What’s this Scam?

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So posting stuff on Kijiji and I’m getting asked for a getting asked for the Vin and a “Drive Trusty” report. Weird number and very pushy for this report. Got a weird feeling and just said I wasn’t selling it to him. But what is the scam? What can he do with the Vin and a report I’m not going to pay for? Any insight would be helpful, thanks fellas. 🍻

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, thats wild. I’m glad the spidey senses kicked in. I knew it had to be something, just wasn’t sure what. Thank you for the info. 🍻

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
... and it seems that every request is a different report site.
I sold my 2015 a month ago and the clues on the first scammer was when he started calling me "mate" and asking if the paint job was still in good shape. haha

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its insane the amount of scammers that are out there these days, I assume they must get a lot of people which is sad. I must get a call every couple days from some BS number asking for information and if I post something on kijiji I am guaranteed to get at least a couple scammers texting me. I posted a wanted add for some sled parts the other day and scammers are texting me pictures of the parts they googled off of the internet. What a bunch of pathetic losers.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just happen to be at my moms the other day. Supposed police called. Told her her son she hadn’t seen in a while. Gotten a car crash. I have half brother. She said his name and they immediately latched onto that and convinced her that he needed help. He was a passenger in the car got in a crash and his bail was $8000 because the car wasn’t legal or something like that. I started to overhear from the other room what she was talking about. I grabbed the other line landline, lol. Told the guy he was full of ch!t and he wasn’t Rcmp. I hung up. Also told my mom to hang up He had my mom so convinced that she thought the police were going to come and talk to her lol , she has rapid dementia by the way from the C1 nine jabs and boosters. They had her very worried in a short order. I’m not sure what would happen if I wasn’t there but maybe she would’ve given them 8000 to bail. 🤷‍♂️.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They did that to my 90 year old grandfather. Had him in tears. They pretended to be me. It was a 3 call ordeal and in the end he outsmarted them. I had just had a new born so he asked the person what my new sons name was and they couldn't answer. He was minutes away from sending money but something clicked. Thank goodness.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just happen to be at my moms the other day. Supposed police called. Told her her son she hadn’t seen in a while. Gotten a car crash. I have half brother. She said his name and they immediately latched onto that and convinced her that he needed help. He was a passenger in the car got in a crash and his bail was $8000 because the car wasn’t legal or something like that. I started to overhear from the other room what she was talking about. I grabbed the other line landline, lol. Told the guy he was full of ch!t and he wasn’t Rcmp. I hung up. Also told my mom to hang up He had my mom so convinced that she thought the police were going to come and talk to her lol , she has rapid dementia by the way from the C1 nine jabs and boosters. They had her very worried in a short order. I’m not sure what would happen if I wasn’t there but maybe she would’ve given them 8000 to bail. 🤷‍♂️.
these are special types of people that do that to the elderly......

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to some guys that rented a house beside where I work and he said nearly every place he inquired about in golden and revy were scams.
Recently I sent some documents overseas then got a text from "Canada Post" saying incomplete address. I was pissed as the lady at the post office keyed it in and printed the label. I was directed to a website that wanted $1.03 on c/c and the new address.
That's when I clicked in. The site sure looked legit.
So I shut it down and when I got home I used my tracking number and sure enough the package was in the other country.
Because the documents were time sensitive is why I was pissed. How easily my emotions could have over riden common sense...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these are special types of people that do that to the elderly......
no doubt. one day I'm going to significantly gear down the feed belt on the woodchipper, slow enough that it takes hours to feed anything into the blades. Then I will happily tie one of them fawkers up and spend the next few hours, with a good bottle of whiskey, listening to them screaming in agonizing pain while they are slowly turned into some kind of pinkish paste spraying out the discharge chute.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is there own site they are requesting the report from
they get all your information and credit card info and money for the report and have no intention of buying what you are sellling
that and they get the VIN so if they have a stolen sled, they will use your VIN to sell their stolen sled (they give it to the potential purchaser and then the buyers runs your VIN and it comes up with a clean title). Also will steal your pics and use the VIN and pics to list your ride somewhere else (like in Ontario) to try and get a deposit from people to "hold it". The moment you give them any Carfax type report they have all the info to create a fake sale.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that and they get the VIN so if they have a stolen sled, they will use your VIN to sell their stolen sled (they give it to the potential purchaser and then the buyers runs your VIN and it comes up with a clean title). Also will steal your pics and use the VIN and pics to list your ride somewhere else (like in Ontario) to try and get a deposit from people to "hold it". The moment you give them any Carfax type report they have all the info to create a fake sale.
With the Vin number, can they borrow money against the vehicle from lenders ?
Someones paid for unit could end up with a lien on it.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no doubt. one day I'm going to significantly gear down the feed belt on the woodchipper, slow enough that it takes hours to feed anything into the blades. Then I will happily tie one of them fawkers up and spend the next few hours, with a good bottle of whiskey, listening to them screaming in agonizing pain while they are slowly turned into some kind of pinkish paste spraying out the discharge chute.
Yikes. You have spent some time thinking about this haha. Hopefully I'm never on your bad side

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would think they need title/registration for that otherwise scammy fawks could just cruise parking lots snagging VINs from vehicle windshields.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not easily I would think, otherwise they could just go into the dealer and take pics of the VINs and lien against them right from the dealer. Need a registration and a bunch more banking info to put anything against it. Bank would probably need a credit check and authorization etc etc and likely someone on the inside at the bank to authorize it without your knowledge. Anything is possible I guess, always better to be safe than sorry and be smart when giving out info.

VIN is the only thing you need to give a buyer, they don't need a Carfax etc. With the VIN any legit buyer can phone the local registry and get a lien search and vehicle history search (I think its like $26) - can do it online or they do it right there if you go in, and will give you a printout. Do it yourself so the seller doesnt give you a fake one. And search the RCMP stolen database with the VIN as well. Always search anything you are about to buy. Went to buy a sled one time and the bank had a lien on all his assets (including the sled) because the guy was almost in foreclosure, even though the sled was like 7 years old. Never trust what they say. Verify it.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love it when the scam callers choose my number . I have all the ammunition ready and after playing one for quite some time he actually told me to F off 😎 The scam caller ID once had my own phone number . From overdue Walmart bills to fake police calls and duct cleaning I’ve had great pleasure messing with them and wasting their time . Bring it on!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i won't be phoning you again?

Last edited:

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
send me your social insurance number and I'll look into it for you haha jk

Top Bottom