Snow in Nordegg and Rocky Mountain House!

Shankster

Reaction score
well poop now i'm not going to be able to go! the staging area is a few km past david thompson resort headed west. you will see a sign that says waste transfer site and turn there. you will drive up that road not even a half a km then you'll see chain link fence and transfer site. the trail head is around that fence and out the backside. i have never been up there but i hear there are lots a rocks and i know for sure things slide back there so be careful! Anyone from sylvan area want to go for a day trip wed or thursday? Be nice to check it out at least before I have to leave for work for another month. JJ

dakota5

Reaction score
I have never been in there either. Whats the riding like. Is there very much open areas, or tree riding you can do that would not be in the high risk avy areas? I like the hills, but with avy conditions the way they are, I would rather play in the safe areas.

freejay

Reaction score
I have never been in there either. Whats the riding like. Is there very much open areas, or tree riding you can do that would not be in the high risk avy areas? I like the hills, but with avy conditions the way they are, I would rather play in the safe areas.

x2

I'd like to try it out sometime. Seems like a nice close place if its decent...

NAIT HADYA

Reaction score
further west of caroline along the trunk road there is lots of snow. as much as three feet in places. further west towards limestone there's more. great riding on the powerline east, north and west from the trunk road. was almost like riding in bc:)

Shankster

Reaction score
Well i've heard that this area is kinda like quartz only maybe slightly less snow. oh man I REALLY NEED TO RIDE BEFORE I GO TO WORK FOR A MONTH......the guys i was supposed to ride with had to work so i'm on my own.. anyways looking to do a recon mission so any interested lets set it up and ride and report conditions!!!! JJ

OfstieR

Reaction score
In my opinion I would give it a little time before going back into Sugar bowl.... Was in there in late spring last year after lots of snow and it was still REALLY rocky with lots of AVY potential.... I started a slide on the first bowl to the left when I was highmarking and luckilly didn't get caught up in it...

I rode out at Scalp creek last weekend and the snow west of caroline on the trunk road was great but they farther west into the mountains we went, the more windswept and bare it was....I imagine especially after this heat sugar bowl is pretty marginal....

Sugar bowl usually needs lots and lots of snow to have a decent ride in there.... but once there is lots it is pretty neat.... We were up over 9800' on a couple of saddles... great view.... all above the tree line.... but just really steep/rocky/windswept/avalanchy...

Neat place to check out though.... good luck if you do head out there!

-Rob

spike7ss

Reaction score
I too went into the sugar bowl last spring. I know the avy you started in the first bowl, saw it when we were in there. Here is a pic looking into the first bowl to give you an idea on the conditions it recieves. Very hard on tracks and skis. They say only go in there if you have a 700cc or larger machine. You dont want to get stuck in there!

sugar-bowl-13-08-012.jpg

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well poop now i'm not going to be able to go! the staging area is a few km past david thompson resort headed west. you will see a sign that says waste transfer site and turn there. you will drive up that road not even a half a km then you'll see chain link fence and transfer site. the trail head is around that fence and out the backside. i have never been up there but i hear there are lots a rocks and i know for sure things slide back there so be careful! Anyone from sylvan area want to go for a day trip wed or thursday? Be nice to check it out at least before I have to leave for work for another month. JJ

Drove out there yesterday, could not find the waste trasfer sign anywere, went all the way to the Xing. so went back to the trunk road, found some cutlines with 2-2.5 feet of snow.

Shankster

Reaction score
headed west it is on your right hand side past david thompson resort. i was out there in the summer scouting it out and can't remember how many kms past. If you were riding in 2-2'5 feet then there's gotta be that there! Either way I am going the beginning of march cause i'm in to those day trips, and i can be there in an hour and a half tops.... Back to work for me! Enjoy, people and play safe!!!! JJ:beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
headed west it is on your right hand side past david thompson resort. i was out there in the summer scouting it out and can't remember how many kms past. If you were riding in 2-2'5 feet then there's gotta be that there! Either way I am going the beginning of march cause i'm in to those day trips, and i can be there in an hour and a half tops.... Back to work for me! Enjoy, people and play safe!!!! JJ:beer:

Its actually aprox 2 or 3 km before the resort were the waste transfer/staging area is. However tjhere is a stagingarea for the horse/walking trails about 5 or 10 km past the resort but if i remember from last year correctly big signs sayin NO SNOWMOBILES OR OHVS

NAIT HADYA

Reaction score
all trails in that area have season restrictions on them. if you check the bighorn backcountry map it will show where the trail head is and the areas that you can ride.

Pullski

Reaction score
I am a frequent mountain rider and just bought the wife here first mountain sled but with the avy conditions in BC there is no way she would let me take here there. Which of the places west of rockey would be a good place for mountain sleds and for her to learn on some stepper terrain.

Thanks

spike7ss

Reaction score
Unfortunatly with the way the weather is there isnt much snow. Between the blowing wind then the hot tempatures, the snow isnt in great shape.

Pray to the snow god to bring us more white stuff!

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would wait for fresh snow...then take her west of Rocky on hwy#11 , there's lots of pipelines, some clean, some scarified (full of stumps and such whatsnots)..but WE NEED FRESH SNOW!! Startin to get into shape doin the "snowdance":golf:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I found a stump on a pipeline. :eek: Now I get to replace the new radius rod I just replaced. :( Definitely need more snow out there. Don't go to Chambers Creek. Quads have tore it up real bad.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I found a stump on a pipeline. :eek: Now I get to replace the new radius rod I just replaced. :( Definitely need more snow out there. Don't go to Chambers Creek. Quads have tore it up real bad.

Chambers always is the first to get ripped up by quads. I'm hoping for Snow this month at least a foot would be nice, or it's back out to BC I go!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After the snow this week must be some on the trails out at boundary, or hummingbird areas, anyone have any reports.

Top Bottom