Rollover near Sundre

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read this. Very sad. I hate waiting for names to be released. Link to the story below.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Horrible to hear about something like this! Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those involved.

Watching the video it appears there's very little left of the roll cage. How fast/bad of an accident would this have to be to cause that kind of damage?? Watching videos of rollovers and stuff on YouTube and guys have horrible looking crashes and aren't usually even wearing helmets but they always seem to be ok and just walk away. I'm very inexperienced in the atv world so please excuse my ignorance on such serious subject matter.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Factory cages can be folded pretty easy in a forward roll. The a piller on machines are not as strong or at a great angle. Hit them right and they fold. It is the reason lots of people go to aftermarket cages. They did have helmets on which was good.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a friend of a friend. No idea the name though. Very sad and unfortunate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad... iv been in arguments with people before that don't wear a helmet telling them factory roll bars are crap. Their argument is it has to meet a standard or they could not put it on. Hopefully those same people see this and realize.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad... iv been in arguments with people before that don't wear a helmet telling them factory roll bars are crap. Their argument is it has to meet a standard or they could not put it on. Hopefully those same people see this and realize.
Funny how people are, it's not generally an issue getting people to wear a helmet on a sled but on ATV's and UTV's its a whole different story. Wonder where some get their reasoning from???
In this crash, the rider's had helmet's and wore seat belt's. Amazing, as lot's won't wear the belt's. But speed got got the better of things.
People fail to realize these are toy's and not full on race machine and in a serious crash will come apart. Unlike $100,000 cross country race cars, UTV's need to be treated accordingly for what they were intended or ****t will happen.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad story.

I see a lot of people in a sxs with no belts on and no helmets.

Also so quad riders with no helmets.

Makes no sense

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not only did they have seat belts looking at the pic there were harnesses in the machine. Hopefully they were being used. Once again I wish I knew the details from it. Just to hopefully learn from it.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know zero details and therefore refuse to speculate as to what exactly took place.
It is certainly a tragedy , and all I can put forth is ...
install harness's and use them....
wear a helmet....
drive within you and your machines limits...
expect the unexpected....

My condolences to all effected by this,and a speedy recovery to the injured fellow!

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It amazes me that people refuse to wear helmets whether in a SxS or on quads. I'll admit that while following my son on his quad that I usually just keep it in the back seat but if I'm out for a real ride it's definitely on. I know it can be bypassed but I love that my seatbelt has to be on or else my bike is very limited. Do other brands use this in their seatbelts? I know this is a bit backwards but now that I'm done the performance upgrades I wanted to do the next thing I'm looking at is getting some harnesses.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for some reason, it always seems the I'm going to take it easy, just putt along is the time i am upside down in a creek or doing donuts down the the icy road. or someone is coming at me , on the wrong side of trail doing 60mph.

wear the gear, have fun, arrive back to camp/home to ride another day!
icon10.gif

Last edited:

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you bet in my experience with all the hair brain things i have done i almost always have no issues with the questionable stuff but always seem to get bit on the innocent

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow just read the one about grovedale and seen the guys name who's getting charged with drinking and driving, seen the last name and realized it's a cousin.... Not good:(

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for some reason, it always seems the I'm going to take it easy, just putt along is the time i am upside down in a creek or doing donuts down the the icy road. or someone is coming at me , on the wrong side of trail doing 60mph.

wear the gear, have fun, arrive back to camp/home to ride another day!https://www.snowandmud.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
This is the one people never think about. The other tard flying around a blind corner on the wrong side of the trail. Biggest reason to always wear your helmet, do up the strap, and wear the belt.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck VS quad was a couple of Co-Workers on private land....Spent the day cutting wood for a relative, then decided to have a time in the field...one didn't realize the other had turned around and there was a collision...They were really good friends. Heartbreaking for both the Penson and Hein families.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck VS quad was a couple of Co-Workers on private land....Spent the day cutting wood for a relative, then decided to have a time in the field...one didn't realize the other had turned around and there was a collision...They were really good friends. Heartbreaking for both the Penson and Hein families.
Condolences

That explains alot, on how the rzr was so broken up

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if the manufacturers would do a cadge that was more than bare minimum. Im not brand specific but when wandering around to different dealers yesterday looking at the sxs cages. I sure would not trust my life to them the only one i was sort of impressed with was can am and that was not 100%. If they are going to build a machine with the hp these things put up then the cage should be able to handle it!

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if the manufacturers would do a cadge that was more than bare minimum. Im not brand specific but when wandering around to different dealers yesterday looking at the sxs cages. I sure would not trust my life to them the only one i was sort of impressed with was can am and that was not 100%. If they are going to build a machine with the hp these things put up then the cage should be able to handle it!
Agreed the can am cages are probably the best stock ones, but I think if I was to own a sxs I'd get an aftermarket cage. I've seen a commander cage fold to where the A pillar was basically a straight line from the top of the b pillar to the front tire. Both occupants were helmetless but luckily only a minor concussion was the result.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom