REV Gearing - More bottom end

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tested the tension factor on my 06 REV 151 last weekend and found the breaking point. I believe the stock setup is a 21-45 with the 74 link.

I would like a little more bottom end power and as well upgrade to a 15w setup if it is available. I also have the DJ mountain kit installed.

Any recommendations for a gearing setup and if there is a heavier chain and gears.

Thx

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think i put a 19/45 into my cousins rev. either way that thing hauls in general. makes good trrack speed and holds it. less load on the drivetrain. has dj kit too

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think i put a 19/45 into my cousins rev. either way that thing hauls in general. makes good trrack speed and holds it. less load on the drivetrain. has dj kit too

That sounds perfect. Thanks Maxwell. Do you know if there is a 15w chain and gears for the 800 or is that only for the RT's?

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 20-45 in 07 xrs. My friend had put the 19-45 in and found it to low. I then geared my xp down 1 tooth on the top as well. Good luck. :):)

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah. im holding out for the belt drive system. wanted to switch to 15w but would rather use a belt rather than a spinning chain of destruction when it blows LOL.

Decided to go with the 19/45. It sounds like a solid setup. With the DJ kit it should preform well. I was looking at the C3 Belt as well. I hope they start producing them for the older sleds.

Thanks for the help guys.:beer:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have mine geared at 19 -47 .... it pulls like a freight train..... has a top end loss of 3 mph compared to 19 -45....

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be careful with carlsisle belts, They blow prematurely and when they do they make a mess. On my 2008 m1000 never blew a belt in 2500 miles. changed them at around 700 miles or so. put a carlisle on rode 25 km slow trail ride to break in. at 120 miles that belt blew into a 1000 pieces and made a mess. i went over the bars. That was the first time. bought one for my 2000 summit. trail sled around home same thing 200 miles that sucker grenaded on a sled that normally will get about 700 miles or so on a belt.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 1800 km out of my last Ultimax XS with out a problem and i have around 500 km on the one i'm running now. Great belt IMO. As for bottom end i have a 19/45 and i think i am going to go with a 19/47.

Dino

Reaction score
Well on my 04 800 151, I run the 19-45 gears. 13.5 grams in the pins, clicker on # 3. RPMS are at 8300. Track speed when climbing is about 40 mph. Just for grins and giggles I am going to try 20-45 this weekend....too see if I can gain more track speed ???? Dino

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i found that combo to be the ticket aswell.. 20 was ok but the torque in the trees with the 19 was nice. trackspeed was about the same for me the 19 held it more stable.

all sleds are diff post your results

Dino

Reaction score
i found that combo to be the ticket aswell.. 20 was ok but the torque in the trees with the 19 was nice. trackspeed was about the same for me the 19 held it more stable.

all sleds are diff post your results
Thanks for the info, I was just curious , will be doing a lot of "in the trees " this weekend. Fixing to head out to the shop and make the switch. Will post with what I think...:beer: Dino

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, but it's not as straight forward as gearing affecting power.

Have to remember the gearing ratio remain constant, HOWEVER, the clutching does not. Load and speed affect clutching. Gearing changes clutching. On top of this, 2-stroke engines require load to produce better power. The exhaust pulse isn't there without load. Reducing load, or changing load affects power, affecting clutching, and affects track speed and power.

Not as simple as adding a tooth or taking a tooth away.

That being said, I also believe the only 06's to get the 13 wide chain are the X models. I recently changed mine to a 15wide. You require a spacer and cotter pin. Spacer is from the 440 model and cost I think 14$ from dealership.

I can get model numbers and such if you want. The other alternative (and this needs to be confirmed) is to get a top sheave/cog with the proper spacer built in. You would then remove the existing and spacer and just slide the new on on.

Good luck. If you need model numbers please let me know.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah. im holding out for the belt drive system. wanted to switch to 15w but would rather use a belt rather than a spinning chain of destruction when it blows LOL.
I remember back in '01 when CMX had the belt drive system for 'doo, some guys went with it right away but then it kind of faded away and I never heard much more about it. wonder why it's a good idea again.....

as for blowing apart, maintenance is key. too many overlook the fact they need to be changed out every few years, especially with the power output of newer sleds.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember back in '01 when CMX had the belt drive system for 'doo, some guys went with it right away but then it kind of faded away and I never heard much more about it. wonder why it's a good idea again.....

as for blowing apart, maintenance is key. too many overlook the fact they need to be changed out every few years, especially with the power output of newer sleds.

cmx belt drive system is 2500$ and a MAJOR modification.

this new belt drive system can be bolted on in half an hour.

this is why i beleive it will be popular.

while i agree with your maintenance statement there are tons of factors that effect the chain grenading.

i have now seen 2 xps with less than 300km take out a chain and case.

i am a maintenance FREAK ( and i know how to do it correctly ) and have had chains granade and make a pretty mess.

chains need to be replaced often forsure this will reduce the risk.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't the primary speed sensing and the secondary load sensing?

Reducing the load will prevent the rear from shifting out.

I know I went to a 20/45 from the X's 19/45 and my clutching has changed. Not sure about track speed but trying to tune it to get the most.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cmx belt drive system is 2500$ and a MAJOR modification.

this new belt drive system can be bolted on in half an hour.

this is why i beleive it will be popular.

while i agree with your maintenance statement there are tons of factors that effect the chain grenading.

i have now seen 2 xps with less than 300km take out a chain and case.

i am a maintenance FREAK ( and i know how to do it correctly ) and have had chains granade and make a pretty mess.

chains need to be replaced often forsure this will reduce the risk.
thanks for clarifying about the C3 system.

as for new sleds blowing chains, there had to be another issue such as improper adjustment or the tensioner arm pivot post breaking first. I ride with a lot of them as well and never seen that yet.

Top Bottom