Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/31/ryse5a6e.jpg

I just use these reflectors & strap them to track, is this cool haven't been hassled yet or Gould I get lights? If so what Sony guys use ?

looks amber? Must be red or white on rear. Sled tailight reflector dosnt quailfy? Also if sumone had workn tailights/brakes built into sled deck on rear, say 8ft deck (11ft sled) would u still need reflector or nite lite? Im more of a trailer guy but curious

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a couple RED tail lights from Princess Auto and wire them in to the deck lights or trailer plug. Put them exactly where you put your reflectors and you're good to go.

They sell them pre-wired for boat trailers (i.e. nice and waterproof - good for travelling in the salty wet road conditions), all you have to do is plug them in and strap to the track.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
My old 1/2 tons pay load was 1500lb if I hade my sled, my single deck me and a passages with gear and, with a trailer with a tongue weight of 50 lbs I was over by 50 lbs

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yjy3e9y7.jpg
adaresem.jpg
My latest creation,one sled deck. With stow away for ramp and superclamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2 place trailer, but when I'm just hauling one sled, I've always just tossed it in the box (crew cab, 5'8" box) with no issues so far. Passed many cops and never had a problem, even in BC.

Anything over 3' past the vehicles taillights is supposed to be marked with red. But you can even tie a red rag to the back and it'll be legal. As long as the taillight of the sled is exposed, you likely won't find trouble.
Someone needs to come out with a small LED taillight that uses the tech from the shake to power flashlights, using the vibrations driving down the road to charge it and keep it lit........no wires and could be attached anywhere.

As for 2 sleds on a deck on a half ton? There's a few around, but doesn't make it right. DOT has been doing more and more random checkstops lately, even in Alberta. Saw a half ton with 2 on a deck pulled over in Calgary a couple months ago (they were pulling over anything with a load), didn't look like they were going anywhere anytime soon.........

Last edited:

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old 1/2 tons pay load was 1500lb if I hade my sled, my single deck me and a passages with gear and, with a trailer with a tongue weight of 50 lbs I was over by 50 lbs

1500 lbs? If I forgot to take a chit in the morning, I might be in trouble!

Chances are good I should be working!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1500 lbs? If I forgot to take a chit in the morning, I might be in trouble!

Chances are good I should be working!

Pretty sure you're in trouble anyway if you can sh!t that much in the morning.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payload rating does not include passengers. GVWR is weight of vehicle, payload rating, and # of passengers x 150lbs (what DOT considers the average passenger)

Only time passenger weight comes into play is when they're over the rating (5 passenger vehicle is allowed 750lbs of passengers, sad that 4 200lb guys are over that.)

DOT usually goes by GVWR on the scales when checking light duty trucks, at least in my experience, as unless it's a 1 ton with passenger tires the tire rating should always be higher.

So, with only 2 guys in the truck, 2 half filled Pros, and a very light weight deck, you have a chance at being legal. But even then you're on the edge and not necessarily "safe".

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did it once to McBride a couple years ago with two on a deck in my old gm half ton with airbags, truck didn't look overloaded, sat prefect level, etc etc. The problem was even with the bags the front end felt light the whole time and on a couple slick sections you could feel the steering get lighter which was sliding, NEVER AGAIN, its just too risky, I don't even care about the dot at that point. Its just not safe

Reactions: GRD

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 toyota crewman with a Mline deck and i am currently hauling around my sled and i can barely tell its on. Of course i have air bags. Im still going to try and haul two to the mountains. I can't see there being a problem but we will see. If i notice its to much then i guess my friends will have to get a trailer lol

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 toyota crewman with a Mline deck and i am currently hauling around my sled and i can barely tell its on. Of course i have air bags. Im still going to try and haul two to the mountains. I can't see there being a problem but we will see. If i notice its to much then i guess my friends will have to get a trailer lol

I would work out your payloads and capacities before hand.... Of they decided to stop you and your over weight the fines will suck and so will the coat of getting them back to Ab soil

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

White truck with black deck with some green on it? If it is I seen it on there facebook page and I must say it looks nice!

Top Bottom