider? Most people are telling me to get a 450.
Would be mostly trail riding, IE bruderheim. Not much track/jumps at all. Used to have a KTM 250f and it did the job but with prices these days a 450 is almost the same and pondering the idea of getting one. What would you guys do? Stick with the 250 and get a better rear sprocket?
When I rode husqvarna 450 dirt bikes, I was really good at one timing ch!t. Riding the bike to maximum speed and handling what comes. I never hit jumps repeatedly or did lap after lap. Just feet on the pegs ripping. If you like the thrill of high speed, Ripin a 450 is the only way to go. If you’re going for smoothness and technique or If you’re doing laps and jumping a lot a 250 is awesome.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you like going fast? If so get the 450.

Only in a straight line on flat ground lol. Got in a bad quad rut and almsot got paralyzed last time I rode. Which is why I think going slow for a while till I get my confidence back

Best answer is 300, as in KTM Xc-w
Thats what a lotta people say too. But dam are parts expensive. or even a 350 maybe ?

When I rode husqvarna 450 dirt bikes, I was really good at one timing ch!t. Riding the bike to maximum speed and handling what comes. I never hit jumps repeatedly or did lap after lap. Just feet on the pegs ripping. If you like the thrill of high speed, Ripin a 450 is the only way to go. If you’re going for smoothness and technique or If you’re doing laps and jumping a lot a 250 is awesome.

husqvarna s even more expensive than the ktm :(

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only in a straight line on flat ground lol. Got in a bad quad rut and almsot got paralyzed last time I rode. Which is why I think going slow for a while till I get my confidence back

Thats what a lotta people say too. But dam are parts expensive. or even a 350 maybe ?

husqvarna s even more expensive than the ktm :(
If you’ve been injured that badly and basically want to get out on a dirtbike, A nice 250 with signal lights and brake light is where I would go. You could ride that thing anywhere not get harassed by cops and just enjoy your day. That’s probably what I should’ve done. I quit dirtbikes three different times in 20 yrs from crashes on 450s. Riding them at speed will eventually spank your ass lol and your knees

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’ve been injured that badly and basically want to get out on a dirtbike, A nice 250 with signal lights and brake light is where I would go. You could ride that thing anywhere not get harassed by cops and just enjoy your day. That’s probably what I should’ve done. I quit dirtbikes three different times in 20 yrs from crashes on 450s. Riding them at speed will eventually spank your ass lol and your knees

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. Wanting to have some fun again and riding a 4x4 quad just isnt the same. The have their place (mud, muskeg, etc)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been a few years since I’ve driven any dirt bike. My kxf 450 was crazy power loved that bike. Drove a couple 250 and never could bring myself to like them. Bottom end wasn’t bad but fell flat on top end pretty fast. Always found myself looking for more. And was probably only 160 pounds at the time. And the 250’s never lasted nearly as good as a 450 because they were wide open all the time. 450 or a serious look at the 300ktm

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mx bikes are cheap but I'm liking the new 2 stroke single track bikes. That's what I'll get next.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been a few years since I’ve driven any dirt bike. My kxf 450 was crazy power loved that bike. Drove a couple 250 and never could bring myself to like them. Bottom end wasn’t bad but fell flat on top end pretty fast. Always found myself looking for more. And was probably only 160 pounds at the time. And the 250’s never lasted nearly as good as a 450 because they were wide open all the time. 450 or a serious look at the 300ktm

Totally agree, fun at WOT for first two gears, then get left in the dust by my lighter friends. Overheated it a few times in places like Waiporous, could hear the coolant boiling. Kind of why the 450 was appealing.

Mx bikes are cheap but I'm liking the new 2 stroke single track bikes. That's what I'll get next.
Truth be told I never rode a 2 stroke. Started on a 250f.
Almost cart wheeled that thing and can only imagine what a 2 stroke would do to me lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
350 or 450. 250s just don't have enough. It might seem fine at first, but I think you'll be wanting more pretty quick

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This spring i upgraded from2016 yz 250f to a 2017 yz 450fx.
Partly so I can snowbike it, but I'm stoked with this bike!
I'm using less clutch as it has more torque.(I'm a woods rider)

And like we say about turbos when a guy says "I don't need a turbo"
You only say that because you don't have a turbo!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have different bikes for the safer stuff in life,,, don't get me right or wrong since both of them can out perform my skills at times... lol

Yes,,, 250/ 300 ,,, drop a tooth and giver...
20210725_141831.jpg

Strictly off road tires or stay at home,,, fastest way too go down is those crappy dual-sport tires... its all about traction,,, bead locks rims and super low tire pressure... Especially if you're old like me... Ha...

Slab,,, gravel roads,,, dry too damp single track and mountains...

20230715_181113.jpg

Red lunch box needs a few small changes before I thrash-it,,, it's in the 300cc class....

Both street legal...

Old green is awesome in the dirty stuff,,, been cross threaded and sideways a few times...

No wreck for this girl...

Got a run,,, the mountains are calling...

Cheers all

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if guy got a bike with a big bore?
280 cc's?

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is like everything, it's all controlled by your wrist. I always had litre bikes because I loved the higher hp and torque. The 600cc bikes just didn't do it for me. Way more bike than my skill level, but your brain controls that part.

I have a 250 and it's great but if you get on some longer stretches, your 450 buddies wheelie past you when you're topped out

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if guy got a bike with a big bore?
280 cc's?
I wouldn't myself. Seems like any mods are just a sunk cost, and make things harder to sell. I've never been impressed with any big bores I've been around. Not sure about the 250f's though

Top Bottom