sledding on water

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can anyone here give me some tips/hints for riding on open water. I am going out to the lake this weekend and want to try my luck at this. How do I tie a marker on so if I fall off I can find the sled, but not have it come off and drag?
Is there a trick to turning or is it like riding in deep powder?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call and ask for Vic 780-594-7433 during the day he has done this allot in the past, I seen some videos of it.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
take 100 ft of heavy nylon rope3/8' get a milk jug and seal it . when the sled drowns shut it off before it sucks in water. and it will drown....lol then throw the jug and then drag it to shore. get it out of the water. pull the plugs and start pulling..pull until your arm feels like its going to fall off. put some gas in the cylinder and then try to start it. if it does not start with in a few hours start pouring deseil all over and in the engine it will help displace the water.
oh yeah tie a really good knot on the sled....and wear a life jacket

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CAN you spell ... hypo... hipo thirm hy hy hy po theerm eeehaaa.. wait ! just wait one more time ... hy po therm meeeeeeeeee ahhhhhhhh that's it !!!!!! hypofriggin thermia. have fun with that

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol keep er pinned, ive been wanting to try that too but i really couldnt live with myself if my sled went under.:realmad:

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idea track speed is between 40km and 100 km anything after that you start to trench the water and generally just sink. stand about 10 inches farther back than you normally would - this gets your weight over the track and keeps your front end out of the water, i could also see loosening off your limiter to get more weight transfer.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't do it with a "holey track" machine. I used to run my 01 Summit 156 all the time down the river. The new tracks with all the holes don't work as well....in fact, not at all.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Hmmm - Sounds like you have sunk a few sleds Rusty.
take 100 ft of heavy nylon rope3/8' get a milk jug and seal it . when the sled drowns shut it off before it sucks in water. and it will drown....lol then throw the jug and then drag it to shore. get it out of the water. pull the plugs and start pulling..pull until your arm feels like its going to fall off. put some gas in the cylinder and then try to start it. if it does not start with in a few hours start pouring deseil all over and in the engine it will help displace the water.
oh yeah tie a really good knot on the sled....and wear a life jacket

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I will say that if it does sink i wont be suprised. and if it sinks and your in no shape to get ot going again. leave it in the water. it will not coorode so long as there is no air there. but its alot of fun until you get cocky. and believe me you will. i have a seadoo if you want to have some fun on the water. just remember. dont stop for a smoke...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't do it with a "holey track" machine. I used to run my 01 Summit 156 all the time down the river. The new tracks with all the holes don't work as well....in fact, not at all.
A huge X2.....was amazed at how poorly my XP skipped with the ported track....after 60 feet it wanted to go to Davy Jones' locker....no more ported track this year. my old ZX was a seadoo....that thing would go for miles on the water

Last edited:

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, no ported track, take the seat off, stand back a little farther than normal. Keep the belt dry. Stay close to the shoreline until you are sure of what you are doing, then have fun. Nothing better than beating seadoos with a sled. It is also a lot of fun pulling knee boards and skiers :)

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to do it this weekend with my 02 Mountain Cat 144, but have to drive to Edmonton to pick up the rest of my stuff (moved to Brandon MB). I think I will try it on Lake Manitoba as it it really shallow for the first 2 miles, nothing over chest deep, than I can try it at my cottage after that.

Thanks for all the tip and I'll post pics when I do it

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Good luck and have fun...Photos and video please.
Well I was hoping to do it this weekend with my 02 Mountain Cat 144, but have to drive to Edmonton to pick up the rest of my stuff (moved to Brandon MB). I think I will try it on Lake Manitoba as it it really shallow for the first 2 miles, nothing over chest deep, than I can try it at my cottage after that.

Thanks for all the tip and I'll post pics when I do it

Top Bottom