Swan Hills

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perfect then don't come back, simple as that, more snow for the local riders, if the riding is so $hitty then ride around barrhead, have fun in the fields and flats. If you can't find your way around out there then that part of the country clearly aint for you. Ill go out this weekend and ride some awesome snow and have a great time, sorry your so hard to please princess

Lots of snow when you're off the trails...but my 1st impression of swan hills sledding is crap really. Unload in town at the designated spot, down an icy snow covered driveway that at the end of the day everyone was spinning their way to the top (couple didn't make it)...it stopped snowing wednesday...guess not enough time to get the grader in there to clean it up a bit??? Very few signs as to where you are and where you're going...found the club house...well sort of...banks pushed up and blocked the entrance that clearly no one had been in the area since the snow fall last week...
We're fairly new to exploring new places with the sleds and in my opinion for a "major hot spot" of sledders fun and ASA area grooming are the worst we've been to yet...not enough support in the area I guess which is surprising considering how many sleds were out yesterday.

dpimpact

Reaction score
Perfect then don't come back, simple as that, more snow for the local riders, if the riding is so $hitty then ride around barrhead, have fun in the fields and flats. If you can't find your way around out there then that part of the country clearly aint for you. Ill go out this weekend and ride some awesome snow and have a great time, sorry your so hard to please princess

Quite obviously missed the point...I did'nt say the ride and snow was crap... nice to see some people just have to go off the edge on a forum though. Some of us riders like an update on all kinds of aspects in a area. And ya barrhead is lots of fields and trails looked after by a bunch of members who actually seem to give a **** about their trails and promoting a good ride enviroment.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No never missed the point, you seem to have missed the point. Swan hills, population of less than a 1000 full time residents, very little funding for snowmobiling let alone anything else. And have you ever been up there in the summer, pretty ugly muskeg country so a little hard to get out and do trail maintenance, making new signage etc. when you don't have the man power or equiptment. Go quading up there for a day, youll ride all day and put on 15 km. You seem to think all this $hit just happens on its own or something. Years ago that town was a fairly busy town, had way more full time residents, had hockey teams right from the lil guys to the older kids, even competed in high school sports etc. Now hardly nothing. The town itself has lost alot of population thus loses money as well. Without major donations they rely on trail pass money to maintain this area and they do the best they can with what they have. You don't like it then stay in Barrhead, pretty simple answer there. Swan Hills is a back country enthusiasts area. Most people who go up there I think could really care less about everything you were whining about. It has great snow and miles of terrain to explore. If you want signs to stupid proof everything then stick to the main highways because obviously a sense of direction has passed you by. GPS and a good head on your shoulders and you should have no problems at all with finding anything up there.

Quite obviously missed the point...I did'nt say the ride and snow was crap... nice to see some people just have to go off the edge on a forum though. Some of us riders like an update on all kinds of aspects in a area. And ya barrhead is lots of fields and trails looked after by a bunch of members who actually seem to give a **** about their trails and promoting a good ride enviroment.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very well put Tmo....................looking forward too thrashing some powder up there on Monday!
catmando!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too am looking forward to thrashing some pow, but going this saturday. Geez I hope they get some signs up soon or else I might make a wrong turn and end up in Uzbekestan, or worse on a groomed trail........ bring on the untouched pow I know is out there

Very well put Tmo....................looking forward too thrashing some powder up there on Monday!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I expect you to follow all the signs and leave the untouched unsigned stuff for me!
catmando!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright if I have to I will........ LOL, hearing good reports from buddies working in the area so there will be lots to go around

Well I expect you to follow all the signs and leave the untouched unsigned stuff for me!
catmando!

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been riding in the house mtn area. I hear they are logging in goose tower area and is not the best right now. We rode south of goose tower via virgina hills couple weeks ago and it was awesome. Friends went the next week and was appartently pounded out? Looking to go out Sat.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe heading out there Sat, only been there once so if anyone who knows the area would be willing to show us the area it would be greatly appreciated

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its never all pounded out, i will find untouched all day, house mtn area is supposed to be good as well, never ridden though

Dark

Reaction score
Went to Swanhills a few weeks ago on a Sat. tried to by 4 trail passes from the local club. Nobody had them for sale.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went to Swanhills a few weeks ago on a Sat. tried to by 4 trail passes from the local club. Nobody had them for sale.

The guy up there who is the most dedicated to having trails to get you to the different areas is Don Kelm. Ask around town he is well known.
Maintained trails are good way to get out of town quickly and get you into the untouched areas and back to town just as easily. Without this club putting down and registering these trails the whole area could be closed off.
For those that want to help,next year at the snow show go to the Swan Hills booth and buy your passes from them and maybe they could do a little bit more work on their trails. Just a suggestion

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping to go Sunday for a ride. May have room in the trailer for 2 more. May be just my wife and I. Can hook up in barrhead. If interested pm me.

Ps I'm not scared of the bush! Well maybe a 1970's bush.....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I hooked up in Barrhead once....thank god for good prescription plans....

Hoping to go Sunday for a ride. May have room in the trailer for 2 more. May be just my wife and I. Can hook up in barrhead. If interested pm me.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score

I'll come....Oh wait I'm stuck in Peace working. Boo! Btw 80's and 90's bush wasn't much better.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes there are lots of un touched areas......lots of sled doers in town, I would be in tomorrow if it wasn't for San Fran winning a Super Bowl, but make sure ya stop by and get a trail pass its important to donate to any local club and the hard work put in, have fun out there......cheers.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yes there are lots of un touched areas......lots of sled doers in town, I would be in tomorrow if it wasn't for San Fran winning a Super Bowl, but make sure ya stop by and get a trail pass its important to donate to any local club and the hard work put in, have fun out there......cheers.

Apparently you should have gone sledding....... :rolleyes:

Have you guys suffered the same thaw conditions we have south of you? I would imagine once we get back to below zero temps the snow we have left will be fubared.... I've been riding 2' of wet sticky snow soon to be hard & crusty......

Might trailer up your way this weekend...

Top Bottom