250f vs 450f?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re leaning to the 450. You can’t go wrong and like lilDuke said just ride a little easier. The bike will only spank you if you get cocky lol.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bruderheim requires good power with the deep sand, if I had to ride a 4 stroke it would be a 450. Unless you're just riding the single track and hardpack trails.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this same dilemma this spring and went 250F. Many of the guys i ride with have 450's and in the bottom end not a ton of difference but they also complain that the 450's dont like to putter around trail riding as the get too hot.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this same dilemma this spring and went 250F. Many of the guys i ride with have 450's and in the bottom end not a ton of difference but they also complain that the 450's dont like to putter around trail riding as the get too hot.

How much do you weigh? Those are my same thoughts, I dnt get up to speed in 4th gear WOT doing trails too often
Sigh. The sad part is 450s are same price as 250s.
Still not sure what I am going to do :(

Stevemtb

Reaction score
Will you be riding single track in big hills or more quad trail with the odd hill? Big hill ST isn’t great on a 450 because it has so much power and doesn’t give a lot of time to hesitate before it stalls. And they get hot. 250f is similar but more forgiving because it won’t loop out as easy. 350f is the sweet spot in the middle but it makes it’s best power at higher RPMs so lugging real low RPM is a bit of a challenge.

I ride this type of terrain and switched to enduro 2 stroke eight years ago and will never go back. The modern (2013+) 2 stroke enduro bikes have very smooth linear power and lug way down low so are very forgiving. They’re also light weight and don’t get as hot.

If you’re more into quad trails or smaller hills the 450 would be a blast. Just gotta hang on!

Last edited:

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will you be riding single track in big hills or more quad trail with the odd hill? Big hill ST isn’t great on a 450 because it has so much power and doesn’t give a lot of time to hesitate before it stalls. And they get hot. 250f is similar but more forgiving because it won’t loop out as easy. 350f is the sweet spot in the middle but it makes it’s best power at higher RPMs so lugging real low RPM is a bit of a challenge.

I ride this type of terrain and switched to enduro 2 stroke eight years ago and will never go back. The modern (2013+) 2 stroke enduro bikes have very smooth linear power and lug way down low so are very forgiving. They’re also light weight and don’t get as hot.

If you’re more into quad trails or smaller hills the 450 would be a blast. Just gotta hang on

If you’re more into quad trails or smaller hills the 450 would be a blast. Just gotta hang on

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
300 2stroke for the win
Gasgas or beta. And if you shop around some of them are street legal like mine
U can lug them down. There oil injected and will do 70 mph if u wanna go fast

Always thought gasgas was a chinese Gio. Did not know KTM owns them and husq till today. Very interesting......350f seems to be leading the charge now

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re riding heavy sand and open trails 450f track bike would be great

Tighter trails the 250f would be fine

350f is the perfect size for most people

If you’re mostly trails that aren’t wide open don’t get a track bike, they suck in tight trees and you’ll just roast your clutch and get tired. Get something with lower and wider gear range like XCF-W, you’ll have way more fun

I’m over 300lbs, ride a ktm 500 exc, and borrowed both a 350f and 250f from a buddy and had no problems anywhere and a lot of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much do you weigh? Those are my same thoughts, I dnt get up to speed in 4th gear WOT doing trails too often
Typically around the 200lb, sometime more but rarely less lol. Ive been doing lots of trails with the wife and unless I really feel the need I live in 2nd and 3rd gears. Lots of bike there. Haven't ridden much track but have been hoping to get out while up in SL.

Yes the 250 and 450 are pretty close in price, i don't know how much of a difference it would be on the rebuild when it gets to that point but if thats the concern look for a 2 stroke.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you can get a 450 for the price of a 250, then it’s a no brainer!! You can change your front and rear sprockets to do whatever you want.
Another bike that’s been around for a long time is a Suzuki DR 400. Very reliable and a good range of power.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers,,, the 4 stokers are a tad heavier,,, 2 stokes seem too zip along pretty fast in the grit...

Waaaaay easier too throw around,,, they come out of the corners and whoops pretty fast...

Find the bike that works for your needs and wants and giver...

Good times for sure

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my first look at some different bikes and how they handle on the track this weekend. I have to say unless you have the ability to control that beast there isn't much need for a 450. 4 strokes definitely out paced the 2 strokes. How much of it was ability among the riders I can't comment as I don't know any of them, only what I saw.

I guess a deciding factor would be get out with some friends that have bikes of different styles and see what best suits you and what your looking for.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically around the 200lb, sometime more but rarely less lol. Ive been doing lots of trails with the wife and unless I really feel the need I live in 2nd and 3rd gears. Lots of bike there. Haven't ridden much track but have been hoping to get out while up in SL.

Yes the 250 and 450 are pretty close in price, i don't know how much of a difference it would be on the rebuild when it gets to that point but if thats the concern look for a 2 stroke.

I think if funds allow I'm going to get a 350.
My friend is the manager at riverside honda, going to talk to him on days off and see if he has anything I might want

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No no no...

Cr 500 with long swing arm

We only send the best too the top of the hills...

Lol

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing the cr500 when I was younger, that thing was a monster

Top Bottom