Seller And Buyer Question

summitzx

Reaction score
A friend of mine sells a sled and then about a month later on the buyers first ride the engine dies. I was the one that posted the photos to help sell the sled so I am the one that gets the unhappy e-mails.

I have bought a sled last year from a guy and had the same problem. the sled crapped out. The only difference is that I believe the guy knew he was selling me junk. He could not answer any of my questions and would not give me eye contact at all. He showed the sled quick and left us to look it over. Then about 20 min later came back to the garage and asked us if we wanted it. I look back and should have saw that as a sign. oh well live and learn. But never contacted the seller. Ya I was pissed at the out come and voiced my frustrations but never asked anything of the seller. I cut my losses and worked on getting it running.

With all that said, now I ask the question, if you sold a sled with confidence that it was in good condition and the buyer had problems right away, what would you do? Would you say well that is crappy but that is one of the risks when buying a used sled. Would you give money back or offer help? who is to say they did something to cause the problem. Reason I ask is that my friend an I have conflicting opinion and have argued about what should be done. I would love to hear what others think about this issue.

Thanks for reading I look forward to responses.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine sells a sled and then about a month later on the buyers first ride the engine dies. I was the one that posted the photos to help sell the sled so I am the one that gets the unhappy e-mails.

I have bought a sled last year from a guy and had the same problem. the sled crapped out. The only difference is that I believe the guy knew he was selling me junk. He could not answer any of my questions and would not give me eye contact at all. He showed the sled quick and left us to look it over. Then about 20 min later came back to the garage and asked us if we wanted it. I look back and should have saw that as a sign. oh well live and learn. But never contacted the seller. Ya I was pissed at the out come and voiced my frustrations but never asked anything of the seller. I cut my losses and worked on getting it running.

With all that said, now I ask the question, if you sold a sled with confidence that it was in good condition and the buyer had problems right away, what would you do? Would you say well that is crappy but that is one of the risks when buying a used sled. Would you give money back or offer help? who is to say they did something to cause the problem. Reason I ask is that my friend an I have conflicting opinion and have argued about what should be done. I would love to hear what others think about this issue.

Thanks for reading I look forward to responses.

I would feel realy bad for the kid, and if you had confidence that the sled was running good and he blew it up id give him 1/4 of the money for a new motor.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had an issue like this but with a motorhome. 60 kms into his first trip the motor goes. $6000 to fix. The guy who sold it to him paid half.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had an issue like this but with a motorhome. 60 kms into his first trip the motor goes. $6000 to fix. The guy who sold it to him paid half.

that was stand up thing to do. I don't know that he was obligated to do that but a stand up thing non the less.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A month later is a long time. Wouldn't be getting nothing but sympathy from me.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i sell as is were is, i have no control over machine once it leaves, who knows what the guy did, starts a cold engine and holds it to the bars? =your problem, that is how it goes, now if you put a warranty on machine then it becomes a problem.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alot can happen in a month , for me alot depends on the price , if it was sold under value then its buyer beware , if its sold for top dollar you can afford to help out , i would , fair market value then it depends on situation , I sell alot of stuff and unfortunatly you believe nothing what you hear and 1/2 of what you see because if someone screwed up they get inventive with the story

summitzx

Reaction score
oww chit you sold the sled to crfsummit?? he only rode the thing for like 10 min and it happend.

No I did not sell the sled to him I know the guy that sold it to him. It was a great sled I rode it and rode with him all the time. I thought about buying it myself I was so happy with it, but after buying my crappy sled and putting over 3,000 in to mine to get it running I could not afford it. I feel really bad for the guy because I had no luck with my first sled. So I know how it feels.

summitzx

Reaction score
[QUTE=imdoo'n;975521]i sell as is were is, i have no control over machine once it leaves, who knows what the guy did, starts a cold engine and holds it to the bars? =your problem, that is how it goes, now if you put a warranty on machine then it becomes a problem.[/QUOTE]

That was the case here. it was sold as is where is.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it happened to me and the seller was my brother .. first trip out second day and well the motor poop a piston and destroyed the motor ... ohwell live and learn buyer be ware... sold as is... is well there tough luck .... oh ya my brother laughed at me when i told him that night ... brotherly love i guess lol...

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought mine used and i asked how the motor was he said top end was done 800 miles before i bought it and he also said its a two stroke so it could go tomorow, the risk of buying used i guess. no motor problems but the clutch cost me 900 to fix.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats always a tough one... i know what happens at our shop you have to help the guy out.... i would be hardpressed to take the unit back, however as long as both parties are reasonable there is something that can be worked out..

it is true you have now idea what happened... even if the thing has only 5 miles on it there are alot of variables... cold start, no warm up... wot... 10 buddies ripping on the new unit... weather the unit is new or used there is always a chance of a problem, ch!t happens so to speak,

my take is this, there is always too ways things can go.... if your calm cooled and collected. i mean reasonable,,, it goes a long way to resolving an issue.

however if stories are told or attitude and anger are thrown in it usually only goes one way....sorry...as is where is...

i always try to put myself in the otherguys shoes... and say whats fair..

failures do happen and most of the time you never know whats going to happen... i agree somepeople do sell things knowing its not gonna work for much longer.... thats why its buyer beware,

I always recommend to people that if your buying spend a 100-200 and take the unit to a shop u know or get the buyer to do it and you pay... its a win win ....if theres something wrong then you find out and save a heartache down the road..plus a possible big bill,,,, if its all good to go then you have a piece of mind and know what you got and what it may need in this season for maintainance or next season...

if the seller doesn t want to do this your probably better off to walk away from the deal...

well thats my 4 cents.... good luck ....

goldfinger

Reaction score
I sell all my stuff as is where is . I am just up front about everthing that I know is wrong with it so I don't have to here about it later.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh ya my brother sold a sled to my cuz 4 years prior and well first trip out it blow too ... leason dont buy from my brother lol ... wasnt his fault but me and my cuz still bug him over it lol...

summitzx

Reaction score
I sell all my stuff as is where is . I am just up front about everthing that I know is wrong with it so I don't have to here about it later.

I was there when It was sold he gave all the stock parts, went through the whole sled with them, gave him oil for the crank, told him that the prob was no good and knocked 100 of asking price, sled started on 2nd pull, Spent one hour talking to them about the sled. He was very up front with everything in regards to the sled. He gave him my user name on snow and mud if he had any questions and offered to go ridding with them if we were ever in the area.

I thought he was as honest as he could be

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a tough situation. i've sold a few toys, and i was up front with the buyers, i told them i rode these vehicles hard, but i also took care of them, and they were priced accordingly. i guess its just the danger of buying used. you never know how its goin to go, you get your lemons and your never-die-toys, its just hard to tell the jacka$$ that lies from the honest guy looking to move a sled.:beer:

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always try to put myself in the otherguys shoes... and say whats fair..

I'm the same way, this is a tough call.

I just bought a sled and spent $550 to do quite a few minor things to it. I didn't even think about phoning the previous owner, now if the engine blew. I wouldn't definitely be trying to get a hold of him to exchange words. I don't know if I would expect him to pay for it, I'd probably try and milk him for something.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very tough!!! i guess i would feel somewhat bad for him. if he was just a kid i might try to help him but if he was being beligerant and rude he'd be standing alone. where is as is is always implied when selling or buying used unless otherwise stated.

69plymouth

Reaction score
First of all, if all you did was help advertise it, I would just give the guy the sellers contact and step out of it. Why worry about something that shouldn't be your problem anyway?

In general, the way I look at is these things break, and quite often. The older they are and the more miles or hours on them, the sooner something is likely to break. This is usually reflected in the fair market value. As long as nothing was misrepresented, all he really owes are condolences.

My advice to anyone buying used toys is to research what you are buying, learn what typically breaks and what it costs to fix, and budget accordingly.

Top Bottom