Skidoo Fail

Old mtn. man

Reaction score
Gotta be a few bad ones my buddy seemed to have stator issues with his 2013. I have over 5000 km and 82 rides on my 2014's, had to reflash for cans, ski rubbers cracked, one recoil problem, one shock and one hand warmer. Considering the abuse they hold up very well! All the manufacturers have issues I see it ever time I ride.

Terry K, is this you? With that many ride this year, it sure sounds like it must be you

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
2000km on my freeride this season. No problems-no issues. Still on the same belt. I ride stock, except for my cooker can "the thing" and always get the venting installed. very happy and looking forward to purchasing the 2016 1000cc etec that is rumored!

No problems on our 13's, nor on my present '14, I am looking forward to a T3 in the stable. I take it one year at a time and don't look too far forward!

I agree, TheThing, is a great addition.:dance:

Fuel

Reaction score
My situation is totally the opposite....

My last 3 Sleds , all Doos (2014 XM X, 2013 XM X, and 2012 Xp ) all ran flawless, and my previous sleds Cats (2011 M8, 2008 M8, and 2005 M7) all gave me nothing but trouble, so I feel maybe you got a lemon... it happens !

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My situation is totally the opposite....

My last 3 Sleds , all Doos (2014 XM X, 2013 XM X, and 2012 Xp ) all ran flawless, and my previous sleds Cats (2011 M8, 2008 M8, and 2005 M7) all gave me nothing but trouble, so I feel maybe you got a lemon... it happens !

Didn't think anyone ever had trouble with M7's. Just goes to show that there are bad sleds from every brand.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I snow checked a 2014 summit and sold a perfectly good 2011 m8. What a mistake! In only 950 km I have had a very bad PDI job one reprogram to fix check engine light and cutting out one clutch fixed sheev to fix vibration one stator to fix check engine light and cutting out three botched trips cause sled is not running properly cutting out . Now they tell me it is the coil and stator and should have a new clutch cause it is mix and match.WTF Is it my bad luck or what . All three xm sleds I rode with this year had problems.Fuel pumps and cutting out on full throttle ect. Is it only the checked sleds ? I would love to go for a ride this week but new parts will be here in aug to fix my sled WHHHHAAATTTT. I have rode over 20,000 km on three arctic cats with only minor problems none that leave you stranded or ruin a trip.Skidoo needs to step up ! Recall these problems that they are clearly awear of and FIX THIS CRAP . Sorry for the vent very depressed , could have been riding the cat this weekend.

i have a lemon also. Mine is a 13 though. First season I had 1900 km not an issue. Same belt even. This year I got on 3 good rides then nothing but problems. 3 injectors a stator and flywheel and I made one day over 10 km finally at Easter. On the trail down to the trucks it started bogging down on anything over 3/4 throttle then cleared up. Next day it started doing it again. It progressively got worse throuout the day until it wouldn't pull anything over 1/2 throttle. It has been the worst season I have ever had and have a file open with skidoo. They are working out some kind off compensation. It better be something good as I have checked a 174. Not sure what this last issue is yet as I will not be picking up my 13 from the dealership. As far as I'm concerned brp can put it on a truck back to Quebec and shove it up their as$. All my buddies sleds have been flawless and the wife's 14 has been great other than when the rear axle fell out in December.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish the dealer would give me the option of trade in as I wouldn't want to sell it my self [ bad carma] I would like to have one of these sleds that are no trouble as I think I would like it.

kwseba1

Reaction score
I have a 14 sno pro that i bought off of stojans in gp. Rumor has it that theyve sold over 500 sleds this year. Having said that, their service has been awesome! In and out quickly with self inflicted damage. Just thought id see whats new on this site and came across this thread. I went out to the mountains, blue bird day and then she starts missing and stuttering... stalling. Have electric start so fires right up again and says their is a over rev issue and timing. Sled gets progressively worse to the point i had to get pulled. Took it into the dealer and they said its a stator issue. Replaced under warranty but said it could partly be because im running a light weight lithium battery. They said their weak and the stator and coil have to work harder to pick up the slack. I somewhat believe them because it starts barely for the first time when its -15 or colder. Any comments would be great. Curious if my coil is on its way out as well or if its an ecu problem too. I doo plan on changing back to stock battery just for peace of mind. I had a tough time coming off cat and buying a skidoo but everyone i rode with that had xms had zero issues. Even though i had an issue i still believe they are the best most reliable sled out there. Cats service was non exsistant.

driller

Reaction score
battery should not be a issue as the electrical system should take of it ie pull start machines do not have a battery and run fine
all the battery is for is starting

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
battery should not be a issue as the electrical system should take of it ie pull start machines do not have a battery and run fine
all the battery is for is starting

Does the electrical system charge the battery ?. Seems to me like it should. I know putting a dead battery under charge is a huge drain on the charging system....idk:d

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if more.stators are failing on pullstarts than sleds with batteries maybe the battery helps stators run cooler .

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if more.stators are failing on pullstarts than sleds with batteries maybe the battery helps stators run cooler .
2012 renegade x. 2013 xm. 2 -2014 xm's. All estarts 3of four needed staters and coil near 2000 k

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of 3 14xm's in Edmonton that have blown connecting rods in half down the center. 2 stock and one boosted. The motor out of the boosted one was picked up by BRP and sent to there race shop in Quebec to be dissected and analyzed.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think the estart model has higher peak electrical loads on the stator because it has to charge the battery.

Top Bottom