Rooster kit

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same kit. Had some issues initially with the sled but have that fixed now. I was experiencing the same problems as you. Stocker was kicking my Ass. Barely pulled 58 - 60 kph with the 21 tooth. Stocker pulled 67. Same hill. Same rider. Went back down to the 19 tooth. I am much happier with it. 3 -4 feet in revy. Bottomless and 65 was the absolute lowest I saw and that was after hitting the same hill 10 times in a row and the ecu restricting the motor due to heat. Stocker ran 62 in the same conditions same hill. Running clicker 4. Going to dump a tiny bit of weight and run on 3.

Do I think it's a huge improvement. Nope. But it's running good and I'm too lazy to put the stock stuff back in. I think the 19 tooth suits my riding style better.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U a heavy fellow?, I know of another guy that tried the 19t and was much happier with the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol touchy question Haha I'm about 215-220 without gear fuel candy and all that good stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I was unsure how to ask so I just came out with it, winterbrew has some good things to look into in a previous post, I've also ran into a bad sliding half bushing at low miles on my 09 that I had, I gained in rpm after I put a new bushing in and spring cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a going back to stock to try again. There are some things I like about the rooster clutching but it just doesn't seem to perform in the real deep conditions. Just had 4 great days of great snow after going back to the 19 tooth from the 21 tooth to test with rooster kit and still think the stock setup was better when in the deep snow and high load. It's just really inconsistent with rpms and the clickers just dont react like they do with stock clutching. Had to go up to clicker 5 to pull full rpm in high load but then you get on some firmer snow and it would over rev. It just doesn't seem to back shift like it should when it really needs to. I am going to go back to stock and compare for next trip since it's hard for me to compare because I have not ridden stock since last year. I did all the usual suggested checks, can, belt, deflection, clutch service, yada, yada.....no difference. It does rip on firmer snow thou.....just not what I am looking for. Was contemplating a shockwave. Maybe adjustability is what a guy really needs because you are never going to get the best setup in all conditions with one helix.

By the way the stock sp bars suck. Broke in my hands last weekend within 15 minutes after hitting the alpine. Broke when landing a jump off a big rock. Didn't land hard at all. No way they should have broke. Broke beside the post so the 2014 ones will be no better than the 2013 version with holes IMO. Was lucky I had a spare set in the truck, just picked them up the day before. Lol. Go chromoly.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the things that struck me as odd as well is. Around home i had to be on clicker 2 just to get rpm and it wouldnt hold it. I put the kit in and I was getting and holding rpm on 1. Before the kit I was getting rpm and holding it in valemount on clicker 4. So i presumed with my test run at home I would be on 3 out in the hills but had to go to 5? I am hoping to get out at least 1 more time so I will try the 19t gear i think.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, try the 19 or a 20 if you have one. I have eased off the gearing 1 tooth from some of the earlier setups. Heavier riders or higher altitude keep stock gearing.
We go by Daltons chart for pin weight recs...your scales may show a different weight.
Keep me posted on any issues or give us a call at the shop. We will do what we can to get it working as it should.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, try the 19 or a 20 if you have one. I have eased off the gearing 1 tooth from some of the earlier setups. Heavier riders or higher altitude keep stock gearing.
We go by Daltons chart for pin weight recs...your scales may show a different weight.
Keep me posted on any issues or give us a call at the shop. We will do what we can to get it working as it should.

Thanks I will drop to the 19 and giver a rip.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had the same issue with the RB kit on 13 / 163 - will not hold RPM - dropped pin weight from 15.9 to 15 , chkd out clutch , new belt - still no difference - have to be on clicker 5 to get 8000 rpm in the deep stuff ! - have not tried gearing down yet from the 21! will be my next step! On hard pack - pulls hard - will stick with stock 14 ???

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baaaaaaaaaaaa,

Put the same stock 14 stuff in it greg and I have

sent while I should be drinking tea's

buckshot

Reaction score
I got the RB kit with a 20t and found the clutches were running hot. I went down to 19t and it was better but it is constantly back shifting. It was really making a lot of belt dust and I ended up blowing a belt on the trail out. I put in the team tied conversion and what a difference. Way cooler clutches, very little belt dust so far and a far more linear shift then with the qrs. The team also has a smoother engagement and is way better at slow speeds in the trees. All this without playing with the kit.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the RB with 20T not like i stated previously 21. Will try and go to 19T - may go back to stock - the stock setup didnt backshift at all and I do like a setup that does . May go back to stock - R the 13's the same as 14's for clutching?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock 19-51 , clutching is not the same 13 to 14

sent while I should be drinking tea's

c.wilson07

Reaction score
I don't understand all these issues with the rb kit. I did a pile of research pre season on clutching and on the 13 it seemed everyone loved the rooster kit and now I read all this. did the kit change or is the stock setup just that much better in 14. I have the 20 tooth rb kit in my 14 noticed some improvement not as much as expected by the way my 06 changed with some clutching but still saw something. Weird how in one year opinions seem to change

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the RB with 20T not like i stated previously 21. Will try and go to 19T - may go back to stock - the stock setup didnt backshift at all and I do like a setup that does . May go back to stock - R the 13's the same as 14's for clutching?

Our setup has a very strong backshift signal....noticably more than the stock 40/stock spring .What is your definition of backshift, what is it doing that you dont like?
Give us a call at the shop if you have any concerns, we are there to help.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all these issues with the rb kit. I did a pile of research pre season on clutching and on the 13 it seemed everyone loved the rooster kit and now I read all this. did the kit change or is the stock setup just that much better in 14. I have the 20 tooth rb kit in my 14 noticed some improvement not as much as expected by the way my 06 changed with some clutching but still saw something. Weird how in one year opinions seem to change

Im still very happy with our track record. A guy has to ask himself, if you set up 100 sleds (for example) almost the same and only 3-4 sleds have issues, is it possible it's not necessarily the clutch calibration but some other factors? We do our best to make sure everyone that runs our stuff is happy. We are not perfect and clutching sleds in different areas with different riders, different owner maintenance (or lack of) is far from an exact science. Set up enough sleds and there will always be a handful that dont work as expected....and those customers we will work with to figure out what we can do to make it work correctly or do whatever it takes to make them happy.
The 12-14 clutching is identical. We try to make it clear that the stock clutching works good and what the differences are with our setup. I would say 95% of feedback we get is positive. Its the other 5% that I want to figure out!! It does no one any good...not us or the customer, to have a sled not working to its potential!

c.wilson07

Reaction score
Its good to hear that most feedback is positive and as I said for me and my style it was an improvement just surprised me to read some of the comments was all

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its good to hear that most feedback is positive and as I said for me and my style it was an improvement just surprised me to read some of the comments was all

I'm puzzled as well, earlier this winter I did some comparing to a stock 14 154 after hearing a complaint similar to these to mine that has the original RB kit in it.

The 14 "felt" stronger than mine out of the hole compared but actually paying attention to the speedo and rpm, my track speed and rpm spooled quicker, and recovered quicker on load changes. His lowest trackspeed was 36-37 with me on it in 4ft of pow, where as mine was geared to 21/51 at the time seen 39-40 mph, the top of the hill track speed was almost the same.
I since geared mine down to 20/51 to try it out and like it.

Don't get me wrong, The stock clutching works awesome! Clutch kit is not the drastic change it was back in the day.
But I still found it a improvement like the better back shifting, lower belt temps that the RB kit gave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well could be worse. I took the cat to a rally yesterday and this is the result.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom