Shipping via Freight from the U.S.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good trucking outfits I could contact? I am trying to see the cost of shipping a GM 4L80E transmission from Port Neches Texas ( 77651) to Edmonton, or Westlock, doesn't matter. I would even drive to Calgary if that was the way to go. The trans is new, dry and weighs around 180 lbs as it sits.

I have gotten quotes through Fedex and UPS.... and they aren't particularily appealing. If it's going to be more than $500 in freight before any border charges I don't think I am going to bother. It's shipping class is 24... because it really isn't all that big.

Not sure if anyone out there has used anything sucessfully or not, with reasonable charges. Thanks!

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could check with Watt and Stewart in Claresholm they have lots of trucks in texas that run up here.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Day & Ross for any LTL shipments I make to the States. I ship one of our sandblasters to Texas at least 5 times a year. Crated dimensions are going to be very close to your tranny... It weighs 240lbs, and value is pegged at $15,000. it costs me $380 to ship it, and brokerage fees through Northern Customs is $85. Now, that's going south... it may be different coming north, but worth the call to get a quote.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use and have done Uship and worked out for me all the time, I also have a friends father that goes to texas every month to get cranes, I will see what I can do,

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a trans sent up to three hills by yellow trucking, I think with brokerage and shipping it ended up being in the 350-400 ballpark, its been 6 years since then so don't remember exactly

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just talk to buddy and says if you can get it to manitex where ever that is they can bring it back on the tractor trailer, see where and what you can do first then I can see when they go.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Companies like quick-x, trans-x, h&r might have a truck they are willing Throw it on for cheap. We got an idler bearing for our how shipped from Georgia through highway 9 for 250-300

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to make phone calls to companies that are closed Saturday and Sunday, lol. That said it's looking like it's less and less worth my time. The trans is an alright deal initially but it's not worth over $2k...... and that is where this is easily going once you factor in the stupidity of the Canada/US border and freight charges....... Making it a rip off. Oh well.

Thanks.

Last edited:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
It's not going to be cheap with rising fuel costs. LTL freight will usually run you $1 a loaded mile. Some companies will go by weight or square footage. It can be time consuming to find a deal for sure. Especially if your a one time customer.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but you could easily fit 50 of the these transmissions in a 48' van. It's 2400 miles one way and if 1$ a loaded mile that would be $120000 in one load. If that's the case I am in the wrong business. I could understand that if I was the only piece of cargo on board... but that's not what I am looking for. I think if I really wanted this bad it would be cheaper for me to drive there myself and get it as it would fit in the trunk of my car. I tried to budget in $400 for shipping and duty which I thought was reasonable but evidently not. That makes it $1600 shipped ( no torque convertor which for what I want is probably another $800 at least). Realistically even 1000 fwhp won't hurt a stock 80E with a HD2 shift kit in it so I may as well get a stocker here and do that. This "built" one with my luck would just crater anyhow.

It's no big deal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom