Riding area for a dirt bike

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my wife a dirt bike trying to show her how to ride one anyone know of somewhere not far from Edmonton for her to practice? I have not been riding in along time so not familiar with any areas something wide open would be great . Thanks

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just east of redwater there is an alright spot...staging area is at township rd 574 and range rd 205

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my wife a dirt bike trying to show her how to ride one anyone know of somewhere not far from Edmonton for her to practice? I have not been riding in along time so not familiar with any areas something wide open would be great . Thanks

Mind me asking what you got her? Shopping for mine as well, looked at a 150 Honda but I think its going to be under powered for her.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I discovered this year on my one dirtbike ride is that irrigation channels have a very nice, grass service 'road' running alongside them. It makes for perfect bike riding path - just don't fall in the drink.

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got her a Yamaha tt125 . Not a big bike or small kind of in the middle she feels comfortable on it. She likes she can plant her feet on the ground. Power wise it’s no bad

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into the red water rec area to go riding,they say the staging areas are closed but ohv riding is allowed ?I'm not sure how that works do you just park on the road or what?
Just east of redwater there is an alright spot...staging area is at township rd 574 and range rd 205

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been there for a bit but there is kinda a open sand pit when you are south of that staging area on 205. Gibbons motorsport s had their demo days out there I got to try out a new 1000 renegade when they first came out.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks it's worth a look.
I haven't been there for a bit but there is kinda a open sand pit when you are south of that staging area on 205. Gibbons motorsport s had their demo days out there I got to try out a new 1000 renegade when they first came out.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There are lots of place northeast of Skeleton Lake but that is not really close to Edmonton.
But tons of easy trails.
Get plates and insurance - lots of COs there also.
Not sure if area has been covid affected but the parks there are closed.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are lots of place northeast of Skeleton Lake but that is not really close to Edmonton.
But tons of easy trails.
Get plates and insurance - lots of COs there also.
Not sure if area has been covid affected but the parks there are closed.
Might have to give it a shot out there this year. Any idea how anal they are on the rules? We're plated and insured, but no lights.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mind me asking what you got her? Shopping for mine as well, looked at a 150 Honda but I think its going to be under powered for her.
I picked up a nice used ttr230 for my wife. Nice little bike, and no sweat if she drops it. I've even taken it out riding with the kids instead of the big rm250.

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how anal they are but I am guessing just looking for anything. I will have to plate it I have no lights

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how anal they are but I am guessing just looking for anything. I will have to plate it I have no lights
Could be. Around home i never get bothered, even riding down the street, I have gone past many Mounties without so much as a second look. I'd hate to drive an hour just to get hassled over a stupid rule (Who needs lights in the daylight anyway. It's not going to help my visibility either, I wear highlighter yellow gear, and ride a yellow bike)

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its usually the fish and feathers that bug you about insurance and registration though...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have to give it a shot out there this year. Any idea how anal they are on the rules? We're plated and insured, but no lights.

Been a while since I been there.
Have 4500 acres out my back door that leads to about 6000 more.
There have been fair out there when checking me in boat fishing.
Depends on the mood.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and the boy got out on saturday to red water rec area,It was a really nice morning.The sand trails are a little tough riding if your not used to it,the boy never got out of first gear and wasn't able to ride with his feat on the pegs but it was good to get out.We are going to stanger hills next weekend,no sand lol.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and the boy got out on saturday to red water rec area,It was a really nice morning.The sand trails are a little tough riding if your not used to it,the boy never got out of first gear and wasn't able to ride with his feat on the pegs but it was good to get out.We are going to stanger hills next weekend,no sand lol.

Report back with a Stranger hills update please!

Top Bottom