Skidoo Fail

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is a voltage spike problem the battrey will absorbe some of it . BRP tells me that when the stator goes it can take out the coil and or the computer as well.The pull start would have no where for the extra voltage to go when it spikes. I know they have regulators but it's just a theroy as to why I have had 2 stators and a coil go on my pull start.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Food for thought...(if I didn't mention this earlier///

A stator is a big chunk of metal that rusts easily, and has a lot of magnets that attracts chunks of ferrous chit.

Get lots of metal and leave her wet.. She will fail.

Bottom line, dry out your sled ASAP/

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is a voltage spike problem the battrey will absorbe some of it . BRP tells me that when the stator goes it can take out the coil and or the computer as well.The pull start would have no where for the extra voltage to go when it spikes. I know they have regulators but it's just a theroy as to why I have had 2 stators and a coil go on my pull start.

The large capacitor sitting on top of the oil tank should take care of any voltage spike more so than the battery. I've got close to 3000 miles on my 2013 pull start without a single electrical problem. I'm also running an oil pump, coolant pump, digital afr and boost gauges, digital fuel pressure gauge, and a gps on top of the stock electrical system.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A stator is a big chunk of metal that rusts easily, and has a lot of magnets that attracts chunks of ferrous chit.

Geez the doolaide's getting a little thick in here don't you think? If this was the problem I would suspect every snowmobile in the world would be dropping stators and coils like it's hot. :rolleyes:

There has to be a defective lot of parts out there that's causing these problems. Hopefully everyone having problems is getting their parts covered under warranty.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

cuso theres no magnets on the stator. and the stator wont rust its copper around an iron core coated in resin. the magnets are on the fly wheel thats machined and keyed to your crank...that has the magnets on it and i believe they are stainless. i dont think the materials are the problem imho.

and snopro on here said ski doo got a shipment of faulty stators not sure what years were affected but maybe he will chime in ....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier guys. A batch of faulty flywheels. Glue is coming apart that holds the magnets and debris starts shorting the stator. Causes the coils to fail as well.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GLUE!!!! where have i heard that before? LOL

im pretty sure you heard it here on snow and mud. are you surprised that the magnets are pressed in with glue?. im not last time i was surprised to see something glued was on one of the work trucks from gm when the door hinge snapped off.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update, BRP said to me they have a updated coil and a updated stator that they will be installing on my sled when the new stators come in but not until August. The question now is do the early production etech motors have this new mechanical crimped stator or not

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will be installing them in new motors or at the very least retrofitting the ones already built. The dealers will not have to deal with this I'm positive.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Its not that the glue is failing but a small number of them were not glued and the sleeve starts to slip out and then clips the wires from the stator. It causes all sorts of differnt issues and all of them are gooffy. It happened to mine and I saw the fly wheel when it was removed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just going by what Gordy Radke at BRP is telling his techs at the dealerships.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The DOO is going in tomrrow to be fixed once and for all BRP is going to put in a 2015 up dated stator and new coils . I hope this will be the end of my love hate relationship with this sled .

Top Bottom