Rmk 900 overheating< have questions

slednx303

Reaction score
Ok, here is the skinny. Two summers ago I had my top end rebuilt due to overheating problem that burned up a piston. After the rebuild I still have issues. The dealership in Steamboat Springs that did the rebuild F'ed it up and the head leaked coolant the first time I started it. Took it back in and they fixed that problem. But, I still have issues with overheating. I thought it was an airlock since the motor would pressurize the coolant overflow tank while trying to pull start this beast. So I am heading back to Steamboat this weekend to give it another shot. This time, I am replacing the header o-rings and the water pump impeller and seals. Anyone have any pointers for this since it is my first time with this torn apart myself. Has anyone ever seen this before and how was it fixed or was it ever fixed I appreciate any responses sooner than later since I am working on it this weekend. Thanks Guys,....and Gals

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the rad removed? Removing the rad dropped my temps from 170's to 120's/130's. I had to replace my thermostat last year but I'm sure that's the first thing they looked at.

slednx303

Reaction score
I just pulled the head and the cylinders are milky. I think I found my problem. Bad o- rings...Ill let you guys know if this works invade anyone else has same problem. And yes mac the front rad is removed this does help dramatically as long as your not idling.

rmk mod

Reaction score
With the sled overheating so many times before i would check to see if the cyl head is warped. If the head was torqued wrong before than overheated that too would warp the head. With the head off take a straight edge and see if you can slide a feeler blade .001"-.002" under the straight edge on the flat spots on the cyl head. If you can see how thick a blade you can get under. This will tell you if its warped, and would explain why you are pressuring the reservoir.

Jon :beer:

2005rmk900

Reaction score
Is the rad removed? Removing the rad dropped my temps from 170's to 120's/130's. I had to replace my thermostat last year but I'm sure that's the first thing they looked at.

Hi there I was just wondering if you would be so kinda as to help me locate the thermostat on my 2005 RMK 900, thanks a million!

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom