Talk about a FLOP

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the new clutching will make a bigger difference. Also likely why they are spec with taller gearing.

The weak little Polaris liberty is able to run stock 2.09 gear ratio. It's obviously a lesser powered motor, sure, but it's drive components make up for it.

About time Doo did away with that TRA junk. Nothing worse than rebuilding a clutch every 1000km. Oh yes and of course someone is going to say I have 5000km on my TRA and never touched it. Good for you! Do you know how out of spec the components of that clutch are! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the TRA was the greatest clutch ever.......until they copied others designs :rolleyes:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on BRP for up-dating their sleds as the rest of the group will find something new in their drafting rooms.

Many of us that spent years living in the mountains on sleds find the nitch of what works for us in hill climbing, trail riding, boom-docking trees, running trap-line, extrem exploring throught out all of North America if we choose, or all the above if that is what we want.

I for one just climb on any sled and giver to where ever I want since each unit has its limits as well as our own on where it takes us. I don't need to best of the best to explore all 200 plus BC riding areas or the 49 wild-cat locations I've been to many a times over the many years.

The only game changer is age. Younger folk are getting going, and middle age are tapping it kool since we've been there/ done that.

All makes and models have given me a life time of awsome pictures and memmories, a chance to ride with many production companies, and find the holes in the walls of spectaculer shoots and runs over 14 years with two full time years riding in the 200 day seasons, backed up by 100 day stints.

Long past those days now.

Pick the sled that best fits you, ride it where you want to go, find the brothers and sisters you want to ride with, and always have a good and safe ride to share with many for years to come.

Not extrem Lem Lamb as I've lived 7 life times of what any snowmobile has given me.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if sarcasm....what other p-85 style clutch has adjustment for elevation?

that's right...none.

doo took that bitch and made it better.

I hope :Happy4:

yes sarcastic, I am curious about how this adjustment works, changing the ramp angle really affects belt squeeze and shift RPM...the best way has always been add/subtract weight without and angle/profile change....it will be interesting to see how this works....I like the dalton weights that you thread the set screws in, literally a 2 minute process to make a change

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes sarcastic, I am curious about how this adjustment works, changing the ramp angle really affects belt squeeze and shift RPM...the best way has always been add/subtract weight without and angle/profile change....it will be interesting to see how this works....I like the dalton weights that you thread the set screws in, literally a 2 minute process to make a change

You bring up a good point. With TRA adjustable clutches the sled reacts completely different from clicker 1-6. For example my freeride pulls way harder on clicker 3 than on clicker 5 however I need to run on clicker 5 to maintain 8000rpm. What that tells me is I should still pull some weight out but the adjustment at least lets you make a quick adjustment on the hill to get the most out of your sled for the day before fine tuning it after your trip or what have you

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. With TRA adjustable clutches the sled reacts completely different from clicker 1-6. For example my freeride pulls way harder on clicker 3 than on clicker 5 however I need to run on clicker 5 to maintain 8000rpm. What that tells me is I should still pull some weight out but the adjustment at least lets you make a quick adjustment on the hill to get the most out of your sled for the day before fine tuning it after your trip or what have you

we agree on something WTF :confused:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the new clutching will make a bigger difference. Also likely why they are spec with taller gearing.

The weak little Polaris liberty is able to run stock 2.09 gear ratio. It's obviously a lesser powered motor, sure, but it's drive components make up for it.

About time Doo did away with that TRA junk. Nothing worse than rebuilding a clutch every 1000km. Oh yes and of course someone is going to say I have 5000km on my TRA and never touched it. Good for you! Do you know how out of spec the components of that clutch are! Haha

Shouldn't that last sentence end with BWA HA Ha Ha!!? What a fun thread. Thank you Maxwell. New trucker cap for you.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have to give credit where it is dooo pardon the pun but they brought the most to the table this year. Not such an issue for us poo riders though as we brought it to the table last year and it was the doo guys with fancy new decals and colors and not much more to get excited about.

Maxwell has always claimed his 16 wide ruler, now that we are able to put those 174's side by side we will have the true measuring stick of which one is the king of the hill.

time will tell............

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would rather change the spring and run the same weight. The higher spring rate will also give you rpm quicker so you would be able to go back down to clicker 2-3 with the same weight. Running a higher force spring will result in higher rpm at full throttle.

But that's for another discussion.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would think Polaris,Yamaha and cat would have had some secret investigators figuring out what skidoo was up too so they at least had a chance of releasing something even closely comparable. Those release events must have had a "well this is awkward" feeling going around the room.

It's ok guys 2018 is your big year!!! Your gona get a mountain sled I hear

Well aren't we a momma's boy with a silver spoon!

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Support Quebec but they wont support us. The new 850 with 165 hp (but the old 800 was supposed to have 163....oops, sorry we lied...its really only 155. Any one remember when Mazda came out with the Miada advertized the hp and it was actually less, guy at work had one and they offered a buy back or settlement.
totally with you on the horsepower thing but i wouldnt want to introduce american trade policy vs canada into your sled buying decisions either . we have taken a **** kicking from the yanks on hydro,beef, lumber,anybody say KEYSTONE PIPELINE.. west coast boys are constantly fighting over salmon and halibut quota.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dyno that gave doo 163.9hp is the same dyno that all manufaturers were tested on in independant testing.
Now I'm no math scolar but if doo lost 10 hp..........wouldn't the others also.
Doo was just the only one to admit it.
Line all 4 brands up again and lets see what numbers come out.......no wait that was a chit idea....would kill ever stupid arguement and azzhat thread that is entertaining to read.

This is awsome reading with minimal name calling.

Maxwell if you play these whiners right you would have the ability to out run the 1/2 ton thread.
I for one think you should go at them way harder.........poo poo is the best, ride a mile tow the rest.
Poo 155 at 408# - can now be towed useing a 3/8" rope

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have to give credit where it is dooo pardon the pun but they brought the most to the table this year. Not such an issue for us poo riders though as we brought it to the table last year and it was the doo guys with fancy new decals and colors and not much more to get excited about.

Maxwell has always claimed his 16 wide ruler, now that we are able to put those 174's side by side we will have the true measuring stick of which one is the king of the hill.

time will tell............
Doo 163 pulls the poo 163, don't see why the 174s would be any different. Don't really matter anyway as according to Lund the only sled that belongs climbing a hill is a turbo yammy

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom