Sled Comparison / Information

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the RCMP around either. In fact, it is a good thing and I wished they would be out there everyday.

I would recommend an 800Etec for the reliability. You guys aren't going to put a lot of miles on the sled so with the 4 year warranty available (with no extra charge), and excellent gas/oil mileage, it would actually save money. No need to pack extra fuel with an etec as with the kind of riding the members would generally doo, a tank could last for 2 days.
I recommend the 800 cc with the 163" track because most of the members are large men. The 600's would work well for riders well under the 200# mark but IMHO, they will not climb easily out of Sugar Bowl or the Airport with 6-10" of fresh, and an inexperienced rider.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I was trying to be vague on purpose. Very few people are in support of the police and I didn't want this thread to turn into a slanderous bunch of posts about the police and how we do nothing, always pick on the wrong guy, are arrogant, bullies, etc. And the posts would likely turn into "the sleds we have are fine cause that way we can't get to the areas the rest of you are in..."

So, to clear up the questions - Yes, it's for police work. We don't haul or tow anything on these sleds. They are simply for us to have a presence in the mountains (think preventing a Yamaha climbing the Boulder cabin). The majority of (RCMP) members know they are novice riders and rely on you guys to help them out of ****ty situations when they get into them. And you guys have. Some of you have helped get them out of those powder filled bowls, or get unstuck. I like to think that generally speaking, the majority of members go up the mountain, shoot the **** with you guys and then head down. I don't think they are up there making a stink, causing a ruckus?

Anyway, having said that - the purpose of the patrols is primarily to have a presence. Occasionally, we may be required for other reasons (Turbo Avalanche from a few years ago). And that's where the problem is. The sleds we have are incapable of getting to or from Turbo. They have no top end and are incapable of climbing out of the steep hills. I'm not saying we need to go slay powder all over the place... But we're on the other end of the scale. I feel like the sleds we currently have are a liability. You put a novice member on it and they make a wrong turn and suddenly they're spending the night somewhere.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Hey what ever it takes to keep riding areas open, play by the rules and we all have no problems you have my support. As fernie said a 800 etec 163 will fit the bill perfect for you guys, get rid of them every 2 years no problems.

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I was trying to be vague on purpose. Very few people are in support of the police and I didn't want this thread to turn into a slanderous bunch of posts about the police and how we do nothing, always pick on the wrong guy, are arrogant, bullies, etc. And the posts would likely turn into "the sleds we have are fine cause that way we can't get to the areas the rest of you are in..."

So, to clear up the questions - Yes, it's for police work. We don't haul or tow anything on these sleds. They are simply for us to have a presence in the mountains (think preventing a Yamaha climbing the Boulder cabin). The majority of (RCMP) members know they are novice riders and rely on you guys to help them out of ****ty situations when they get into them. And you guys have. Some of you have helped get them out of those powder filled bowls, or get unstuck. I like to think that generally speaking, the majority of members go up the mountain, shoot the **** with you guys and then head down. I don't think they are up there making a stink, causing a ruckus?

Anyway, having said that - the purpose of the patrols is primarily to have a presence. Occasionally, we may be required for other reasons (Turbo Avalanche from a few years ago). And that's where the problem is. The sleds we have are incapable of getting to or from Turbo. They have no top end and are incapable of climbing out of the steep hills. I'm not saying we need to go slay powder all over the place... But we're on the other end of the scale. I feel like the sleds we currently have are a liability. You put a novice member on it and they make a wrong turn and suddenly they're spending the night somewhere.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Not being a smartass but thought Your sleds can access the cabins already, your Presence sure did not stop the Yamaha from doing a little climb on the cabin already like you mentioned. I can not see the benefit of your presence in the bowls you mention. Every one has to use a trail at some point of the day where you can show your Presence if needed. In case of an emergency I really don't think it would matter if your on turbo mountain sleds, your initial response time would be to slow anyway after avalanche experts surveyed the area to make sure it's safe fore your team to enter the area..............

I think what you have now is fine, I think your Presence could be needed on other more important things that I don't think need mentioning.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My personal thoughts, but I think you have the wrong perception. People only see it from their point of view when the cop is handing them the speeding ticket, and feel victimized, regardless of how fast they were actually going over the posted speed limit. Most guys I know have a healthy amount of respect for the police, my personal opinion is that you guys and gals have a very hard job. Let's be honest, no one calls the cops when they are having a "good" day. The police (and other emergency responders) see people at their worst, 24/7. Joe Public has an issue, he calls the cops and they just show up, no questions asked. Between domestic violence calls, car crashes, drunk and disorderlys, mountains of paperwork etc etc and always working in the public eye and having to be as transparent as possible, you folks deserve a few days a year playing in the mountains! Like many others, I would welcome a police presence, I'm doing nothing wrong and I got nothing to hide. Based on some of the threads I have seen within the year on this site about the Boulder Mt and cabin, I really think the sledding community needs your presence more.

Based on your current assessment of the sleds abilities and now knowing this information, I would say the sleds you have are likely inadequate. A nytro with a 162" track would be a more appropriate sled. An 800 might be a lot for some members, but I know that you guys carry some hefty gear around so it might not be once you add the weight factor. an 800 will also be much easier on the resale market, especially if it was a low mileage sled, when you turn them over.

I recommend the 800 cc with the 163" track because most of the members are large men.

I wouldn't say that "most" are LOL besides, you should define "large" :D ....maybe everything is bigger in the Elk Valley though.....trucks, cops..... LOL I do know in full gear its something like an extra 30 lbs they pack around though, so I would agree with that statement that a 163" would be nice.

Not being a smartass but thought Your sleds can access the cabins already, your Presence sure did not stop the Yamaha from doing a little climb on the cabin already like you mentioned. I can not see the benefit of your presence in the bowls you mention. Every one has to use a trail at some point of the day where you can show your Presence if needed. In case of an emergency I really don't think it would matter if your on turbo mountain sleds, your initial response time would be to slow anyway after avalanche experts surveyed the area to make sure it's safe fore your team to enter the area..............

I think what you have now is fine, I think your Presence could be needed on other more important things that I don't think need mentioning.

Sorry, but gotta disagree with your statement. If the sleds are underpowered, not easy to ride or pose a liability of leaving you on the hill....then no one wants to ride them, plain and simple, so their amount of "presence" will be directly affected IMO. If there wasn't a risk that you would be making it home that night, it would be easier to do spot checks for the morning/afternoon. Let's be honest here, its Boulder Mt., (groomed trail and pretty well packed highway across the top), on an 800 class sled how long does it take you to get to the back end if you gassed it? 30 mins? A more capable sled would allow them to cover the terrain faster and therefore more often.

Hope that helps.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To help you out further, I would say you are going to be met with comments from your boss/their bosses of "budget, budget, budget". Given any business, not only government, this is a valid point. Therefore, be sure your cost numbers are good, and ALSO present the current resale value of sleds 2, 3, and 4 years old. That will represent the true cost of the sled amortized over the useful life of their employ. I would only recommend two (three) choices, currently; a Yamaha Mountain Nytro long track (four stroke) as well as a Skidoo and a Polaris 800 Mountain sled long track (two stroke). I agree that currently you are underpowered to make an effective "presence" (like why the highway patrol in Germany have Porsche 911's in their fleet). I can not agree that the cost of a 800 is "so much more" than a 660 ACE, but I could be wrong (I have not checked).

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Here is one for you guys. Already has decals. 800 turbo.:p

Attachments

• IMG_00000035.jpg
    IMG_00000035.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 97
Top Bottom