SKS getting hot

cowdog

Reaction score
I need help, have a 1990 500 SKS. Keeps wanting to cook itself. Wate pump is good put new belt on today. Ride it for 20 mins temp light is on. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
could one of the heat exchangers be plugged or the coolant is not mixed properly?I don't know for sure but does it have a thermostat?.If so it could be not opening

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you feel the heat exchangers? are they actually hot? if not it could be a faulty sensor. is the coolant line on the intake side hot? if not its probably an air lock. check that and let us know

Harley Rider

Reaction score
I just sold a one of those SKS yesterday. One of the reasons for selling it was overheating on hardpack trail or hard crusted snow. This problem is common to all watercooled sleds. They need loose snow to throw up on the coolers. The SKS has coolers under the running boards as well as the tunnel. You might try something called ice scratchers which mount on the track guides or some mount on the bottom of the running boards. They drag on the snow or ice, as on a lake surface, and throw a spray of ice chips or snow on the coolers. Also lubricates the sliders which will reduce wear in that area. I removed the side covers of my SKS and that helped some but put them back on when there was loose snow to keep it out of the clutch etc.For my new sled I decided to go with a fan cooled this time so hopefully I don`t need to worry about overheat on warmer days with compact snow.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your riding around home you will for sure need ICE SCRATCHERS. Pretty icy around here right now. Need snow to cool

Top Bottom