Brake warning

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any other triggers for the brake warning on the dash other than the usual? Nothing in the service manual.
Been getting it almost continuously on the trail the last couple days. Releasing the throttle briefly is the only way to get it to stop, roughly 30 seconds later it's usually back.
In addition to the red light, it is also beeping and the word "brake" is displayed across the bottom of the gauge. The owners manual doesn't say it should be beeping or displaying the word, but it could be an error.

It's not ice in the lever.
The lever is stock.
The switch is installed properly.
You can hear the switch clicking internally.
Pushing the lever out does nothing.
Pumping the brakes does nothing.

Here's the kicker- the brake light functions normally. As in when you let go, it goes back to the tail light immediately.
It's only a 2 wire switch, so it's the same trigger for the light as the ecm monitoring the conditions.
The sled is operating completely normal otherwise.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm usually its that stupid microwitch but sounds like not the case.

the ECM will set that warning off if it receives any voltage down to 3-5volts which on older sleds could be corrosion on connectors on the tunnel going to the light etc that would transfer a bit of voltage across the wires but on a new sled that shouldnt be an issue. Unfortunately that wire doesnt go straight to the ECM it breaks off at the handlebars and a seperate wire goes to the ECM, some guys just cut that wire and then there's never an issue again. But i would hate to do that on a brand new machine

If its under warranty dealer should try replacing the switch, if its faulty it could still light up the tail light but also set of the ECM and rreally with no corroded connectors on a new sled thats all it could be IMO

OR, they can turn that feature off all together in BUDS so you just never have that issue no matter what.

if theres a chance your sled has seen some road salt, and you dont want to take it to the dealer just replace that switch, take apart all of the connectors and spray them with electrical cleaner and try again. There may be one under the gas tank i dont recall on the G5

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ECM will set that warning off if it receives any voltage down to 3-5volts
I'm guessing this is it. Enough to trigger the ecm, but not the actual light. The piss off is it literally started the first day after sitting in the garage for 2 weeks when the rain hit.
Anyways, it's only doing it about half the time now and I'm busy putting miles on. They can warranty it when I'm done for the season, or I'll replace it myself. The price isn't worth two trips to the dealer when you can get it sent to your mailbox.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a small 2 prong plug under the hand brake assembly that comes out once in a while. That will cause the same symptoms.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least it's not like the poo safety warning that puts the sled in limp mode if the brake is dragged a bit while on the gas..... Buddy had this happen on a big pull, didn't end well.

Top Bottom