Scams

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a phone call tonight from "Mastercard" saying they were going to give me and the family a free trip down to Florida. This included all meals, accomadation, flights, transfers. All I had to do was confirm some information they already had. Name, address, city and postal code. Then tell them the expiry date of my card and the seven digit number on the back of the card, and the trip was all mine. He did not want the numbers on the front of the card. I asked him to tell me the numbers because he was from "Mastercard" and he should have all the numbers so it was up to him to tell me them. He got quite upset about that. I asked him for a number to call him back on so I could call Mastercard and check. He gave me a number. I called Mastercard and they informed me of no such offer. I called the number he gave me and it was for Canadian Tire Credit services. I then tried to call the number that showed up on my caller ID and it was not in service. So needless to say I didn't win the trip:mad:. The fellows name was "Rick" and he called from the number (905) 345-4321, which is out of Ontario. The actual Mastercard gave me a phone number for reporting phone scam artists and it is 1-888-495-8501 and they are called Phonebusters. They were closed when I called them, so will try in the AM. So please watch yourself. And those numbers on the back of the card are just as important as the ones on the front. Take care and protect yourself. Sorry about this being so long. Mark :d

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it so annoying when people call for stuff like this, it seems pointless because it is so easy to see that it is a scam. But I guess some people must go for it as they keep trying.

This number is out of Niagara Falls, and supposedly police can't (or won't) do anything about it...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I find it so annoying when people call for stuff like this, it seems pointless because it is so easy to see that it is a scam. But I guess some people must go for it as they keep trying.

This number is out of Niagara Falls, and supposedly police can't (or won't) do anything about it...

YA, THESE GUYS PRACTISE AND DO SOUND VERY CONVINCING........

MY DAUGHTER WAS SCAMMED LAST NITE AT HER WORK FOR $100.00(THAT SHE WAS GIVEN AS A GIFT) BILL..... THE GUY(VERY CLEAN CUT, WELL MANNERED INDIVIDUAL) SAID HE LOCKED KEYS IN HIS BMW AND HIS WALLET WAS INSIDE AND HIS TWO DOGS AND NEEDED TO GET INTO HIS CAR ASAP..... AMA WOULDN'T/COULDN'T UNLOCK THE DOORS OF A BMW, AND HE GAVE THE EMPLOYEES IN THE STORE A SOB STORY ABOUT JUST MOVING HERE FROM BC AND THAT HE NEVER TRANSFERED HIS WARRANTY WITH BMW AND THEY WOULDN'T HELP HIM WITHOUT A $100.00 WARRANTY TRANSFER FEE. THE MANAGER SAID SHE ONLY HAD A FEW BUCKS, AND THE OTHER 46YEAR OLD LADY ONLY HAD $60.00, BUT MY DAUGHTER(WHO IS A LITTLE SWEETIE, SAYS SHE HAD A GUT FEELING ABOUT NOT HELPING THIS GUY) PIPED UP SHE HAD A $100.00 BILL....... HE WAS VERY CONVINCING, AND HAD ALL 3 EMPLOYEES IN THE STORE BELIEVING HIS STORY. HE WALKED OVER TO THE BMW STORE WITH THE MONEY(THEY SAW HIM GO IN) ONLY NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN..... THEY TRIED ALL THE PHONE #'S THAT THE GUY GAVE THEM, AND NONE SEEMED TO WORK OUT PROPERLY. THE 3 OF THEM WENT TO THE POLICE, AND THEY SAID THIS GUY HAS BEEN HITTING RETAIL OUTLETS ALL OVER THE SOUTH SIDE OF EDMONTON ALL WITH THE SAME STORY.......THEY SAID THEY WILL INVESTIGATE:rant:

SO BE WARY OF SCAMS..... EVEN SEASONED PEOPLE CAN BE TAKEN BY PROFESSIONAL SCAM ARTISTS

Last edited:

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YA, THESE GUYS PRACTISE AND DO SOUND VERY CONVINCING........

MY DAUGHTER WAS SCAMMED LAST NITE AT HER WORK FOR $100.00(THAT SHE WAS GIVEN AS A GIFT) BILL..... THE GUY(VERY CLEAN CUT, WELL MANNERED INDIVIDUAL) SAID HE LOCKED KEYS IN HIS BMW AND HIS WALLET WAS INSIDE AND HIS TWO DOGS AND NEEDED TO GET INTO HIS CAR ASAP..... AMA WOULDN'T/COULDN'T UNLOCK THE DOORS OF A BMW, AND HE GAVE THE EMPLOYEES IN THE STORE A SOB STORY ABOUT JUST MOVING HERE FROM BC AND THAT HE NEVER TRANSFERED HIS WARRANTY WITH BMW AND THEY WOULDN'T HELP HIM WITHOUT A $100.00 WARRANTY TRANSFER FEE. THE MANAGER SAID SHE ONLY HAD A FEW BUCKS, AND THE OTHER 46YEAR OLD LADY ONLY HAD $60.00, BUT MY DAUGHTER(WHO SAYS SHE HAD A GUT FEELING ABOUT NOT HELPING THIS GUY) PIPED UP SHE HAD A $100.00 BILL....... HE WAS VERY CONVINCING, AND HAD ALL 3 EMPLOYEES IN THE STORE BELIEVING HIS STORY. HE WALKED OVER TO THE BMW STORE WITH THE MONEY(THEY SAW HIM GO IN) ONLY NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN..... THEY TRIED ALL THE PHONE #'S THAT THE GUY GAVE THEM, AND NONE SEEMED TO WORK OUT PROPERLY. THE 3 OF THEM WENT TO THE POLICE, AND THEY SAID THIS GUY HAS BEEN HITTING RETAIL OUTLETS ALL OVER THE SOUTH SIDE OF EDMONTON ALL WITH THE SAME STORY.......THEY SAID THEY WILL INVESTIGATE:rant:

SO BE WARY OF SCAMS..... EVEN SEASONED PEOPLE CAN BE TAKEN BY PROFESSIONAL SCAM ARTISTS

That's too bad for your daughter :( Something similar happened to my friend when he worked at a gas station. A guy came up all sad because he needed his car towed but didn't have the money. So my friend being the nice guy he is just gave the guy $75 to have it towed on the promise the guy will pay it back. They guy took the money never to be seen again.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Several people at my work have told me about the mastercard scam. Apparently they are busy phoning alot of people. DB's

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rember the old saying, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is "

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never give cash to someone you dont no,I was at the gas station awhile back and there was a guy there trying to get money from the girls workin there,he was out of gas and forgot his wallet at home,he was askin for $50 and he would run home grab his money and come back,I was suspicious so asked were he lived,he said the road name which I new so I threw him $5 and said that will get you there and back,well you could tell right away he was pissed at me,took the $5 jumped in his car and drove away,what I thought he was out of gas.The girls thanked me because they were about to give him $50 because he seemed normal and in need of help.I try to help people as much as possible but I never give large sums of cash.The store gave me my chocolate milk and fritter free so I was out abuck fifty but save them $50

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its dicks like these guys that make it hard for anyone that is really in a bind, same as I'm pretty leary about stopping to help anyone on the side of the road anymore, too many physco's out there.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moral of the story...don't be afraid to ask direct questions!!
Too bad about your daughters' funds Ric. Next time I'm in for service you can tack on an extra five bucks:d
Kinda like the VERY annoying automated calls saying that you've won some sort of prize and to call a certain number, only to talk with a 'live' scammer (I have only done it once!). I guess some sort of a filter to get only 'interested' people phoning back. The automation makes it more difficult to give 'em a piece of your mind. :cool:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to bad , it's a hard lesson to learn. you can learn the easy way or the hard way, most learn the hard way but you learn for life.

Top Bottom