Temp Storage Shelter

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Im looking at something like this, waiting for a sale, uncle weiners http://unclewiener.com/product-category/storage-buildings/

Any one have one or where else can I get.

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Also need to check on the laws in parkland county. I would be putting down railway ties for base then road crush. I want to run beside where I ran power for my future garage, then I can run it into this tent and use that for power.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful, buddy put one up on his new acreage and had to get a bunch of paperwork/approvals etc. Federal building codes have taken effect or something. Need permits etc. Was in sask though, so maybe you will be lucky.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ron, buy treated lumber and forget about the railway ties. Those things will smell for years and disposal after you are finished with them is a pita.

Love the smell of railway ties. We just bought 100 of them, unused from Golden Spike Lumber in spruce Grove. They will mostly be under the ground anyway as I would put them down then Geotextile, then road crush and recycled asphalt. Then I can burn them when its time. :nono:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine at Ritchie's, also check out Micheners at end of the week they usually have some.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We got ours at Century Auctions 30x40 got it for 2500 all in, using recycled concrete as a base and I wouldn't use anything but recycled concrete.
I like the way it re knits, when it get's wet and then packed. I'm getting 14 tonnes for 300 delivered on Wednesday
I'll probably pound 4' rods in the ground, to hold it down

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got ours at Century Auctions 30x40 got it for 2500 all in, using recycled concrete as a base and I wouldn't use anything but recycled concrete.
I like the way it re knits, when it get's wet and then packed. I'm getting 14 tonnes for 300 delivered on Wednesday

I prefer poured concrete :D Because of my location I was able to get leftovers for free and poured a fairly decent slab in my 30x40. The only downside of recycled concrete is the dust, made worse being in enclosed area. I put 2 24" pins per truss, it's not going anywhere.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'm limited to what I can put on the property as well with sub-division restrictions, No C-Cans or low quality tents or shed units. I looked at the ones that they sell at the auction houses, there only 10 or 11 oz tarp material and cheaper grade. There a utility grade which there is a basic storage grade available but its a 10 oz fabric as well. There stuff at Uncle Wieners isn't best of quality either but they offer a few grades of these. Even the metal structure is better as you go up. Get what you pay for.

I don't want a permanent structure here so no concrete, I'll go with road crush followed by recycled asphalt for a pad. It will probably be for 3 - 4 years before I think of a garage. But don't want something I have to worry about with every wind storm we have either.

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be cautious with the tents. When I put mine up ~5 years ago, I did alot of research. You get what you pay for with these. They are all constructed on the slimmest of design safety factors and alot even use the tent as a structural member, because there is really no building code for these things to follow.

The buildings which can be stamped, are significantly more money for a reason - the truss sections are made of significant material, especially at the truss nodes.

I say this as I'd hate for you to do all the work to complete a nice base and have a turd for a building over top of it that will only get you 3 years of life.

My Norseman GC is not an engineered building. It is more sturdy enough for my needs, however, I'm still pretty careful on what I open on days with high winds. Ends on mine are cladded steel ends with pretty massive sliding doors. Norseman built me a square tube baserail with stubs sticking out than the hoops slid into. I Put this on treated 6x4 timber. Timber frame is anchored with 25M Epoxy Coated rebar in 4' lengths every 6'. The building frame is also anchored with flighting that is 4' long and needed to be driven with a jackhammer. Don't underestimate how much you may need to anchor these things down, on windy days I can see the trusses squeeze a bit and I can only imagine without solid end walls it's worse.

My base was built with pit run. Worked well for what I use it for - cold storage. Tried in a few spots to make soil cement and that didn't work out very well. At certain times of the year, it can be fairly humid in these.

This is on a acerage property.

With my employer, we've put a few of these up in the surrounding RM of the city of Regina and I had to design and produce pile drawings for anchoring.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm limited to what I can put on the property as well with sub-division restrictions, No C-Cans or low quality tents or shed units. I looked at the ones that they sell at the auction houses, there only 10 or 11 oz tarp material and cheaper grade. There a utility grade which there is a basic storage grade available but its a 10 oz fabric as well. There stuff at Uncle Wieners isn't best of quality either but they offer a few grades of these. Even the metal structure is better as you go up. Get what you pay for.

I don't want a permanent structure here so no concrete, I'll go with road crush followed by recycled asphalt for a pad. It will probably be for 3 - 4 years before I think of a garage. But don't want something I have to worry about with every wind storm we have either.

Build the garage Ron.......

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Recycled concrete is a great base for sure, our road into the acreage is built from that stuff. Only issue is that it does get extremely dusty with any use. I did recycled asphalt on top of the base and now have a great, dust free road.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had the option of a permanent garage I wouldn't even consider the fabric even if you're a few years out. Mine is the cheaper from the auctions, it's ok but a pain. I built big wood doors because their doors are absolute garbage. It's been standing for about 8 months no issues even with these insane winds but need to re tighten things somewhat often.

It was my only option as I rent and I wanted a place to keep my equipment dry and in the winter I can throw heat if I need to work on something but it's nothing like a garage. They are not secure no matter what you do. If you get the straight walls like in the pictures you show it gives more usable space which helps.

You could try in the middle, like the one's with real steel end walls then the fabric cover doesn't matter as much as they are high quality. But still downsides. If you don't have a concrete floor is really limits what you can do.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man you guys have restrictions for a hillbilly province.

Just put it up. I found the reason they fall down is not because of snow load but more because the snow builds up on the sides and actually pulls it down rather then collapsing. At least that's what I think happened.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom