Seller And Buyer Question

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 07 last year, first sled I had ever bought..... Dumped over 600 into it the second day I owned it. Had to put top end into it this summer due to belt dust and other crap in the carbs.... The more I look at it, the more that needs to be fixed. Never once did I get phone the seller to b*(ch or ask for anything. Like people have said, you bought a used machine, look before buying, and do your research, or buy new and complain to the dealer:rant:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 5 or 6 years ago my old man helped me buy an 02' ZR 440 Sno Pro, the first sled Cat produced with the firecat chassis. We drove damn near to the Saskatchewan border to get it, I rode it for 10 mins and it ran great. Handed the guy a cheque and loaded it up. Guess what? I didn't look at it close enough and there was a lot of things wrong with it. Granted I didn't know a whole lot about sleds at the time but I could have looked it over closer (I was 14 at the time). Buyer beware bud, deal with it. Save up your money, fix the sled and stop crying over it.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your mechanic is first of all the idiot in this case.

My buddys 09 xp he owned since new blew up with 2300 km's my old 96 S chassis 740 has had a way worse life and is still running great.(Ask Andre he saw it) There is only two kinds of luck and it sucks yours was bad. Think of how much you will learn by building up a new motor. The first thing I learned with my toys is to stop taking it to these "mechanic's" build it yourself then there is only one to blame.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my brother bought a sled from a dealer,the salesmen said they re-built the motor previously to putting it for sale,my brother burnt half a tank of fuel and the crank bearing failed,when he contacted the dealer they said its a used sled and nothing they are willing to do.they also said they only worked on the top end,i said they should cover half the cost,not apenny would they cover. we have ran sleds for over 20 years and that is the first time we have ever had a bottom end go,we do not abuse our macines until the engine is at operating temp. i even contacted the dealer but the manager would not phone me back.so to the question should a person cover the cost after selling a used machine,if the dealers will not cover anything then why should a privite seller cover the cost.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rebuilding a motor has become such a loose term, flags should go up and a lot of questions need to be asked. sellers retail or private generally will tell you anything you want to hear. :beer:

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After buying a sled with 3500 miles I put a new crank and pistons in as preventative maintenance... Just in case. It had 3500 miles on a 6 yr old 800 after all and I didn't want to be down in the middle of winter.

I do feel for the kid, what a chitty feeling :(

but,

as someone pointed out, a 2-stroke can be broken easily (bad gas, no oil, cold seize, over heat, general engine abuse of any kind) so I am very clear that my sled is being bought with no warranty expressed or implied.

Buying new is the only way to avoid the risk of getting hung out to dry, but it still doesn't guarantee a reliable machine.

still, I sure can't afford it.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buyer Beware!!! Next time take it to a mechanic before you buy.

I bought a sled off my dad 2 years ago for $2600 market value, next year I paid $1300 on clutching/maintenance. This year I sold it to my brother for $2000(below market value), it is what it is.

For people to say take it to your mechanic before buying it or else don't buy it. Yea that chit doesn't work ever.

tonykunz

Reaction score
I bought both of my sleds for $700 each. Even if stuff did crap out on it, meh I can take that kind of hit. However if I were paying a couple of grand, I'd sure want to make sure there wasn't a damn thing wrong with it.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when I sold my 05 900 RMK I was as honest as I could be......but any sled can blow up at ANY TIME! when I buy used I all most expect it to blow up! when I bought my Turbo Apex I bought it as is....where is......so if it blows up I know I have to deal with it! so when selling something used just be honest and make it clear that it is the buyers choice to buy it.....if I didnt sell it, and it blew up, I would have to fix it......so who ever owns it, fixes it!

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I did not want this thread to go this way. I know buyer beware, but people that say this better watch out.Because there are people on here that do buy used and will have second thoughts about buying from people with this attitude.....
I'm not saying this towards you....but generally speaking.
There are times when you can't take something to a mechanic before buying, like driving 4 hours one way to look.You know what I mean!

??? I'm pretty sure after reading this whole thread that the majority of the people on here that buy used are very aware of what they are buying and what the potential consequences could be. The key word is "USED". I'd buy something used off of a S&M member way before buying something off of Joe Somebody on Kijiji.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would too, i think that very few would try to sell you a known hand grenade, there usually is know way to know. a mechanic can only give you his opinion,sounds like the seller disclosed all that he new and answered questions asked. looks like no warranty given or implied. looks like the lad drove the he-- out of it and took the crank etc. out. story over, you bought it, you broke it, you fix it. you need help you ask. act like an adult you get treated like one and help is usually offered.
seems to be one of those life lessons we all get.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i like it when people say "you knew it was going to blow" or "you knew it was going to grenade"

2 strokes either work or they are siezed/grenaded.

there is no time in between for the owner to say yes this is going to grenade in the next 50km lets move it asap.

they go from seemingly perfect condition to shrapnel all over your engine compartment.

my old 600 for example.

150psi compression in both cyls. no scaring ont he pistons.. recent bottom end within 2000km. i would have sold it to anyone that morning with confidence it was reliable. took it out the next day and it took out a rod bearing. took out everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom