Snow in Nordegg and Rocky Mountain House!

Reaction score
Just wondering how much snow there are in those regions. I would like to know if it's possible to go snowmobiling out there!

Here in Blackfalds, we received 10cm yesterday

Also some info about Chamber Creek will be well appreciate.

Thanks

Francis

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went ditchbanging Friday, more snow towards Nordegg, a good base if it snows more....as for Chambers Creek, the trails are pounded to crap from trucks, quads etc...need major snow to make them rideable...lots of deadfall that hasn':rant:t been cleaned up..most people just ride around or over it..sleds won't take the abuse..

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Guest that I will wait and hope to see more snow soon there.

We have to be patient I guess.

Francis

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a little early for nordeg and area, Usually after january, there may be enough snow. need a base so that you can ride over the lumps etc. The last couple of years the snow has been sketchy. If we get @ ft of snow this area is great to ride. I'd suggest you get a Forestry Fluz map, on line at the forestry web site. You can only access certain areas of the west country, and risk getting a few large fines if you are in an off limit area.
You can also shut down sledding areas if you abuse the rules.
Greenies are everywhere and looking for any excuse to shut sledders down.

Try Hummingbird/Onion lake, Rangers creek, Sugar bowl, Boundary area.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know much about the Sugar Bowl area. We want to head there on Dec 27th but are unsure where to stage at, snow conditions etc. Any help would be appreciated.

OfstieR

Reaction score
You usually can't ride Sugar bowl until late spring.......same goes for Hummingbird/Rangers creek/onion lake........ If we had a huge amount of snow out west a guy probably could, but its still a little early.

I have rode Ranger a couple years ago and tons of rocks all the way in..... sled took a beating....(this was end of febuary). Up top the snow was pretty good, but hard to find the trail out of the valley....

Rode Sugar bowl last year in late Feb. again....... Was very wind swept and hard packed..... Rocks in there the size of a house.....It was a really neat area though... if they had lots of snow in there it would be comparable to Golden......... Also triggered an avalanche in there doing some climbing.... very steep and avalanchy in there.......

If you do decide to check it out, you stage off highway 11.... You go past windy point on Abraham lake, and I think just past the David Thompson Resort, whatch for a sign that says WASTE TRANSFER SIGHT..... turn right into staging area... if theres lots of snow make sure your in 4x4... almost got stuck in there last year cause they dont plow the road up there in the winter......

cheer,

rob

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
So i am guessing west of Caroline would be about a foot or so ?To much for a quad or is it still passable ?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heard from rally organizer, there was 1.5 ft of snow west of caroline, for the elks poker rally jan 4/08

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
went to sugar bowl on boxing day. Some big rocks in the creek, 2 trees down, need a chainsaw to get them out of the way, but there is enough snow. There is way more snow at nordegg heading east from baldy mountain lookout road, a good 2 feet. Some idiot quads tried to go up to baldy though and wrecked the trail to about half way. Other than that the trails there are great.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Quads in Snow making snow ruts!!!! How I hate that!!!! Have landed on my ass a few times because of it, Forestry is looking at setting up quad limits in snow over a certain depth, I would welcome that!!!! Was great sleddin in Prairie till some quads wrecked the pipeline with snow ruts. Saw a pack of 7 wolves there so that made my day!!!!

OfstieR

Reaction score
went to sugar bowl on boxing day. Some big rocks in the creek, 2 trees down, need a chainsaw to get them out of the way, but there is enough snow. There is way more snow at nordegg heading east from baldy mountain lookout road, a good 2 feet. Some idiot quads tried to go up to baldy though and wrecked the trail to about half way. Other than that the trails there are great.

Hey there

How for back into sugar bowl did you go? Were you able to get right in the back over the second saddle?? Just wondering if its worth a ride right now? Seems a little early for there yet, but might head out there this weekend if its ok......

Thanks

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
I'm not too sure how far back we got, i've never been ther before to judge but there was a large crevas we couldnt cross , just not enough snow. There more snow in nordegg now than i've seen in three years since my buddy started building his cabin, but down in elevation at sugar bowl its probably not enough for most mountain machines.

spike7ss

Reaction score
Was out at the hummingbird for the second week in a row. And what little snow that wasnt windswept from last weekend is melting. Not worth riding IMO unless you have skis and a track like mine (alberta special). Lots of rocks to be found

Shankster

Reaction score
A few of us are going into Sugar bowl on the 21st of Jan. Not going to get to crazy but I will getsome pics and a snow report!

spike7ss

Reaction score
Yea, post up what its like. I dont know if they got hit with the "heat wave" we got on Saturday, +10C kicks the crap outta the amount of snow we had left. Take a hand saw if you have one, or chainsaw if you can carry it.

If you were going on the weekend, I would go, but have to work.

Top Bottom