so i have to ask....why dont some people run tarps...?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$90000 1 ton diesel with $15K of rims, tires and lift, check
$18000 sled, check
$1000 custom wrap to look good for instagram, check
$7000 top of the line sled deck, check
$300 tarp, woah easy there fella, we don't want to break the bank, gotta save that cash for buying the local girls in Revy drinks at the bar
$300 AST1 course, again, gotta save that cash for the bar Bro!

Until I can afford a swanky enclosed trailer, my sled is always tarped on my deck. I just wish Doo would beef up the stitching on their covers. My T3's cover came apart around the spindles after its second season...

DUS

Reaction score
Bring your torn tarp to a place like Edmonton Tent & Awning. I had them fix the tear at the spindle and reinforce all the seams while they had it.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$90000 1 ton diesel with $15K of rims, tires and lift, check
$18000 sled, check
$1000 custom wrap to look good for instagram, check
$7000 top of the line sled deck, check
$300 tarp, woah easy there fella, we don't want to break the bank, gotta save that cash for buying the local girls in Revy drinks at the bar
$300 AST1 course, again, gotta save that cash for the bar Bro!

Until I can afford a swanky enclosed trailer, my sled is always tarped on my deck. I just wish Doo would beef up the stitching on their covers. My T3's cover came apart around the spindles after its second season...

It’s for reasons like this, that I am proud to drive my 13 year old truck (less than $20K), ride my second hand but low km Kitty Cat (close to $$ 1/3 of what you have quoted above) and buy my $1700 sled deck and put some work into it to spruce it up and make it last. Oh and I have a tarp and don’t just use it for summer storage. I like to think I have just as much fun if not more than everyone else on the hill

Who needs new. Old is gold if you treat it right.

Just IMO

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not against tarps I have 2 of them. one for each machine but in my experience. Most tarps no matter how well they are put on wont make a trip to revy from sk. u have the dreadful 70k headwind it seems everytime plus the 120k your driving = shredded tarp. I often leave mine tarpless. when I get back to sk I take everything to the car wash. pop the panels off and was everything. I have a old 2011 mod sled that usually comes home with me every trip. It’s seen plenty of salt but with a quick wash when I get home u would think it’s been hauled in a enclosed trailer.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s for reasons like this, that I am proud to drive my 13 year old truck (less than $20K), ride my second hand but low km Kitty Cat (close to $$ 1/3 of what you have quoted above) and buy my $1700 sled deck and put some work into it to spruce it up and make it last. Oh and I have a tarp and don’t just use it for summer storage. I like to think I have just as much fun if not more than everyone else on the hill

Who needs new. Old is gold if you treat it right.

Just IMO

I hear you man. I'd still be driving my paid for 2012 Ram if the engine hadn't decided to disintegrate last spring. I would have loved to find a gently used diesel to replace it but the market was slim pickings and the guys that did have one, wanted virtually new price. So I went to the dealer and bought new.

That said, my sled is 5 years old, my deck is 15 years old but everything is paid for. Saving my nickels for an 850 Expert is the next move.

Cheers :)

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a Polaris undercover with a 3/4 cover on my 20 AXYS. Keep everything tight no rubbing at all and no issues. Would NEVER run without. Shake my head at all the untarped sleds. The liquid Acid on the roads will get into every crevice Bare aluminum has no chance and can u say “ Electrical issues”
94c93300e0415638ea9f155ee97d3325.jpg

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not against tarps I have 2 of them. one for each machine but in my experience. Most tarps no matter how well they are put on wont make a trip to revy from sk. u have the dreadful 70k headwind it seems everytime plus the 120k your driving = shredded tarp. I often leave mine tarpless. when I get back to sk I take everything to the car wash. pop the panels off and was everything. I have a old 2011 mod sled that usually comes home with me every trip. It’s seen plenty of salt but with a quick wash when I get home u would think it’s been hauled in a enclosed trailer.

If you're using OEM tarps, I used bunje cords behind the handle bars to keep it tight and not flap. Like others have said, the place they'll wear out is on the spindles, but can be reinforced quite easily. Otherwise, look into a Skinz cover. I've had mine for 8 years now and it's still like new. They are a biotch to put on, especially the first time, so I recommend doing it inside a heated shop. Once they stretch in, they're fine. I just leave it in the truck on the floor so it's half-assed warm before you have to put it on.

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproducts/snowmobilecovers.html

minnow10

Reaction score
I run a Polaris undercover with a 3/4 cover on my 20 AXYS. Keep everything tight no rubbing at all and no issues. Would NEVER run without. Shake my head at all the untarped sleds. The liquid Acid on the roads will get into every crevice Bare aluminum has no chance and can u say “ Electrical issues”//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200107/94c93300e0415638ea9f155ee97d3325.jpg

Yes, and all that road "Liquid Acid" going through the big flat air intakes the new machines. Not good, Always tarp, the new tarps are fitted so well, if they are done up tight they have little issues. The only spot I have an issues with a tarp is along the aggressive running boards, but I can mitigate that with an extra 2 min when loading.

Last edited:

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember years back my dealer had an air box out of a semi new sled sitting on their service desk that came In for warranty.

“ sled runs like sh$@ has no power”

The inside of the box was covered in dust and fine sand .........
Sled was pulled for one winter over gravel roads and on the hiway. Without a tarp.
as was noted above. The intake filters are designed to keep snow out Definitely a great way to Dust an engine !

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched brands this year. I'm broke. I can't afford a $450+tax tarp.

And I have a deck in my 1/2 box and I haul my sled in it too. That's how broke I am. But hey. Gotta fuel the passion and have priorities.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can belive how many guys are so worried about a sled and probably don't think twice about driving the Denali through the "road acid" daily lmao

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it cause I ain't walking lol. But I also don't have a Denali.

I do wash the rigs that get driven in the winter once a week. If I could only keep up the same routine during the summer. Screw that though.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sled has got to be the least expensive part of mountain sledding. they only are good for a few years (if that) they don't hold there value at all.

maybe it's the tarp though? maybe if I just would have tarped that 17 she'd be worth the big bucks now....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sled has got to be the least expensive part of mountain sledding. they only are good for a few years (if that) they don't hold there value at all.

maybe it's the tarp though? maybe if I just would have tarped that 17 she'd be worth the big bucks now....

well maybe you would get that 5k your asking anyways lol

but really its not just the resale of the sled its the damage and possibility of being stranded in the backcountry from something that could be prevented. take care of your stuff and it will take care of you is my opinion. Sure some will beat the Pizz out of their machines no tarp no maintenance and it will go forever. But thats not always the way the cookie crumbles.

In regards to driving fancy trucks on those roads. Might seem ridiculous but the last thing anyone wants to be is stranded in the rogers pass with some old beater lol. Trucks are built for crappy roads and the best you can do is wash it and take care of it and it will last. Not much you can do about that one. My truck was nice and new at one point. Im over 400k now from roadtrips from edmonton to sicamous and edmonton to valemount over the last couple years. Its still in very good shape from regular washes.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well maybe you would get that 5k your asking anyways lol

but really its not just the resale of the sled its the damage and possibility of being stranded in the backcountry from something that could be prevented. take care of your stuff and it will take care of you is my opinion. Sure some will beat the Pizz out of their machines no tarp no maintenance and it will go forever. But thats not always the way the cookie crumbles.

I've done a few days of sledding and never had a down day from road grim. I'm sure it's happened to someone some time though haha

Top Bottom