Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, other than: TONS of wind drag, raise the center of gravity, have unwelded eyelets for tie downs.. I guess it LOOKS cool...

i have a 2011 silverado 1500 with a 1925lb payload. I was thinking ,ore of that style of a deck to keep all the weight off the front. I'm not arguing here nor there mines a 6.2 gas with 2 pro chassis sleds would i be ok? What about if i towed a 2 place trailer with the deck on. Honestly I'm getting a enclosed soon i was more curious then anything.

eagle eye

Reaction score
Honestly id never considered running a deck on a truck until I saw this setup. Like you said other then wind drag which might be less then it seems it seems like a really good idea for whatever kinda truck a guy wanted. As far as my truck goes it seems better then most for a 1/2 ton but still not what would be considered ideal. I hate the idea of pulling a 27ft enclosed trailer for 4-5 sleds but it is what it is I guess.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly id never considered running a deck on a truck until I saw this setup. Like you said other then wind drag which might be less then it seems it seems like a really good idea for whatever kinda truck a guy wanted. As far as my truck goes it seems better then most for a 1/2 ton but still not what would be considered ideal. I hate the idea of pulling a 27ft enclosed trailer for 4-5 sleds but it is what it is I guess.

Just wondering why you feel your 1/2 ton is better than most ?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many times do we have to go over this? FFS you guys! Weigh your truck at the scale and determine actual payload available, its WAYYYYYYY less than you think or what it says on the door sticker. This guy weighed his and was over, I've weighed mine and I know I wouldn't have enough payload for another sled either.

I had this discussion earlier this season with the DOT at tete jaune and they said as long as you arent over on your gvrw and you dont look like the front end is floating it should be okay... also the deck has to have working running lights and the tracks have to have a red or orange flag on them during the day and a red light on them at night if they over hang off the deck. I have a 2013 f-150 3.5 L ecoboost crew cab with a 6" lift and 35" tires and i went and bought a sled deck and loaded up a new free ride and my assault with all fuel and gear and everything and weighed it at the scales i was 400KG over weight on my back axles. i even have airbags in the rear to keep the back end up but still if the DOT catch me its going to be big trouble. take the chance if you want

For all the guys whining about the whiners and saying "do what you want" Blah blah blah, please stay the fawk away from me and my family on the highway. Seriously. If something happens to my little girls due to pure negligence with the excuse of ignorance on someone else's part, the best scenario they could ever hope for would be to die quickly in the accident.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i'm curious as to what is meant by the pay load rating doesn't include passanger....are you saying that the weight stated as the payload is for cargo only.....I will have to double check on my gmc, but my old titan clearly stated on the door sticker the payload rating only accounted for the driver. all passengers, fuel and cargo was considered payload.

i'm not going to delve into this again but all I know is that at a 1400lb pay load with one sled (600+ lbs), one deck (probably 300ish), 3 people (all at about 160 each) then gear I very quickly learned how fast you will go over on that payload.....now even at a 2000lb pay load, throw another sled up there and there you have it. 1980lbs not including gear....

I also question when manufactured and given that rating if they were accounting for 1000+ km trips through mountains with your load sitting on top of the box rails not in the box.

chit my titan felt fine on the roads with a truck camper in the back when I was a little more naïve, then when at 110km/hr you have to swerve for something you quickly re-evaluate your choices and sell the camper for a light weight trailer that is well under your manufacturers tow specs....

wow I ended up getting deeper into that than I though....

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, other than: TONS of wind drag, raise the center of gravity, have unwelded eyelets for tie downs.. I guess it LOOKS cool...

Awwwwwww, cmon! Gotta admit, it's a pretty creative way to OVERLOAD a 1/2 ton! :nono:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many times do we have to go over this? FFS you guys! Weigh your truck at the scale and determine actual payload available, its WAYYYYYYY less than you think or what it says on the door sticker. This guy weighed his and was over, I've weighed mine and I know I wouldn't have enough payload for another sled either.

For all the guys whining about the whiners and saying "do what you want" Blah blah blah, please stay the fawk away from me and my family on the highway. Seriously. If something happens to my little girls due to pure negligence with the excuse of ignorance on someone else's part, the best scenario they could ever hope for would be to die quickly in the accident.

I agree with this comment totally, and I just can't figure out why, if you know you're gonna be making trips to sledding areas, you buy a deck for 2 sleds, you know you're gonna need to take extra gas and gear, why the hell would you buy a 5.6 box on a 1/2 ton chassis. That's what I bought my wife to get around town and haul our bicycles. Everybody yips about buying a specific sled/ UTV/ RV / etc, based on your intended use, then they choose to buy a truck that they know at time of purchase is less than adequate for the intended use. And lifting it up 4 /6 inches and putting big tires usually just makes it worse.
And then come on here and tell the world, yeah I know it's not right ,And not totally safe, but I don't care, I love my reasonable facsimile for a truck, and I'm pissed off cause those DOT pricks treated me poorly. Sheesh.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many times do we have to go over this? FFS you guys! Weigh your truck at the scale and determine actual payload available, its WAYYYYYYY less than you think or what it says on the door sticker. This guy weighed his and was over, I've weighed mine and I know I wouldn't have enough payload I for another sled either.

That is too much noise from nothing, anybody who so afraid to get injured should stay at home together with their family. Driving on icy roads never been safe, regardless what desks are other ppl driving. Btw, I don't have a deck on my Sierra.
I came from Europe to Calgary, see amount of accidents on roads here and I should say, around 20-30% percent of drivers here don't have any driving skills.
Had a accident a year ago, one idiot run into my track 'cuse he was not loking where he is going, LOL. I see everyday ppl driving on Deerfoot, eating, and playing with smartphones at the same time. And after that you guys talking about safety, give me a break :)
Too many accidents here in Cagary, so if you so afraid better to stay at home.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is too much noise from nothing, anybody who so afraid to get injured should stay at home together with their family. Driving on icy roads never been safe, regardless what desks are other ppl driving. Btw, I don't have a deck on my Sierra.
I came from Europe to Calgary, see amount of accidents on roads here and I should say, around 20-30% percent of drivers here don't have any driving skills.
Had a accident a year ago, one idiot run into my track 'cuse he was not loking where he is going, LOL. I see everyday ppl driving on Deerfoot, eating, and playing with smartphones at the same time. And after that you guys talking about safety, give me a break :)

Well that certainly took things sideways! :wtf1:

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't use my 1/2 ton as a sled hauling truck.. have friends with 1 tons and trailers to do the hauling to Revy..

But is there any stats showing # of accidents in Roger's Pass and type of vehicles in general..

Obviously not looking for as detailed as 1/2t vs 1t, etc. . Mainly semi-truck vs. passenger cars vs. truck trailer combo..

In my experience when driving back and forth from Revy to Calgary every 2nd to 3rd weekend whenever I see a 1/2t pulling a 4 place enclosed, maybe it is to much and the truck is working it's balls off, but typically the driver isn't doing 120km/hr+ like I see the 3/4t and 1t doing with the sled decks, while pulling a trailer.. they seem to respect that the truck is under-powered and nearing it's towing limits.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't use my 1/2 ton as a sled hauling truck.. have friends with 1 tons and trailers to do the hauling to Revy..

But is there any stats showing # of accidents in Roger's Pass and type of vehicles in general..

Obviously not looking for as detailed as 1/2t vs 1t, etc. . Mainly semi-truck vs. passenger cars vs. truck trailer combo..

In my experience when driving back and forth from Revy to Calgary every 2nd to 3rd weekend whenever I see a 1/2t pulling a 4 place enclosed, maybe it is to much and the truck is working it's balls off, but typically the driver isn't doing 120km/hr+ like I see the 3/4t and 1t doing with the sled decks, while pulling a trailer.. they seem to respect that the truck is under-powered and nearing it's towing limits.

ICBC would have those numbers. They track everything. Not sure if it can be accessed though.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Or another option,, you go back to Europe.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

HAHA you guys make me laugh! Unfortunately, until we each get our own private highway, we all have to SHARE the PUBLIC roads and with that comes some accountability to other motorists to follow the relatively few regulations that are spelled out in the traffic acts. Maybe in Europe everyone has a private road.....

This is about knowingly being negligent and no different than drinking and driving. Read the Trafffic Act it will tell you all about "Rules of the Road" under Part 5. http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/acts/t06.pdf and reasonable considerations for other users on the PUBLIC road. I'm not afraid of driving, I grew up in BC driving on terrible roads. I don't care where you came from or who ran into you last year, but thanks for the super practical advice to "just stay home". For some other practical advice, you should contact your insurance company on what effects it will have on your policy, should you choose to knowingly operate an overweight vehicle.

Travel in any vehicle comes with inherent risk that you could be injured. No one here is denying that fact or claiming that driving is a "safe" activity.

I could care less if the a$$holes of the world take themselves out, drive your 1/2 ton at 400 km/hr with 6,000 lbs of weight in it, I don't give a flying fawk if YOU die, just don't kill anyone else. Easy Peasy.

Have a great day!

:D

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not driving deck on my half-ton, why shell I?
Just made a point if someone too afraid to drive he should stay at home and don't drive at least in winter. Because ch!t happens.
Another thing- lifted tracks with big tires, they aren't allowed in most countries, for a good reason......

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a great Day too, captain obvious. :).

>>>>Travel in any vehicle comes with inherent risk that you could be injured. No one here is denying that fact or claiming that driving is a "safe" activity

Good that you do agree with me.

>>>> I'm not afraid of driving, I grew up in BC driving on terrible roads

Exactly, if you grew up driving on terrible roads you should have some skils, so, it might help you.

Last edited:

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, about lifted tracks, they are strictly speaking not legal. But no one give a f* . So, someone who is driving non legal vehicle blames another for overloaded, that looks funny.
We are in the kinder-garden, aren't we? From practical point of view no matter how high they lift their toys differential still stays on the same level. Do these ppl understand how stupid they look?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, about lifted tracks, they are strictly speaking not legal. But no one give a f* . So, someone who is driving non legal vehicle blames another for overloaded, that looks funny.
We are in the kinder-garden, aren't we? From practical point of view no matter how high they lift their toys differential still stays on the same level. Do these ppl understand how stupid they look?

well its certainly apparent from some of your posts that people dont understand when they sound stupid . ;)

Top Bottom