Sledding in northern Saskatchewan

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Melfort I we had friends that had a cabin at Christopher lake...spent many a winter at their cabin. Now when I'm home we usually head off to Greenwater. I'll be in Melfort next weekend and was hoping to do some sledding...guess not this year.

Too bad, your out this way a little too soon for sledding.... Still waiting for our first major dump of snow....

saskpraireboy

Reaction score
Plenty of good riding to be had in north , north east sask

THE ESKERS 2007.JPG

WEEKES 2007#2.JPG [/ATTACH][/ATTACH] EVERBEENHERE-1.jpg

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pix, saskpraireboy! Beautiful view from up on the hill. Looks like you could cover some nice territory there!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
well how far north ?
please add some info when u add pictures

there is barely any snow in battleford
and im really itching i wanna ride somewhere

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledding just north of Candle Lake is good.Whiteswan lake( half hour ish north)is good. Been in Candle had a foot of snow, went ot Whiteswan and there was like 3 feet. Little Bear lake is around an hour north of candle maybe hour and a half and sledding there is real good. Rode there in around 7 feet of snow one weekend couple years ago was definitely worth the 11 hour drive from Whitecourt. Lots of trails and there is a snowmobile club at Whiteswan Lake called Whiteswan Snow Hawks, my father's inlaws run it, real nice people.

Had an epic ride up around there one day about 10 years ago. Three of us rode from Emma Lake over to Candle Lake, up to Little Bear, and back all in a day. It was about 400 km round trip if I remember right. Long day but there was alotof snow and ther trails that were groomed were fast. GOOD TIMES.:d:beer::d:beer:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents live at Candle, we have had that lot since 1971 haha. There is cabins to rent and there is a ton of trails if thats your thing, if you go a couple minutes south there is alot of fields. The North end of the lake is very good and so is torch lake which is like a couple hundred yards beside candle. There is rcmp up there, one stopped when we were stopped and he just talked didnt check plates(trail permits are included in sask plates now) and didnt check for booze, not that we had any but he was just saying hello. There is not much you can do that the locals dont do but you know when your being stupid.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
any news about northern sask ?
where would it be worth to take a drive for a couple of hours from battleford

we got here prob about 10" at the most and its in steady move cause of the bad wind

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not bad up by st. walburg and area. they was enough to go riding this weekend. it is not blown into drifts or anything. the tracks weren't on the dirt.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any news about northern sask ?
where would it be worth to take a drive for a couple of hours from battleford

we got here prob about 10" at the most and its in steady move cause of the bad wind

Candle isn`t too bad, lots of snow to ride anywhere you want however, the trails are not groomed yet and there still is lots of dead fall to look out for from the big wind storm back in the fall. Pretty good conditions over all for this time of year.

badgerstauffer

Reaction score
Rode the trails around emma this weekend and there is enough snow to ride but it would be nice to get some more so they can start grooming. Didn't find any open water, which is usually common this time of year up there.

rgutmann

Reaction score
We have sledded around Goodsoil, Dorintosh and Meadow lake area for the past 6 years. The Trans Canada snowmoblie trail runs through these locations. Snow and trail system has been great in the past, warm up shelters with stoves are located on the trails. In the past we have stayed at the Goodsoil golf course (Northen Meadow Golf course)which has a bed and breakfast and also cabins, they have a Web site. Also have stayed at the Dorintosh Motel, only five units but are fairly new, comfortable and cheap. Hope this helps , happy snowmobiling.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just back from Hudson Bay area (Porcupine Plains) not a lot of snow on the trails good sledding in the fields and ditchs - 36 without wind pretty tough going only went 18 k to warm up shack and back to darn cold

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone been to Loon Lake this yr. like to make a trip up there

was up there a week ago. went on the railway grid and it had nice powder. we were the first ones on it. they are a couple spots were you have to cross water but it is only a couple inches deep. the lakes have a couple inches of snow and them and then sometimes you come to spots where the snow has blown away and you are on ice. the ice must be pretty thick because there are trucks out in the middle. we were the first sleds in upper makwa as we did the tour around the lakes. i am cruzing across the lake and out of no where there is a section of water about 3ft across. i had no time to stop or turn so i put her to the bars. kinda scared me because i didn't know how wide it was until i was on it. the snow up there should be way better now because we got that 6". i went sledding down by wilkie, sk this weekend and they have less snow then us. but i was still able to burry the front end of my sled so you couldn't even see it.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
well it finally happened

we got quite the dumb today
snowed all day big heavy flakes
i would say we got at least 3feet over the day

so riding now here and no longer an issue

went out to glaslyn last weekend and from there up to moose country and its good enough there to ride
prob go again sunday up to moose country

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it finally happened

we got quite the dumb today
snowed all day big heavy flakes
i would say we got at least 3feet over the day

so riding now here and no longer an issue

went out to glaslyn last weekend and from there up to moose country and its good enough there to ride
prob go again sunday up to moose country

You got 3' of snow in one day... I'm pretty sure that would made the news!

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the snow around Emma/Candle. According to the weather.ca snow report there is a foot there now. More/less?

badgerstauffer

Reaction score
How is the snow around Emma/Candle. According to the weather.ca snow report there is a foot there now. More/less?

I was up there all week last week, and there would be just over a foot now but it is really pounded out. The groomers would be out by now and with the holiday traffic all gone and more snow in the forecast it will only get better.

Top Bottom