Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

eagle eye

Reaction score
Where do you guys think the deck weighs 300 lbs? with ramp or without? Is the deck made of marshmallows? No chance for a 500 lb sled that has fuel. Easily closer to 600 each topped up with tunnel bag etc.

Payload is measured without things like spare tire, passenger, fuel, gear, etc. I don't know how many times we gotta say this - take the truck and sled to the scale and weigh it. Stop playing paper math and just go do it, most guys won't because they are afraid of what the answer might be, but its the best way. Full of fuel, throw a jerry can in the back, almost like you were going riding. Pretty sure you won't have the 700 lbs you think you do.

Again I don't have a deck or I would but I don't want to buy one just to weigh it. And whats an aluminum deck weigh? I assumed we were talking about those. I don't haul anything on my sled either no tunnel bag etc. I was only asking because my truck has a way higher payload then most. In Montana where I ride I see tons of new 1500 dodges with decks and id imagine they are the worst trucks for that with coils in the rear. Not saying this makes it ok to do either but id feel way more comfortable with them on mine vs the 1300lb payload dodge at lleast mines in the ballpark of being legal

chedder

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1393701359632.jpg who needs a 1/2 ton. BTW this is from the chive and that sure looks like a Calgary cop car

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled 500lbs or more, deck at least 300lbs, don't forget the ramp mine is aluminum and is 80lbs plus gear and others your probably 1300lbs. Now the factor is putting that weight up high and not in the box like the pay load is intended to be. Many people do it and get away with it.

I can set the cruise control and drive from the passenger seat but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Just be careful

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey mods! We should make this thread a sticky. Then a new one won't be made every 2 weeks.

eagle eye

Reaction score
Ok so I'm looking at a Ltz in a 2500 series will that be legal (without going to scales) or will it be nip and tuck as well? Still a 6.2 gas

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm looking at a Ltz in a 2500 series will that be legal (without going to scales) or will it be nip and tuck as well? Still a 6.2 gas

Prob be tight once all loaded up still :( but to be on safe side do all ur calculations & check it out urself everyone in here seems to be turning into baby's & every useful thread turns into pissing matches !!

Tdgmckee

Reaction score
How many welders are on here all I want to say is with 2 sleds your only 4-500 over weight my welding rig is 1ton over weight like everyone else welding trucks give or take a few hundred pounds and my front end stays on the highway and handles just fine! Welder is in a 1 ton but still thats 2000 pounds over! Trucks are way under rated like everything else!

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With one DOO with 146 track you should be good, but if you ride the Stiffest, Lightest, Most Flickable and Epic Mountain Sled the Polaris Pro RMK 800 163 you will get two on and Be Happy Happy Happy!!
:smiliestirthepot:
Yamcat's Need Not Apply!! :arguebats:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a F250 Super Duty with 2 doos on the deck and pull 2 place tandem enclose no issues plus gear for 4 guys and fuel for 8 sleds under the deck and still under weight crossing the scales i run e rated tires never had a issue with B.C "yet"

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
uhhh... NO. Maybe if it's a gasser,...

You would be borderline overloaded with just 2 sleds and 2 passengers without gas.. I know. I owned an f 250.

I run a F250 Super Duty with 2 doos on the deck and pull 2 place tandem enclose no issues plus gear for 4 guys and fuel for 8 sleds under the deck and still under weight crossing the scales i run e rated tires never had a issue with B.C "yet"

eagle eye

Reaction score
Its a 6.2 gas I'm looking at with around a 2800 payload (id have to double check that). Seems like tons to spare unless I'm missing something. I hear lots of answers but no real reasons why

Top Bottom