Skidoo Fail

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I snow checked a 2014 summit and sold a perfectly good 2011 m8. What a mistake! In only 950 km I have had a very bad PDI job one reprogram to fix check engine light and cutting out one clutch fixed sheev to fix vibration one stator to fix check engine light and cutting out three botched trips cause sled is not running properly cutting out . Now they tell me it is the coil and stator and should have a new clutch cause it is mix and match.WTF Is it my bad luck or what . All three xm sleds I rode with this year had problems.Fuel pumps and cutting out on full throttle ect. Is it only the checked sleds ? I would love to go for a ride this week but new parts will be here in aug to fix my sled WHHHHAAATTTT. I have rode over 20,000 km on three arctic cats with only minor problems none that leave you stranded or ruin a trip.Skidoo needs to step up ! Recall these problems that they are clearly awear of and FIX THIS CRAP . Sorry for the vent very depressed , could have been riding the cat this weekend.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not aware that these are common problems.

From what I have experienced, the doo's have their problems, but it is very minor.

along with friend's problems, I have experienced good service and customer satisfaction.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im unsure what your talking about.seeing as these sleds sell out over year.. pretty much everyone and their dog owns one..or even two. I think you have got the lemon.

But i will say, i have had one problem... was my stupid d.e.s.s. key failing on my way in the back country. however it did get me out in limp mode. The problems you speak of ive never heard. other then the ecm flash for changing the can out.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine has been flawless. Sounds more like a dealer issue than a sled issue to me.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my doos but have had many issues on my 2 2014 sleds. Stator coils on both. Clutch bolts snapped of on secondary clutch on one. Raves quit working on both sleds. One sled 2 times. Tps on both. Belts were an issue on both till I re clutched and vented them. That said I ride hard and usually burn a tank and 5 gallon pail per day so they don't get shut off much. 5300 km this season in the alpine and just over 1500 on my ditch banger. Since I had specialty do the clutches I have 1500 km so far on one belt which is awesome. Now my biggest issues are my mid 40's body. Elbows. Wrist. Knees are done for the year. Now im on Ice packs and Phisio for the spring to heal me up for next year. That said I ride with 4 other xm's and they do not experience the same and have had no issues except trying to catch me in the trees

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I snow checked a 2014 summit and sold a perfectly good 2011 m8. What a mistake! In only 950 km I have had a very bad PDI job one reprogram to fix check engine light and cutting out one clutch fixed sheev to fix vibration one stator to fix check engine light and cutting out three botched trips cause sled is not running properly cutting out . Now they tell me it is the coil and stator and should have a new clutch cause it is mix and match.WTF Is it my bad luck or what . All three xm sleds I rode with this year had problems.Fuel pumps and cutting out on full throttle ect. Is it only the checked sleds ? I would love to go for a ride this week but new parts will be here in aug to fix my sled WHHHHAAATTTT. I have rode over 20,000 km on three arctic cats with only minor problems none that leave you stranded or ruin a trip.Skidoo needs to step up ! Recall these problems that they are clearly awear of and FIX THIS CRAP . Sorry for the vent very depressed , could have been riding the cat this weekend.

So... your clutch is mix and match... and you are having problems with your sled? Thats weird.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my checked 14 is running flawless and all that I know have had very few problems. you know what they say.... there has to be a lemon in the bunch somewhere and if you have it that means I don't. Still interesting to read the issues ad did hear that the ECM's were back logged from skidoo. Thanks for sharing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crappy deal man. My group had been having unbelievable luck with the Xms since they came out. A bunch of 2013 and a bunch of 2014 all between 2000-5000km and no problems at all. Never been back to the dealer for any warranty items.

The minor issues we have had are self inflicted.

-bent a rail ....my bad
- 2 handwarmer failures
- 1 rear t motion failure

And that's all different machines.

Having a good dealer that does good pdi is important. Also properly warming up and storing your machines helps to prevent failures

But like mentioned there has to be some lemons and it sounds like you have one and your dealer is failing at repairing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our whole group rides XM's some from Cat-- cat guy is happy as can be... all of us had flawless seasons - I had heater grips go in 2 years of riding - that was the only warranty issue. Crappy to get a bad sled - literally all of us and the people we know have had ZERO issues - and there generally must be very few issues as Doo offered up a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty with the 2015again - crappy for you ... different dealer for service... maybe help you ?T

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should go back to cat. I heard they don't have ANY ISSUES between model year 2012-2014. I would say after reading this thread, 50/50% owner related problems and poor dealer support.
If you keep the sled, my advice to you is buy the BRP service manual and learn to work on it yourself in detail.

Mtdgt

Reaction score
Gotta be a few bad ones my buddy seemed to have stator issues with his 2013. I have over 5000 km and 82 rides on my 2014's, had to reflash for cans, ski rubbers cracked, one recoil problem, one shock and one hand warmer. Considering the abuse they hold up very well! All the manufacturers have issues I see it ever time I ride.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
of course ski doo has had a few issues....everything does i dont think they are any worse than any other brand of anything. its mechanical sometimes **** just goes sideways.

i know someone whos sled burnt to the ground, and we could say that fall all brands....things wont change.

p.s the xm rocks tho...haha...j/k

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree all sleds have their problems and I will be the first to say cat isn't perfect. My biggest issue is the dealer is telling me that they have had a bunch of stators that were not built properly and that the new updated ones will be avalible in aug. The same thing with the coils an updated one will be avalible in june. Now I have a $14000 sled I can't trust and in all good faith can't sell. I feel that the dealer is just guessing at the problems and yes it is bow cycle that is trying to fix it. I wish Mr Rs was still around I heard that they were the best for service after the sale.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2013 xm needed new coils. Skidoo said 3 month. My dealer did find some that showed up in 1 month. Stuff breaks down. Warranty is great. But these part should be available in 2-3 days, not months. Still 10 times better than the last cat I had. No more blowing belts, no more bleeding knuckles, and way less depreciation.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have had some stator/ flywheel issues that in turn kill the coils and possibly the ECU in some cases. It is a supplier problem for BRP where a change was made without there approval. They are working on it and a fix is in the works. Unfortunately when a problem like this happens unexpectedly for any manufacturer they will not have enough parts in stock to fix everyone. How many stators do you stock at the parts distribution center when you don't think you have any issues? Trust me it sucks for the consumer big time, is frustrating for the dealer because he wants to help the customer but its been this way forever. Good luck to catrutt getting back on the snow.:beer:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much pull and go on the 14,000KM I got on my 13

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 506

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2000km on my freeride this season. No problems-no issues. Still on the same belt. I ride stock, except for my cooker can "the thing" and always get the venting installed. very happy and looking forward to purchasing the 2016 1000cc etec that is rumored!

Top Bottom