Selling at auctions

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about dropping off 3 machines at auction. Any auctions better then others in Edmonton for the seller? Any recommendations?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about dropping off 3 machines at auction. Any auctions better then others in Edmonton for the seller? Any recommendations?
Depends what it is.

If it is an good enough machine to go south of the boarder it will probably fetch more at RB but you will pay higher fees.

Think RB owns lindstrand now.

There is a green flyer I get in the mail, looks like they do a good job locally. (Looking for the name)

Kijiji? For a bit, then auction?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done with Kijiji. Too many tire kickers. Thinking of just dropping them off and collecting a cheque.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've sold at RB and Michener's, perks to both. RB will not negotiate on commission, it's 13%, like it or not they don't care. At the same time they won't BS you on selling price. Michener I paid 7%, but IMO I lost every penny of that 6% in lower sale price, they don't have a problem trying to say it will fetch more then it actually will. Osman is another option, never sold with them but i'd guess along same lines as Michener. Depending on the items I would try my luck with the smaller guys, some items sell for the same. You do see the odd 200k item at osmans and micheners, so I mean they do they some of those buyers. Having said that, with the last RB auction some prices were all over the price, a lot of deals to be had for sure. Depending on items i'd be nervous what they will fetch. RB charges a lot because they bring the dollars, for attachments and small stuff I don't even waste my time anymore, stuff goes insane. One thing I didn't like about michener's was I waited longer for my money because one person took a month to pay for it, they let that stuff slide, whereas RB won't, they pay you on the exact day they say.

For example I almost went to buy a skidsteer today at RB, sold for $15k, OTD will be $16.2k, I can buy a 2 year newer machine on kijiji for $14k.

Heck I seen this trailer last year, they were trying and trying to sell on kijiji for months, sold it at RB even with commission they got more then their asking price on kijiji and it was like a $45k trailer, they could have paid probably $10k less if they brought it from kijiji..... Many out of country buyers are idiots and clearly only watch RB. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last time people pay more at auction then they could buy privately, or even at a dealer here.

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sent osman an email. I’m thinking I’ll try them and see how it goes. They are open late a couple days during the week so I can prep this weekend and drop them off next week.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your 3 items are valued at over a million dollars RB might give you a guarantee.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was buying at a online auction this week/today for Bodens shutdown and the prices went crazy. I did get a pair of jack stands cheap but the air jack I was going after was getting too high. Made the guy pay for it though that was going against me lol.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your 3 items are valued at over a million dollars RB might give you a guarantee.

Unless it is a very good value, the guarantee is awful, they take either 25% or 50% above guarantee. They don't do them to loose money.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just for example, yesterday when I was watching trucks go across Ritchies, there were over 54000 on line bidders at that time.

You have to match your equipment to the right region to get the best price, but I will only sell with Ritchies if I am going auction.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless it is a very good value, the guarantee is awful, they take either 25% or 50% above guarantee. They don't do them to loose money.
True, but I have seen people get a big cheaque when the item went for 50% less than project.
Roll the dice.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sent osman an email. I’m thinking I’ll try them and see how it goes. They are open late a couple days during the week so I can prep this weekend and drop them off next week.

They aren't bad, actually working for the owners right now (I can tell you the auction business has been good to them). Only downside is how far next industrial is away, whereas michener is right away.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should mention that these are recreational machines, not equipment. So these guys have one every Saturday. Aiming for the 23rd I think would be good.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should mention that these are recreational machines, not equipment. So these guys have one every Saturday. Aiming for the 23rd I think would be good.
In that case I think Osman or mitchner is you better bet.

People are not going to pay to ship the cheaper items to the states.

And most recreational buyers I think are scared of RB.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In that case I think Osman or mitchner is you better bet.

People are not going to pay to ship the cheaper items to the states.

And most recreational buyers I think are scared of RB.

We use Ritchie Bros for work. Never buying just selling off trucks and trailers. I don’t think they are the best choice for what I have.

craggar2011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I deal with both RB's and M/A and have had a better return at M/A almost every time. I think it's hit and miss for both though because I've waited over a month for the money from RB's and have been paid right away from M/A. I have also been guaranteed a sale price from M/A and actually got more when the sale was done. It's big equipment for the most part and usually tired. RB's doesn't seem to want that kind of stuff anymore but M/A was more then willing to take.
I think for what your selling M/A would be the better choice in my opinion.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After talking to some other people, waiting for Osman to contact me back, and talking to Michner Allen I’ll be using Michner. Thanks for all the advice.

Top Bottom