Seriously now...

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In and out as road conditions dictate. I don't buy the wear and tear argument as most of the components are in motion anyway, the tires in 4wd on snow and ice will not wear out any faster and having good traction keeps the rear driveline from spinning and loading/unloading torsional stresses as traction is gained and lost.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i drive to conditions, if i need it ii use it,
i drive from the West end of the city to Fort Sask. an i tell ya at 5:30 in the mornin there are alot of retards ( in small cars to boot)just a haulin a**, dont get it,
hope noone gets hurt but i cant wait to c one of them fly by me, c them wrapped around a pole, or at least pulled over

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts
Bad roads 4x4 for sure all the time

Who cares about fuel mileage,,when most of you have sleds,quads toyhaulers

So a little extra fuel in 4x4 means ch*t
:twocents::smiliestirthepot:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I've driven all the way to Valemont in 4x4!! Really hardly affects mileage. :beer:

Rhino Rick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would be embarrased if I was in a 4x4 and couldn't move at the stop sign just spinning the back tires. Thats why I like to have it in 4x4. :beer::d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good! Keep it coming.

How about this....what speed are you running down the highway in 4x4?

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good! Keep it coming.

How about this....what speed are you running down the highway in 4x4?

Anywhere from 90 to a buck 20 , been doing it for 3 winters. When i have the trailer 90 to 109.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere from 90 to a buck 20 , been doing it for 3 winters. When i have the trailer 90 to 109.

X2

Except when Bogger is behind me then 80 km in the fast lane..:d:d:rolleyes:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2

Except when Bogger is behind me then 80 km in the fast lane..:d:d:rolleyes:

:realmad: i dont like those people :beer:or when you have 3 trucks in 3 lanes all doing 105... alberta was smart to not build the shoulder a foot wider cause i would use that 4th lane

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in and out of 4X4 as needed. If I can drive 80 on the highway, I don't need 4X4. If I can't get it up to 80, conditions would demand 4X4.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4x4 is for people that can't drive. Yes I agree it would be nice to have at times, but in the 5 years I have had my truck, I haven't had problems getting stuck once. Just have to be smart and think ahead. It's really not that difficult.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in and out of 4X4 as needed. If I can drive 80 on the highway, I don't need 4X4. If I can't get it up to 80, conditions would demand 4X4.

Good point. If need 4x4 to do 120 on the highway how on earth are you going to get stopped if you need to?

If you need 4 wheel drive to feel good about driving the speed your driving on the highway maybe you're driving too fast for the conditions... Just Sayin'

4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point. If need 4x4 to do 120 on the highway how on earth are you going to get stopped if you need to?

If you need 4 wheel drive to feel good about driving the speed your driving on the highway maybe you're driving too fast for the conditions... Just Sayin'

Exactly. It's a rule that has worked out for me so far...

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4x4 is for people that can't drive. Yes I agree it would be nice to have at times, but in the 5 years I have had my truck, I haven't had problems getting stuck once. Just have to be smart and think ahead. It's really not that difficult.

If your the guy who sits at the light spinning your tires to get going thinking your being cool cause you don't lock in your $8000 front end for some stupid reason then read and perform the act requested in the original post in this thread. Every time it snows I see 10 vehicles in the ditch belonging to people who thought they knew how to drive.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

4 wheel drive isn't about maintaining speed, it's about gaining traction, and actually it does help you to slow down if you know how to use it.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 wheel drive isn't about maintaining speed, it's about gaining traction, and actually it does help you to slow down if you know how to use it.

I fully agree with what you're saying. If you have the option and are spinning like a fool then click it in 4wd to get yourself going.

4wd also does help you stop to a certain extent but if having your truck in 4wd is giving you a false sense of security and causing you to drive 120 when conditions don't warrant then you're gonna be in trouble when you need to stop in a hurry because you won't be able to. I drive from Airdrie to Calgary every morning and see d bags in their SUV's still going 130 when the Highway's a sheet of ice. Which is the main reason I stick to back roads when the roads are Sh*t, less idiots!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in 4x4 all the time. If the highway's dry and clean, I kick it out, outherwise it gets locked in on the first snowy day, and comes out when I can wear sandles and shorts. The extra little bit of fuel it may or may not burn most certainly wouldn't equal a call to the tow truck.

Top Bottom