sluggish 660 grizz(tire upgrade)

keith660

Reaction score
I just installed new 27 "mud bugs on my 2006 grizz 660. They are great in the mud and sand but have noticed a huge loss in speed and the bike has become lazy (less pep) I have lost at least 10km per hour on the top end, the bike sounds different throughout aceleration (less reving). As I hammer it from a stop there is a boggy spot around 30-50 km/hr range then she kicks in as usual. The bike still has good response on the bottom end.It will still lift the front tires off the ground at take off .I guess my question is, will a jet kit help with the slugishness? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Keith

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not very nice Luc...............................we don't all have the mucho grande budget!!!

You should price one out 'cuz they aren't that expensive........did you put nitrous on yours yet?

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just installed new 27 "mud bugs on my 2006 grizz 660. They are great in the mud and sand but have noticed a huge loss in speed and the bike has become lazy (less pep) I have lost at least 10km per hour on the top end, the bike sounds different throughout aceleration (less reving). As I hammer it from a stop there is a boggy spot around 30-50 km/hr range then she kicks in as usual. The bike still has good response on the bottom end.It will still lift the front tires off the ground at take off .I guess my question is, will a jet kit help with the slugishness? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Keith

All joking aside, sumx54 is correct with his statement. All of these quads with CVT transmissions will require a clutch kit when larger tires are installed in order to keep up the bottom end "pep".

keith660

Reaction score
I went to my yamaha dealer and asked them if I should try a clutch kit or a dynajet carb kit.. Their answer was to put a dynatek fs cdi in the bike too bring up the rpm's, has anyone tried this? They are about $225.00.

keith

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to my yamaha dealer and asked them if I should try a clutch kit or a dynajet carb kit.. Their answer was to put a dynatek fs cdi in the bike too bring up the rpm's, has anyone tried this? They are about $225.00.

keith

Although that may help I don't think it will fix your issue altogether. By putting the larger tires on, the gear ratio's for your quad have been affected and the only way to offset that is to put a clutch kit in.......

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I can't say about a 700 grizz but on the 686 grizz I put together, the biggest waste of money I spent was on the CDI unit. Go with a clutch kit you won't regret it. If your after a lot of noticeable hp gain then get a h/c piston and a mudbuster cam. My 2 cents.

P.S. If you just want to FEEL like your going fast...buy a brute forceskin :D:eek:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't say about a 700 grizz but on the 686 grizz I put together, the biggest waste of money I spent was on the CDI unit. Go with a clutch kit you won't regret it. If your after a lot of noticeable hp gain then get a h/c piston and a mudbuster cam. My 2 cents.

P.S. If you just want to FEEL like your going fast...buy a brute forceskin :D:eek:

My buddy has the EVO cdi and it makes a noticable difference but not huge. It made the biggest difference with the reverse and difflock over ride. It also adjusts the timing. He put the power pack kit in(k&n, jet kit, pre filter) and it makes a difference. The jet kit and such took away alot of bottom end bog on his quad. He also just installed a clutch kit and that semed to help turn his tires(29.5x10-12 Swamplites). It will lift the front end off the ground no problem. His next plan is the 686 or 727 and some head workwith exhaust.

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can also put brute stickers on the can-ams to make them tougher and more reliable.:alol2::alol2:

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes do the clutch kit. If you cut a few coils off the slide spring in the carb (about 3/4-1") it will help throtle response without buying a jet kit. The pipe, piston and cam is also a worthwhile mod. I am going to try a stroker crank in mine this year (+4 mm takes it to 691cc's with stock bore or 721 with big bore piston:D).

keith660

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a type (brand) of clutch kit, are they all similiar?

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with a EPI/Highlifter clutch kit. They come with the wet clutch springs that make a world of difference.

Top Bottom