Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

Syndicate Speed Shop

Reaction score
Nice deck no doubt, good luck crossing over into BC, as mentioned earlier I would be watching your load cap's 2 sleds/fuel and gear changes alot...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't wait for the post on how the bc cops are pricks....... some guys need to learn the hard way.

Reactions: GRD

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill keep my tundra. I don't blame the cops ill just keep playing the odds. Ive lost track at how many times I've been to the mountains in the past 8 years and not once have I been pulled over.

RMK_ASSAULT14

Reaction score
I had this discussion earlier this season with the DOT at tete jaune and they said as long as you arent over on your gvrw and you dont look like the front end is floating it should be okay... also the deck has to have working running lights and the tracks have to have a red or orange flag on them during the day and a red light on them at night if they over hang off the deck. I have a 2013 f-150 3.5 L ecoboost crew cab with a 6" lift and 35" tires and i went and bought a sled deck and loaded up a new free ride and my assault with all fuel and gear and everything and weighed it at the scales i was 400KG over weight on my back axles. i even have airbags in the rear to keep the back end up but still if the DOT catch me its going to be big trouble. take the chance if you want

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It becomes a matter of safety and other people's safety on highway. A half ton doesn't have tires, brakes, etc that can handle load. Airbags make no diff in that! I have a 3500hd diesel long box with airbags and when I have 2 sleds I notice diff in handling. Not alot but I can't imagine that load on any half ton.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payload rating does not include passengers. GVWR is weight of vehicle, payload rating, and # of passengers x 150lbs (what DOT considers the average passenger)

Only time passenger weight comes into play is when they're over the rating (5 passenger vehicle is allowed 750lbs of passengers, sad that 4 200lb guys are over that.)

DOT usually goes by GVWR on the scales when checking light duty trucks, at least in my experience, as unless it's a 1 ton with passenger tires the tire rating should always be higher.

So, with only 2 guys in the truck, 2 half filled Pros, and a very light weight deck, you have a chance at being legal. But even then you're on the edge and not necessarily "safe".
Correct...sort of. Manufacturer's payloads are different between vehicles based on options. When I used to spec trucks out for fleet use, the payload was based on a stripped down truck. A/C, automatic transmissions, pwr windows, etc add weight to the truck, and reduce payload capacity. Also, the only way your vehicle will be rated based on tire load is if it is registered and insured as a commercial vehicle - be prepared to start keeping a log book. It is amazing in today's world we will jump on a soap box about all sorts of things, and yet feel the laws that are in place shouldn't apply to us personally...
I used to do fatality vehicle inspections (to determine for the RCMP if the vehicle had any mechanical defects), and misuse of vehicles and lack of maintenance accounted for a large percentage of incidents that may have been preventable. Food for thought - it CAN happen to you, or someone you know. The best source for load info comes in your glovebox - camper loading information

Last edited:

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'm running the same tires as half the guys with lifted diesels so I'm not worried there. As well Toyota Tundras already have oversized brakes (brake pads) as large as a ford F-350 already so I'm not worried there either. I will test it out around home first before the road trip just to see how it is in the corners and how the load is. If its to light in the from end ill be able to tell right away. Everyone underestimates these 1/2 tons now a days.

It becomes a matter of safety and other people's safety on highway. A half ton doesn't have tires, brakes, etc that can handle load. Airbags make no diff in that! I have a 3500hd diesel long box with airbags and when I have 2 sleds I notice diff in handling. Not alot but I can't imagine that load on any half ton.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill keep my tundra. I don't blame the cops ill just keep playing the odds. Ive lost track at how many times I've been to the mountains in the past 8 years and not once have I been pulled over.

Playing the odds with other peoples lives. You do know now that you've stated on a public forum that you know it's wrong but you're gonna do it anyway, it becomes negligence.....you can be held both criminally and civilly liable if you kill someone, right?

Do me a favour....go to Revy or Vale....stay the hell away from here! :rant:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can throw all the big tires, big brakes, big springs all you want.....
It still is a semi floating axle, which means all the weight is resting on a couple of little shafts. If you study this pic, you will realize that a half ton rear axle is not intended to withstand these loads. It may feel ok, but in an emergency situation, you might have to swerve... that's when trouble starts.
217076d1256714232t-axles-live-dead-semi-full-floating-etc-imag0011.jpg
Well I'm running the same tires as half the guys with lifted diesels so I'm not worried there. As well Toyota Tundras already have oversized brakes (brake pads) as large as a ford F-350 already so I'm not worried there either. I will test it out around home first before the road trip just to see how it is in the corners and how the load is. If its to light in the from end ill be able to tell right away. Everyone underestimates these 1/2 tons now a days.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your in the field testing is better than the manufacturers engineering and r+d.....?

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been running one on half ton & will not be running two on it anymore u can see it starting to push the box down too defiantly not designed for half tons, gonna have to get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton in the near future & even with the airbags u can defiantly feel the front steering is light.

eagle eye

Reaction score
i have a 2011 silverado 1500 with a 1925lb payload. I was thinking ,ore of that style of a deck to keep all the weight off the front. I'm not arguing here nor there mines a 6.2 gas with 2 pro chassis sleds would i be ok? What about if i towed a 2 place trailer with the deck on. Honestly I'm getting a enclosed soon i was more curious then anything.

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2011 silverado 1500 with a 1925lb payload. I was thinking ,ore of that style of a deck to keep all the weight off the front. I'm not arguing here nor there mines a 6.2 gas with 2 pro chassis sleds would i be ok? What about if i towed a 2 place trailer with the deck on. Honestly I'm getting a enclosed soon i was more curious then anything.

That's a cool setup, u should be ok if ur payload is 1900 lb

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely some good ideas there. Nice how it uses the headache rack as a structural part of the deck support.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

IMO 1925lb payload is not enough. The sleds are close to 600lbs each, guessing the deck is about 200-300lbs, toss passenger in the truck at around 200lbs... that means you have only around 200-300lbs left to work with. Now add gear, tools, snow caked onto truck/sleds, etc...

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between hid lights, decks in half tons and light bars, y'all are starting to sound like broken records. I say if anyone wants to run the way the run let them, and if the get caught they get caught. No sense type fighting like girls.
But then how will everyone whine and cry? Hahaha. I bet half the people preaching safety on here are running old junk trucks and/or junk tires and some sweet cable chains anyway, I could care less about everyone's opinions, they're like a$$holes we all have one and nobody cares or wants to hear them, get out and ride, guarantee not one person anti half ton on here isn't a hypocrite in some way or another.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

That's a slick setup

Top Bottom