stopping at BC scales

snowtime

Reaction score
would you have to stop at the BC scales on you way in past them going to corbin with a F350, a sled in the back, and pulling a 2 place trailer with sleds on it?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
would you have to stop at the BC scales on you way in past them going to corbin with a F350, a sled in the back, and pulling a 2 place trailer with sleds on it?

HEY SNOWTIME..... YOUR ANSWER IS NO.... YOU ARE EASILY WITHIN LIMITS... WE PULLED A 4 PLACE WITH 1 SLEDS ON THE DECK AND WERE STILL LEGAL WITH A '04 F350......... NO PROBLEMO

snowtime

Reaction score
haha ya i know were in limits!! were not that heavy, jsut wondering if we would even have to go into te scales or just go right past them

..Stiffler..

Reaction score
haha @ Summitric...

yeah you dont have to stop...keep going...the scales are really only for big semi trucks unless you are pulling heavy duty equipment

Stiff

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you should stop in and say Hi. LOL!
catmando!

BraggCreek

Reaction score
In the summer I tow a 33' Bayliner 11 feet wide (wide load permit from BC). The boat and trailer weighs 13000 lbs and I never stop. Max towing wight for my Duramac is 15000. I have upgraded the hitch and chipped it out. Never and Issue. Stopped once (ah Dumb) but they wanted to know what I wanted.

Travco

Reaction score
Even if you have commercial plates. If its for personal or rec use, you are free to go as you please. Trust me I know. Have had more than my share of problems pulling loads through there with an f350 and a tri axle trailer. Do yourself a faver and stay away from the scales. All it takes is one cranky guy looking to ruin a good day.

fmx

Reaction score

You are not commercial so it does not matter what your weight is. I run a commercial outfit and it does not matter what your hauling as long as you do not have commercial plates or a registered GVW over 5500 kgs. You are hauling for personal use. I deal with the D.O.T's and scales on a daily basis and you have nothing to worry about and do not pull into the scales.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
You are not commercial so it does not matter what your weight is. I run a commercial outfit and it does not matter what your hauling as long as you do not have commercial plates or a registered GVW over 5500 kgs. You are hauling for personal use. I deal with the D.O.T's and scales on a daily basis and you have nothing to worry about and do not pull into the scales.

Still have to stay within vehicle's GVW:d

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what you ar saying is that since I do not have commercial plates I can haul as much as I want even if it is way above the GVW of the vehicle ???

this does not make any sense what so ever

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what you ar saying is that since I do not have commercial plates I can haul as much as I want even if it is way above the GVW of the vehicle ???

The answer is no,you should always stay within the Vehicle Manf weight rating, and Manf tire load rating.
If you are flagged in to the scales by a DOT officer and he finds that you are over your tire weight rating you can be fined, just because you're not a commercial vehicle doesn't mean you can get away with it, i've seen the scales closed in BC and the officers were flagging in the RV's checking the tire rating, hitch rating, ETC, Example If you have a 1500 lb hitch weight and your hitch is only rated for 1000lbs, do you think the DOT is going to let you drive away knowing you vehicle is a saftey hazard to others? Something to think about.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The only problem you have in BC is when DOT has a check stop and then they check everybody. Particularily hard on our eastern neighbors!! They really don't like decks with 2 sleds on a F-150 or a 1500 GM....:nono:

fmx

Reaction score
The answer is no,you should always stay within the Vehicle Manf weight rating, and Manf tire load rating.
If you are flagged in to the scales by a DOT officer and he finds that you are over your tire weight rating you can be fined, just because you're not a commercial vehicle doesn't mean you can get away with it, i've seen the scales closed in BC and the officers were flagging in the RV's checking the tire rating, hitch rating, ETC, Example If you have a 1500 lb hitch weight and your hitch is only rated for 1000lbs, do you think the DOT is going to let you drive away knowing you vehicle is a saftey hazard to others? Something to think about.

exactly,, you must stay within your GVWR. The only reason you would have to pull into brake checks and scales in B.C is if you are running a commercial truck and trailer with a GVW registered over 5500kgs. Sled trailers, R.V'S and any other personal or recreation trailers do not pull into scales. However you must stay within your truck, hitches and tires max ratings.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well from what I can tell there are a lot of vehicles that are on the road towing over there max GVRW

It doesnt take much to do that. My 2000 for powerstroke gvwr is embarassing. Hell in the manual they say i can only tow up to 10,000 lbs. WTF, a f-150 can do more than that!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No, as stated, re-read his post. If you are doing recreation hauling (not commercial) there is no limit on the GWV (you can be hauling 1 sled with a pickup or 10 sleds with a semi), but you still have to stay within the GVW of your vehicle.

They will still stop you and inspect if they think that you have exceeded the GWV of your vehicle, regardless of the vehicle usage (rec or commercial). They were out at Quartz a few weeks ago discussing light requirements and such with sledders. Some guys have been pulled over at the scales in Golden and sent home because they were overweight (two sleds on a 1/2 ton full of gear with fuel, etc.).

Top Bottom