Riding near Grand Forks B.C

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I have turned to you all for some help. I am heading to Sicamous in march and will be dropping the kiddos off in Grand Forks at the sister in laws before heading to Sicamous for the week. I am hoping you can point me in the direction of some riding in close proximity for me to take the brother in law out while I have machines in his area. I have no idea of the area or terrain, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not as familiar with the area in the winter as in the summer but I do know there is some nice area's to ride in the Castlegar area. Call Playmor Power Products in Castlegar as they are the Doo dealer and they may be able to help you out.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, any first hand experience riding any of these areas? Or should a guy just resort to the topographical maps and his gut?

any advice is appreciated.

thanks again!

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nancy green has a club and you can ride 24 mile, some groomed trails and open clear cuts, good for light riding nothing to crazy. A few other spots off Nancy green to explore, same ground not much for steep and quite safe (low avi terrain).
castlegar club has the Norns range, it's 15 min out of town and you ride groomed trails (he he) and can go mild to a$$ crazy wild. Two great cabins and it's quite easy to find where to go...just ride.dont forget to donate $$$ trail funds.
nelson and north shore has a mix too, a nice local ride is just above nelson starting from cottonwood lake area. Good all round riding with a cabin to warm up in if needed. Just about every drainage north and south of nelson will have riding but can also get you into big avi terrain.
check the reports and be safe.
poping in at the local shops at main jet nelson or the doo dealer in playmor will give you lots of info to go on.
we are having a big snow year and the riding is awesome!
cheers

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nancy green has a club and you can ride 24 mile, some groomed trails and open clear cuts, good for light riding nothing to crazy. A few other spots off Nancy green to explore, same ground not much for steep and quite safe (low avi terrain).
castlegar club has the Norns range, it's 15 min out of town and you ride groomed trails (he he) and can go mild to a$$ crazy wild. Two great cabins and it's quite easy to find where to go...just ride.dont forget to donate $$$ trail funds.
nelson and north shore has a mix too, a nice local ride is just above nelson starting from cottonwood lake area. Good all round riding with a cabin to warm up in if needed. Just about every drainage north and south of nelson will have riding but can also get you into big avi terrain.
check the reports and be safe.
poping in at the local shops at main jet nelson or the doo dealer in playmor will give you lots of info to go on.
we are having a big snow year and the riding is awesome!
cheers

Thank you very much, this was just the info I was looking for. My brother in law is ast trained and an avid heli/cat ski guy so I feel comfortable exploring more of the mid-advanced areas. Maybe we will head Norns range as it sounds to be a good mix. I always donate/pay my trail passes and will pay more than a seasons membership by the time I have had my 11 days of riding with a min of one other rider and up to 4 others. Certainly no lack of value in the clubs in this guys eyes.

thanks again!

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, this was just the info I was looking for. My brother in law is ast trained and an avid heli/cat ski guy so I feel comfortable exploring more of the mid-advanced areas. Maybe we will head Norns range as it sounds to be a good mix. I always donate/pay my trail passes and will pay more than a seasons membership by the time I have had my 11 days of riding with a min of one other rider and up to 4 others. Certainly no lack of value in the clubs in this guys eyes.

thanks again!
The Norns is a great start, if you have a problem finding the staging area stop in at playmor they will put you in the right direction. It's a fun ride 10-15km to the shaw cabin and from there your straight up to the air port. From the cabin looking out on a clear day your looking down on castlegar.
Up on the air port (back end) you can ride up on jokers knob...what a view!!! Gives you the idea of the terrain avalible.
hope you enjoy.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found that there is a poker run on Sunday the 12th around the pass creek cabin put on by boundary snowmobile club. Do you guys know anything about this? I have tried to find out more info via google but no real answers have turned up. I will try to find someone to call about it possibly tomorrow, but I would love to get a little first hand info on it. Is it just a trail ride down low? Or would this be an organized day with lots of areas to play as well?

Thank you to all who have helped to date, and those who reply to this!

Last edited:

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a "contact us" page on their website. Might give that a try. They sure don't get carried away with putting a contact name or number anywhere I can find.

https://bsc-bcsf.silkstart.com/cpages/home

They dont put out a whole lot of info or updates at all lol. The wife has Facebook so I got her to try and contact someone threw there but I am certainly not holding my breath. I just sort of need a vague idea as to how much down low riding I will be doing on the trip as that will dictate the amount of av gas I need to bring along. A poker run could be fun, but it could also be a day of wishing we just went elsewhere. I appreciate all of the info I can get from the members here so thank you very much for your help!

MenzToys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.menztoys.com
When in March will you be in the area? The Castlegar snowmobile association is planning a membership/family day in March date isn't confirmed yet. We have 2 areas we look after one offers quite a bit more extreme riding than the other as mentioned in previous posts. Both areas have groomed trails to access the back country, you will be riding at 6000-7500 ft in most of our area little less from the parking lot though. We have warm-up/day use cabins in each area, Shaw cabin on the Goose creek side and Ladybird cabin on the Norns side. thx wayne

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When in March will you be in the area? The Castlegar snowmobile association is planning a membership/family day in March date isn't confirmed yet. We have 2 areas we look after one offers quite a bit more extreme riding than the other as mentioned in previous posts. Both areas have groomed trails to access the back country, you will be riding at 6000-7500 ft in most of our area little less from the parking lot though. We have warm-up/day use cabins in each area, Shaw cabin on the Goose creek side and Ladybird cabin on the Norns side. thx wayne

I plan to ride around your area Sunday march 12, then Revy/Sicamous Monday 13 to Friday 17, then back to your area to ride Saturday 18 to Monday 20 so I should have a good chance to see a bit of what you have to offer. I tried calling a contact number that was sent to the wife on her Facebook but have still not heard anything back about the poker run as if yet. Any info that could be passed my way would be greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom