Swan Hills

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It aint that hard man, go to swan, unload and follow any tracks going west, they will all lead to trails and usually more west you go the more snow there is

Reaction score
I do know that much. Just hard to guess where a trail is going to end up. We like to ride new areas but a guy can only carry so much gas. Some km markings on the signs out on the trails would be awesome. Seems like a wicked area to explore out there and the best snow around

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not that hard to learn the area I've never been to goose tower and I don't know what it's like but it would be nice to find some nice long steep hills

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So judging from the pictures and reports Swan didn't get the massive thaw we had last week.....

I sure as hell would not have wanted to ride local to my place this past weekend, it'd be better now but still nothing like it was 2 weeks ago...

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So judging from the pictures and reports Swan didn't get the massive thaw we had last week.....

I sure as hell would not have wanted to ride local to my place this past weekend, it'd be better now but still nothing like it was 2 weeks ago...

10 mins north of spruce grove we found some epic snow today..
u5esa5eh.jpg
ve3uta5y.jpg

Hopefully gonna go to swan hills this weekend for a ride

Sent from a iPhone

kris.fancey

Reaction score
Good morning, I was thinking of riding the goose tower area tomorrow but i've never been there. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just head out of town on main trail & when u get to the road look at the signs & head down the goose tower loop trail & explore from there !!!!!!!!

dpimpact

Reaction score
Lots of snow when you're off the trails...but my 1st impression of swan hills sledding is crap really. Unload in town at the designated spot, down an icy snow covered driveway that at the end of the day everyone was spinning their way to the top (couple didn't make it)...it stopped snowing wednesday...guess not enough time to get the grader in there to clean it up a bit??? Very few signs as to where you are and where you're going...found the club house...well sort of...banks pushed up and blocked the entrance that clearly no one had been in the area since the snow fall last week...
We're fairly new to exploring new places with the sleds and in my opinion for a "major hot spot" of sledders fun and ASA area grooming are the worst we've been to yet...not enough support in the area I guess which is surprising considering how many sleds were out yesterday.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of snow when you're off the trails...but my 1st impression of swan hills sledding is crap really. Unload in town at the designated spot, down an icy snow covered driveway that at the end of the day everyone was spinning their way to the top (couple didn't make it)...it stopped snowing wednesday...guess not enough time to get the grader in there to clean it up a bit??? Very few signs as to where you are and where you're going...found the club house...well sort of...banks pushed up and blocked the entrance that clearly no one had been in the area since the snow fall last week...
We're fairly new to exploring new places with the sleds and in my opinion for a "major hot spot" of sledders fun and ASA area grooming are the worst we've been to yet...not enough support in the area I guess which is surprising considering how many sleds were out yesterday.

I`m Just saying. Pretty hard slam against a small club with low membership. Like many areas lots of sleds very little help from the sledders to make it better. Do you help with the Barrhead trails? They do what they can

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry you had a bad experience there are bettere areas to go out that way. I understand your frustration on the trail system hard to find maps and directions if you have no idea of the area. We usually stage out of town less people more space usually just a crappy road to get there some days. It is a great area once you have found a couple "spots" hope your next trip is better

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swan Hills is better know for the off trail riding, which brings nothing in to the club. The club right now is almost a one-man show, small town with few able to put in the hours that it takes to clear and maintain a trail network. They do what they can with limited resources.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode friday and saturday. Sunny both days. I read reports on here about 2' & 3' powder, but did not believe it till we got out there. Once you got off the main trails it was easily over the knee to balls deep in the cut-lines. 102.jpg 441.jpg

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with ronmexico and his group saturday. Had a great day with good snow. Road down to the ball diamonds was a little rough and rutted but not that bad. 3rd time to swan and like it more each time. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you want but I have no issues with the signage that is in place.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

As Mitch has pointed out below Swan is better known for it's "off trail" riding, wide open areas & cut lines with 50-100% more snow than anywhere else locally. pretty hard for a club to make a go of it when 90% of the users either buy thier passes thru another club or in many cases refuse to buy them at all.... If your looking for top notch trails, clearly marked everywhere Whitecourt may be better suited for you. I rode the entire AB Beach trail system this weekend for the first time, we are not nearly as well signed as WCt however I was surprised with the amount of snow up in the Rangeton/Stanger Hills area, very Swan-esque......

Swan Hills is better know for the off trail riding, which brings nothing in to the club. The club right now is almost a one-man show, small town with few able to put in the hours that it takes to clear and maintain a trail network. They do what they can with limited resources.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
As Mitch has pointed out below Swan is better known for it's "off trail" riding, wide open areas & cut lines with 50-100% more snow than anywhere else locally. pretty hard for a club to make a go of it when 90% of the users either buy thier passes thru another club or in many cases refuse to buy them at all.... If your looking for top notch trails, clearly marked everywhere Whitecourt may be better suited for you. I rode the entire AB Beach trail system this weekend for the first time, we are not nearly as well signed as WCt however I was surprised with the amount of snow up in the Rangeton/Stanger Hills area, very Swan-esque......

lands among that same snow belt as the Swan Hills area....

RZonetwenty

Reaction score
Rode friday and saturday. Sunny both days. I read reports on here about 2' & 3' powder, but did not believe it till we got out there. Once you got off the main trails it was easily over the knee to balls deep in the cut-lines.View attachment 148344View attachment 148345

How far out of town was this? and Which direction?? I grew up in Swan Hills and should be heading out that way on the 4th. Need to know where the snow is?!

Top Bottom