surf n

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or think of gotboost gettin kicked off every lake in northeren alberta for a 468 with open headers.... some people just need to get a lil sense of humor....:d:d:beer:

Waxy

Reaction score
I hear ya but...what is the difference with us wake-surfing and buddy in his 28 foot cruiser throwing up a 3.5 footer

Nothing other than numbers. Not many big cruisers out there running around on plane or pulling their kids on tubes.

or 30 buzzing PWC?

Don't get me started lol.

Its no longer size or activity but numbers on the water. We are also avid skiers and accept that if you want 'glass' you get your azz out of bed with the fishermen you talk of above or wait till the sun is heading to the horizon ... "Wake Sports" are a small portion of boat waves created on the lake...that I know for a fact...there are 10 times more boats doing figure 8s with tubes behind or yahoos just burning fuel for the sake of being on the lake. :twocents:

I totally agree.

There's been an exponential increase in the number of boats on the water in the last 5-10 years, and not only that, they're all bigger and more powerful. The big wakeboard boats and runabouts that are so common today were nearly unheard of back then. Ten years ago, if you had a 20' boat with a V8 in it, you were the king boating among the peasants in their 15-17' boats with 90HP outboards or V4/V6 inboards, today, you're a peasant among the $75,000+ wakeboard boats lol.

Unfortunately, the more people out there on the water, the more morons that are out there too. That's just a numbers game, not a reflection on anyone here, there's always a percentage of idiots in any activity. IMHO, the people out there tubing and ripping around tend to be the biggest yahoos, they're generally far less considerate of others than the wakesports crowd. I think it's partly because they don't know any better, but also because they don't care who their actions bother. Wakesports people aren't dumb either, they drive to minimize the creation of wakes, it's in their best interest lol.

There's just no getting around it, and for guys like me, the way it was 20 years ago when I was a teen and out there givin'er will just never be had again. I feel sorry for my kids, by the time they're old enough in another 5-10 years, it'll either be bumper boats out there or there'll be so many regulations it won't even be worth it anymore.

As for "banning" things, you'll never hear me speak those words, I'm all for people being able to do what they want, even if it's doing donuts in the middle of the lake in a 30' cruiser. I just wish people would use a little more common sense and be a little more considerate of others when they're out there.

Waxy

P.S. I guess I might ban one thing - really loud exhausts. (sorry gotboost lol) There are sound restrictions on our roads, and even for OHVs, so I'm really not sure why boats seem to be exempt. Probably just a lack of enforcement like everything else. I love the sound of straight pipes on a big V8, so a boat like gotboost's going by would actually be something I would enjoy, but when I have to listen to some guy wakeboard and pull his kids on a tube in front of the cottage in a boat with straight headers (ordered from the factory with a muffler delete for crying out loud) for hours on end, I get a little annoyed.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's best if i refrain from comment...BUT...my wife was nearly hit by a fisherman pulling a tuber on Crane about 3 weeks ago.

Waxy

Reaction score
It's best if i refrain from comment...BUT...my wife was nearly hit by a fisherman pulling a tuber on Crane about 3 weeks ago.

Tubing is definitely the worst activity for reckless driving and tearing up a lake. It's also the most common activity among those that are "casual" boaters.

Waxy

BTW - That makes said person a tuber, not a fisherman. The same way a person fishing from a wakeboard boat is a fisherman at that time, not a wakeboarder. It's not the boat they're driving, it's what they're doing at the time. And like I said, there's idiots in every crowd...

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Waxy - I hear you...I'm 45 years old, we've have had a family cabin on Wabamun since the late 1950's, I grew up out there every summer enjoying the water and am still on that lake more then 2/3rds the weekends in the summer today.

I don't remember much about Edmonton in the summer growing up but what I do remember is feeling like that lake, 19 miles long and 2 miles or so wide, was a vast area that you could play on and go hours without seeing another boat.

Not so much anymore. To your point...things have changed and, like you I do not see them changing back.

So what do we do...ban chit - no, more rules - no disregard/disrespect others on the water - no. All we can do is our best to mitigate the impact we have on the lake itself and those using it around us, be ready to assist someone if necessary and make good choices while out on the water.

Unfortunately the line of weekend warriors leaving the city with more boat then sense is getting longer and longer...maybe the boat license thing was not a bad idea after all.

Waxy

Reaction score
So what do we do...ban chit - no, more rules - no disregard/disrespect others on the water - no. All we can do is our best to mitigate the impact we have on the lake itself and those using it around us, be ready to assist someone if necessary and make good choices while out on the water.

:thumbsup2:

...and sorry for the hijack.

Waxy

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now let's get this thread back to the pics that we all wanna see....
Cal gettin comfy
P8150335.jpg

P8150337.jpg

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One surf pic, one non surf pic.

Attachments

• FS 360.jpg
    FS 360.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 241
  • surfin bird.jpg
    surfin bird.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 148

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is one good thing about loops in the summer it is the water, always calm and always moving the other way:beer:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet guys,,, good job

hoping for one last go this weds,,,,,,

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well here it is we got out October 5th, 19degrees some sun and no ice on the lake yet...
me and summitx went for a pull,, kinda cold but not bad and a few hot wings at the pub after,,, time for snow season now

the wake is look n not bad

surf n 108.jpg

surf n 116.jpg

Top Bottom