Seller And Buyer Question

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

do you know what happens when a motor seizes?

where do those forces go?

the cases crack!!!

where does the shrapnnel from the bearing go?

the cylinder head!!!!

your mechanic is first of all the idiot in this case. the sled wouldnt have made it ten feet if the cases were cracked when you bought it.

dont make up assumtions about the condition of the sled from the seller if you DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW A MOTOR WORKS.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well thanks for your honesty on this site and i would have to agree with you but i DO belive my mechanic and i would say he knows his stuff as well so he probably took those factors into account...

i also dont really appreciate these greasy negitive comments from others and to those reading these posts dont buy anything from them....

look crf he doesnt know he would have to break it completly to see and he is just making you feal better ... sorry again but thats life

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well thanks for your honesty on this site and i would have to agree with you but i DO belive my mechanic and i would say he knows his stuff as well so he probably took those factors into account...

i also dont really appreciate these greasy negitive comments from others and to those reading these posts dont buy anything from them....

well i actually went riding with one of those guys you are calling greasy .....
i wouldnt hesitate for a mimute buying something from him ....remember you bought a used sled that has what is considered a high mileage in these parts and generally time for a rebuild..... i picked up two sleds for my nephew last year well he has cooked the motor twice this year already ...
why cause he was racing come to stop to cross road motor cooked second time it air locked and overheated .... is he bitching and whining cause i got him a piece of crap no he is pissed cause he has to fix it right this time

summitzx

Reaction score
I have to say thank you for all the comments from everyone. I did not expect or want this to get nasty, I was just looking for some insight on the subject.

Thanks again for everyones reply:d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not want this thread to go this way. I know buyer beware, but people that say this better watch out.Because there are people on here that do buy used and will have second thoughts about buying from people with this attitude.....
I'm not saying this towards you....but generally speaking.
There are times when you can't take something to a mechanic before buying, like driving 4 hours one way to look.You know what I mean!

yes that is true, you inspect, decide if you want the sled, what condition it's in and what you will pay. that is totally up to you as buyer. you drive the sheeet out of it, and you get to pay some more. sounds about right.
looks like crf is learning a lesson the only way he will learn. i don't think the seller did anything wrong or misrepresented the sled. crf is the problem as far as i'm concerned. maybe mom will come to the resque.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it makes any of u feel better, I bought a sled off my paps last year. Day I wrote the check was the day she blew. I payed full market value for the machine. Had to put in a whole new short block, he payed 25%. I'm 18 yrs old and this was a real piss off. Big chunk of money for a young guy. We both had no idea it was going to happen but that is the luck of the draw. Honestly, I would expect nothing from the seller. It's a chance you take. If you go and see the machine and get an eerie feeling, then trust yourself. Honestly that's a chance you take buying used sh!t, especially a sled.

The next sled I buy won't be used.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did the sled actually have 3500 MILES?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!

TTHATS....5600KM!!!!!!!!!!

i would say 5600km is a good life for a 800 engine. when buy ing a sled like this you should have known its life was a ticking away and accounted for that in your funds.

if you wanted the sled to last at 5600km you should have given the motor to your mechanic as soon as you got it home and had it freshened up. maybe 1000$

dont worry i know the feeling. when i purchased my very first sled i was lied to. ( i dont think this is the case at all here) and i was also 16 and had a blown up sled. i worked my butt off and put parts into it that i knew would last and that i knew thehistory.

i feel like your lookig for donations here. like mentioned the seller owes you nothing in my personal opinion. save for a shortblock. get the help of snow and mud to help you install it. and that sled will outlast you.

AND AS FOR OTHERS..... SAYING YOU WOULD DO THIS AND YOU WOULD DO THAT. as if. get real. LOL

i sold 2 summits on friday. just waiting for the phone calls now...

they were good sleds to me but could very possibly grenade on the next user

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your mechanic is first of all the idiot in this case. the sled wouldnt have made it ten feet if the cases were cracked when you bought it.

dont make up assumtions about the condition of the sled from the seller if you DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW A MOTOR WORKS.

I agree, if the cases are cracked from rod bearing failure (had a buddy on motor #3 in the exact same sled - wanna see pics and vids of the rod bearing failure?) that sled would have not made it 15 ft, let alone 10 miles.

You ran a big twin mountain sled on very little snow and held it wide open for an extended period of time (you say full length of a field, how long was it really? :D). Guaranteed motor failure. The mountain sleds will over rev due to the lower gearing, no snow and taller track will cause it to overheat, and these twins do not have counterbalance shafts, they will vibrate themselves apart if held wide open for too long. Age of sled could be a factor but often times you will not know that a catastrophic failure like this is right around the corner. If so, you are right, the motor could have been on its way out and you just bought it at the wrong time.

The sled has/had an EGT but you chose to run without it, most times they are there for a reason - did you check to see what jets were in it before you went wide open for so long? Cold Lake is lower elevation than the mountains.

I feel for ya kid, I do. nothing sucks worse than having a broken sled.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it makes any of u feel better, I bought a sled off my paps last year. Day I wrote the check was the day she blew. I payed full market value for the machine. Had to put in a whole new short block, he payed 25%. I'm 18 yrs old and this was a real piss off. Big chunk of money for a young guy. We both had no idea it was going to happen but that is the luck of the draw. Honestly, I would expect nothing from the seller. It's a chance you take. If you go and see the machine and get an eerie feeling, then trust yourself. Honestly that's a chance you take buying used sh!t, especially a sled.

The next sled I buy won't be used.

seems like sound advice, your dad helped you out, but left the learning up to you. sounds like you have good values and your dad should be proud.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you cant afford to buy one used and fix it then you should have waiting to buy a new one with warranty. Anything you buy can have issues on the first time out. Some the seller knows about some they do not. You take the risk as a buyer that it will have issues. I bought a 2 stroke bike years ago that siezed up on me the first trip to the mountains. I was pissed but not at the guy that sold it to me. It happens.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, if the cases are cracked from rod bearing failure (had a buddy on motor #3 in the exact same sled - wanna see pics and vids of the rod bearing failure?) that sled would have not made it 15 ft, let alone 10 miles.

You ran a big twin mountain sled on very little snow and held it wide open for an extended period of time (you say full length of a field, how long was it really? :D). Guaranteed motor failure. The mountain sleds will over rev due to the lower gearing, no snow and taller track will cause it to overheat, and these twins do not have counterbalance shafts, they will vibrate themselves apart if held wide open for too long. Age of sled could be a factor but often times you will not know that a catastrophic failure like this is right around the corner. If so, you are right, the motor could have been on its way out and you just bought it at the wrong time.

The sled has/had an EGT but you chose to run without it, most times they are there for a reason - did you check to see what jets were in it before you went wide open for so long? Cold Lake is lower elevation than the mountains.

I feel for ya kid, I do. nothing sucks worse than having a broken sled.

or owning a yamaha

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well let the guy know if he wants to sell it cheap I might be interested, I also know the engine is blown.......

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like sound advice, your dad helped you out, but left the learning up to you. sounds like you have good values and your dad should be proud.

man it was rough. i finally had upgraded from the ol mxz 380 fan, and dad got a new xp. was looking forward to going to the hills for my first time, but had to stay home while dad went. very rough. lol. maybe this year :rolleyes:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i feel your pain, we all learn, usually the hard way. you are not missing much so far, not much snow. more damage than anything else. what you need to get that sled running, never hurts to ask, someone may be able to help you out. there is a way to do everything, crf will get very little help and is going to learn the hard way. ;)

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sold my 04 summit last year with 5200 trouble free kms. had it priced lower than other same year sleds with less kms for the reason that it was time for a rebuild. the buyer was aware that it was high mileage as well checked out everything he could and took it away. i would say when buying used do a little homework, and know what you are getting and the issues that can arise. maybe even bring your mechanic with you next time.

Top Bottom