So What's Better??

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never said that. But they can be made better than ANY new sled from the big 4. If you dont think that S chassis will lay a lickin on MOST sleds you are a bigger fool than I ever thought.

once again. too narrow minded to notice that sledding has evolved and there is MUCHMUCH more to sledding than poking at a straight up hill. yes an s chassis mod could lay the smachdown on a new sled in a climb. but thats where it ENDS. no matter how much money you throw at the old tanks they will never be as agile, reliable and nimble as the new sleds. not to mention you get all this with amazing suspension to soak up the bumps. i know thats not for you. your the guy i pass on the trail going 2km/h on his 40,000 sled so it wont overheateat or detonate, and because it just cant go over bumps at a pace faster than walking speed

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once again. too narrow minded to notice that sledding has evolved and there is MUCHMUCH more to sledding than poking at a straight up hill. yes an s chassis mod could lay the smachdown on a new sled in a climb. but thats where it ENDS. no matter how much money you throw at the old tanks they will never be as agile, reliable and nimble as the new sleds. not to mention you get all this with amazing suspension to soak up the bumps. i know thats not for you. your the guy i pass on the trail going 2km/h on his 40,000 sled so it wont overheateat or detonate, and because it just cant go over bumps at a pace faster than walking speed

Well................that pretty much covers this topic in a nutshell.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong I love the new sleds. But you can put the same rear skid on a S-chassis as you can on any other sled. Its all a mater of how a guy wants it setup. Same with the front trailing arm suspension,, you can make them long travel and put any shock you want up front. They work alot like a double A arm susension. You can make them take trails very smooth if you wanted to.

You could put the same motors in new or old,, wedges are just a bit easyier to work with fitting pipes and what not.You could have an Etec in a wedge if you really wanted...

Relability wise the S chassis is strong,, probably stronger than some of the newer ones...

In ways I think the old S-chassis(setup well) is easyier to ride in tree type riding than an Xp(I love the Xp BTW).And corner WAY better on a trail for than matter too.They feel alot like the Iq polaris to me. Easier to find a balancing point in a carve than the Xp IMO. Some people I notice have a hard time riding the Xp Chassis, but if you are good with them tho they the best chassis ever IMO and my personal favorite.

The old wedges can be setup to do what ever kind of riding you want,keep up to brand new sleds mod or stock NO problem.

Why would your average guy want to spend all that effort to go do up a wedge, when they can go to a dealer and finance a pimpin new sled that will take them places they have no buisness going in the first place?

Plus have you seen the New Sleds? They look WAY cooler than the old wedges and thats got count for somthing.

Bottom line is ride what you want to ride,, but most guys prefer to go buy a new machine, than to go spend a pile of money on a 15year old one just to prove a point...

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little bit sled trivia here for shits and giggles.. FAST inc put the first rider forward chassis sled in to limited production in 1999 called the blade..dry wieght just under 400LBS,, (friend of my dad had one) Ski doo debut the rev chassis in 2001 on there snowcross Pro Open factory race sled..

The rider forward chassis concept has been in production for 14years now.... wow time really fly's

Altough Artic Cat and Polaris have been using this concept in there mountain sleds for less than 3years.

Last edited:

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, I think Polaris came through with it on the 05' 900's. Previous to this....was nothing but back pain !

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
MAXWELL has spoken.....nuff said.
Well................that pretty much covers this topic in a nutshell.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little bit sled trivia here for shits and giggles.. FAST inc put the first rider forward chassis sled in to limited production in 1999 called the blade..dry wieght just under 400LBS,, (friend of my dad had one) Ski doo debut the rev chassis in 2001 on there snowcross Pro Open factory race sled..

The rider forward chassis concept has been in production for 14years now.... wow time really fly's

Altough Artic Cat and Polaris have been using this concept in there mountain sleds for less than 3years.

Do you think on these hand built sleds that there is any rider forward technology?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing he means the hand built blades...
I don't think they were at all a rider forward design.. still a bathtub chassis, with the rider waaay behind the motor.

Which hand built sleds? Sorry, just not 100% sure what you are asking.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Source : Snow Goer...

Ski-Doo shocked the snowmobile industry when it unveiled its radically new REV design as a Pro Open snocross sled in 2001. The new design placed the rider one foot forward of the “normal” riding position, centralized mass on the chassis and utilized a pyramidal frame that spread suspension forces over and around the engine to the entire chassis without adding weight. They weren’t, however, the first to do it. FAST did.
The success of FAST’s M-10 suspension put the heat on all snowmobile manufacturers to improve the ride and handling of their machines in the 1990s. Increases in suspension travel required higher cg and early long travel sleds suffered in the handling department. Part of the handling problem could be blamed on the higher cg of the components, but part could also be blamed on chassis flex. FAST recognized these problems and set about designing a complete machine.
Gerard Karpik and his team at FAST knew they had to lower the cg, maintain or increase suspension travel, keep the weight down, shift major weight sources like the engine lower and rearward in the chassis and stiffen the chassis.
FAST threw out its conventional tunnel and bulkhead or cross member design for what it called their Delta Perimeter Frame (DPF). The DPF is constructed of multi-cell aluminum extrusions that are welded into a triangulated configuration that wraps over and under the engine, allowing suspension loads to be spread evenly around the chassis. The track tunnel is simply a cover over the track and is not used as a structural part of the frame.
The first Blade snowmobiles from FAST were sold as 1998 models and were enormously expensive compared to other production machines of the time. The Blade, and later the REV chassis, changed snowmobile design forever.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
98 ch!t I guess its been 15years...lol

Although you didnt stand as far forward on the blade as you do on a Rev Chassis,its design was a steping stone towards the stuff we ride today...

Unless U are still into wedges...lol

And to answer LHF's question: Yes I do.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the sled builders that we are aquainted with in Alberta,the Racers Edges, Mountain Magic's, The Specialty Sleds. These guys aren't changing rider position like FAST and SkiDoo did. They were building lightweight mountain sleds based off the manufacturers original platform with bolt on products, lightweight parts they built to replace stock parts and motor mods to increases HP. If LHF thinks anything otherwise then he needs to have his head examined........................................again.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the old sleds will compete with the new sleds is just wrong. Don't matter how much money you throw at it, the new platforms are way better, technology keeps improving things for us.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the old sleds will compete with the new sleds is just wrong. Don't matter how much money you throw at it, the new platforms are way better, technology keeps improving things for us.
Why are you still running a 2007?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mabe if the old school is stock.

Stock to stock.

A Droped and rolled rev will kill my xp.

sent from my htc

Top Bottom