Help with CEL on 2013 xm

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Borrowed my brother's 2013 xm. Had a runaway and smacked it into a tree. Sled ran and drove out fine. Got really lucky and only had lots of superficial damage. Changed both bumpers, tail light, front pan, front upper pan.

Get everything back together and have a check engine light. Sled starts and runs fine. Have tried to pull the code using the guage, but not having any luck. Have pulled the hood off three times looking for a plug I missed, but can't find anything. Any suggestions? Or advice on how to pull the code using the guage cluster? Hate to have to drive an hour and a half to the dealer and pay for something simple.

Thanks

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Start flashing the high low beams then hold M on the dash - I think that shows them- I gotta do the same thing to my xm - haven't got it in the garage yet

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. I was doing it backwards then. I'll try that

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically I hold the M button down first and hard, then keep on pressing the high/low until the code pops up on the dash.
Do you press it fast? Do you just keep going until the codes come up, or a certain number and times and then wait? I've tried quite a few times with no luck

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you press it fast? Do you just keep going until the codes come up, or a certain number and times and then wait? I've tried quite a few times with no luck
Yes I guess I could have included that... hold down "M" and click the High/low button rapidly.

I think the owners manual says 3-4 times but I just keep on clicking the button rapidly until it comes up.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hopefully this works Deaner, tried up loading a video.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
little air line off the ecm or some sensor on the right side? exhaust sensors all back in and connected?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
little air line off the ecm or some sensor on the right side? exhaust sensors all back in and connected?
Yup. Even pulled both exhaust sensors to clean and check them.

This is driving me nuts. It has to have something to do with the repair process. Because the light wasn't on before I tore the sled apart.

Would a different tail light cause it? It's a long shot. But who would have thought you would have to have the dealer program in an oil pump for a g4

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Even pulled both exhaust sensors to clean and check them.

This is driving me nuts. It has to have something to do with the repair process. Because the light wasn't on before I tore the sled apart.

Would a different tail light cause it? It's a long shot. But who would have thought you would have to have the dealer program in an oil pump for a g4
If those exhaust sensor cables get kinked or stretched or broken it will throw a code.

Sled will still run but will pull timing at the higher rpms.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried again, and can't for the life of me get it to show codes. Wtf

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you confirm that the M button is working? Sometimes I really have to push on mine to get it to connect when I'm trying to pull a code when it's -20

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hate to have to drive an hour and a half to the dealer and pay for something simple..............

Hahaha...............just yanking your chain Dean, but it has been about 18 hours ago since you started this thread. That hour and half drive may not have been too bad. I do understand and been there done that many times!

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gauge has to be in the right combination of display settings. I cannot remember, but the video above shows speed, rpm and trip A.
A different configuration does summerization, etc.

gofast89

Reaction score
It’s hard to completely click and flash the high beam switch fast enough. Take your time and find the “halfway” point to where the switch doesn’t quite click but the lights flash. You will be able to flash the lights way faster this way. Works better for me anyway for codes and initiating summarize mode

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gauge has to be in the right combination of display settings. I cannot remember, but the video above shows speed, rpm and trip A.
A different configuration does summerization, etc.
For popping codes up I have never worried about what the gauge configuration is in, I have done it on multiple sleds in all different configs.

The summerization mode is a little different. It has to be on odometer, and you hold the S button, but still use the hi/low button and click it rapidly.

Top Bottom