Anyone ever bought a sled in a crate? (ie: no $600 dealer PDI)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't say the tech didn't get paid.

In one deal where the sales man is the tech and owns the shop, he is only paying himself. I know hard to believe PDI wasn't worked into the price when someone says it always is.

I actually used to be in sales myself when I was in school. Obviously not as prestigious as being a MMS sales person like TTeam and not selling Doo's but yes I know how to hide fees and make it look as though someone is getting a bargain.

Oh and that tech comes in on Sunday's to help out. For free. And gives loaner pipes, resets codes and doesn't charge anything. So whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I didn't say the tech didn't get paid.

In one deal where the sales man is the tech and owns the shop, he is only paying himself. I know hard to believe PDI wasn't worked into the price when someone says it always is.

I actually used to be in sales myself when I was in school. Obviously not as prestigious as being a MMS sales person like TTeam and not selling Doo's but yes I know how to hide fees and make it look as though someone is getting a bargain.

Oh and that tech comes in on Sunday's to help out. For free. And gives loaner pipes, resets codes and doesn't charge anything. So whatever.

Might have something to do with the fact he owns the shop. I agree. But I doubt you would have the same relationship with a tech that stays in the back. Its good you have someone like that to deal with! And your sarcasm....... I will still take that as a compliment lol!!!

aocbiz

Reaction score
Is there an award if you got the best deal from the best dealer? If so give it to that guy.
who cares if you think u didn't pay PDI, you don't need to try and convince us all. I'm glad you got a good deal....yay!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there an award if you got the best deal from the best dealer? If so give it to that guy.
who cares if you think u didn't pay PDI, you don't need to try and convince us all. I'm glad you got a good deal....yay!

Hey all I did was say I didn't pay it. Everyone else wants to make a big deal and say I did. I could care less.

I am sorry you are so butt hurt over a simple post. Want some cake?

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
It may not be on the bill, but one way or another you're paying for it. I don't know many businesses that run at a loss.
I understand not many people believe dealers actually sell at a loss but trust me on that one, nobody can afford to have inventory sit around for years. We pay big interest charges too just like a loan and sooner later we all have to make decision to hold out or make room for the new models coming. In the past few years it's definetly a buyers market. We hope to have you back buying parts and service, which is most important and good experience brings people back.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's fair.

Not really, if they are so efficient and precise at doing it, when did the shop rate go to 250 per hour? Not hard to assemble a sled following a check list and put it on the computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Hey all I did was say I didn't pay it. Everyone else wants to make a big deal and say I did. I could care less.

I am sorry you are so butt hurt over a simple post. Want some cake?

Ehhh..... Yea. I do lol....

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Not really, if they are so efficient and precise at doing it, when did the shop rate go to 250 per hour? Not hard to assemble a sled following a check list and put it on the computer.

I guess this would all depend on which dealership you buy from. If my sled was left in a crate in the ditch outside instead of a heated storage facility........and sat in the snow after it was built...Insetad of a heated building....I might have an issue with that. So i can see what you are saying to an extent. I personally think when it comes to fee's like that.... You get what you pay for. And if you feel that you AREN'T getting the bang for your buck there... You might want to look elsewhere. Not that there is anything wrong with where you purchase from... Thats just an opinion. I think you definatley need to be able to find value in where you pay your freight and PDI charge is all.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually asked that exact question yesterday at the Polaris dealer here in Vernon and his answer was NO WAY, he could lose his dealership and even possibly be criminally charged if Polaris found out he was selling crated sled's. He said that Polaris set's the PDI fee and its the same with all Polaris dealer's. He also said that the fee's are returned to Polaris as they own the PDI fee and the dealer's do not own the fee. Each fee is attached to a serial number of a sled and without the PDI fee returned there is no warranty or registration released with the unit. He also said that Polaris can consider the unit STOLEN if it cannot be found and no PDI fee was ever returned.

To clarify abit he said that each unit is sold to the dealer with the PDI cost pending on each unit, and held by the manufacture. In other words the PDI cost is separate from unit cost and once the unit is sold the PDI cost must be returned to the manufacture as proof of legitimate sell and for dealer to be paid for labor in assembling and delivering according to their policies and standards.

He told me selling a crated sled would be stealing the PDI monies from the manufacture, thus a criminal offence.

That was my understanding

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess this would all depend on which dealership you buy from. If my sled was left in a crate in the ditch outside instead of a heated storage facility........and sat in the snow after it was built...Insetad of a heated building....I might have an issue with that. So i can see what you are saying to an extent. I personally think when it comes to fee's like that.... You get what you pay for. And if you feel that you AREN'T getting the bang for your buck there... You might want to look elsewhere. Not that there is anything wrong with where you purchase from... Thats just an opinion. I think you definatley need to be able to find value in where you pay your freight and PDI charge is all.

Huh?? Not sure what your getting at dude, now there are storage fees in the price??
It doesn't matter to me if the sled is outside in the snow in a crate, they are built for it. The sleds are transported on a open trailer from the factory anyway..

Dealers are not allowed to sell uncrated sleds, liability and legal consequences can result. All I was saying is sleds are not difficult to uncrate and put together. Some guys have the drive and mechanical ability to want to be apart of something, like assembling their own sled. It not taking anything away from the dealer at all nor do I want to.
Wether it a actual licensed tech or an apprentice makes no difference to me. IMO assembling sled is a perfect job for an apprentice, and it keeps the tech working on actual more difficult tasks.

Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Huh?? Not sure what your getting at dude, now there are storage fees in the price??
It doesn't matter to me if the sled is outside in the snow in a crate, they are built for it. The sleds are transported on a open trailer from the factory anyway..

Dealers are not allowed to sell uncrated sleds, liability and legal consequences can result. All I was saying is sleds are not difficult to uncrate and put together. Some guys have the drive and mechanical ability to want to be apart of something, like assembling their own sled. It not taking anything away from the dealer at all nor do I want to.
Wether it a actual licensed tech or an apprentice makes no difference to me. IMO assembling sled is a perfect job for an apprentice, and it keeps the tech working on actual more difficult tasks.

I guess its all personal opinion. A set up charge to me wouldn't be acceptable to set it up and get it ready for me and then throw it outside. There is value in security and safe storage which is one of the things I would make my decision for... If you are paying the same amount for PDI everywhere... why not go somehwere that is going to look after it the best. Not everybody treats thier sleds like a mud quad. I might... but not everyone lol.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess its all personal opinion. A set up charge to me wouldn't be acceptable to set it up and get it ready for me and then throw it outside. There is value in security and safe storage which is one of the things I would make my decision for... If you are paying the same amount for PDI everywhere... why not go somehwere that is going to look after it the best. Not everybody treats thier sleds like a mud quad. I might... but not everyone lol.

Lol We are kinda getting off track here but, I see what your getting at now.

When my sled was in, my dealer called me and asked me when I wanted it built, and I picked it up the same day, we agreed upon. Not sure if this happens all the time or anywhere else for that matter.

Most dealers do not have the room or the ability to have all their sleds built and indoors, whether it's snow check season or In season.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Lol We are kinda getting off track here but, I see what your getting at now.

When my sled was in, my dealer called me and asked me when I wanted it built, and I picked it up the same day, we agreed upon. Not sure if this happens all the time or anywhere else for that matter.

Most dealers do not have the room or the ability to have all their sleds built and indoors, whether it's snow check season or In season.

was this thread about slurpees? I did get off track. lol. Also some dealers arent able to store all thier crates at the dealership... Getting it built and picked up same day... wow. lol. Anyways. I hear ya.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know all my adult life I have sold Skidoo snowmobiles. In the last 5 years I have now sold Can Am and Seadoo. Only in the snowmobile industry have I seen the whining and crying about dealers charging for setup, to much for parts, that they should split the difference with the customers on parts because thats the customers right? We charge to much for service even though we have to train and pay techs to do the work. There is not one person on this forum that will work for free so why should the dealer? Now that I've had my mantrum, lol, can anyone tell me why this does not happen in boats, personal watercraft or ATV/Side by side? I understand dirt bikers are just as bad as sledders? I just can't figure it out? Customer A comes into the store, jews you down on a sled, bitches and moans all winter, comes back in the summer to buy a boat and you never see or hear from him again till winter hits? It confounds me? Lol.:confused:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know all my adult life I have sold Skidoo snowmobiles. In the last 5 years I have now sold Can Am and Seadoo. Only in the snowmobile industry have I seen the whining and crying about dealers charging for setup, to much for parts, that they should split the difference with the customers on parts because thats the customers right? We charge to much for service even though we have to train and pay techs to do the work. There is not one person on this forum that will work for free so why should the dealer? Now that I've had my mantrum, lol, can anyone tell me why this does not happen in boats, personal watercraft or ATV/Side by side? I understand dirt bikers are just as bad as sledders? I just can't figure it out? Customer A comes into the store, jews you down on a sled, bitches and moans all winter, comes back in the summer to buy a boat and you never see or hear from him again till winter hits? It confounds me? Lol.:confused:

Lol well said, I think it's because there is more to do and enjoy in the summer, and morale is higher??? Shack wackiness sets in deeper when your stuck in the house with the wife and kids at -30, lol.
Nice to be able to go mow the lawn, even when it does not need it.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not to paint all in one brush but my understanding of this has a lot to do with general age and maturity. I have seen the same in snowmobilers and dirt bikers but not so much in other things such as boaters and boating.
While dirt biking and snowmobiling can be attained by younger folk's, a lot are over their heads financially or on the edge.
While sports like boating are generally afforded by a more financial mature individual and older retired folks.
I was told once by a BRP rep. that their studies have shown that the average dirt biker income is in around 40k while a snowmobiler income is less then 80k. while in the marine world of selling boats it can exceed 1million.

Maybe he is full of it but it made sense to me.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I've never sold sleds, etc, but I almost bought a franchise in '99. The markup on this stuff isn't a large as some may think, and I think it's even tougher in the digital age - hell, every 14 yr old kid has a tablet or smartphone. I don't work for free, and it'd ludicrous to think your dealer should, either. Most get into the power sports business because of their own passion for it, but it isn't a way to get filthy rich. At best, you'll make a comfortable living once all the bills are paid. I want my dealer to stick around in the future, so I will pay a fair price. This ensures my dealer will be around in years to come, whether I need parts, service, or a new machine. Our society encourages the "big box" stores like Costco and Wal-Mart, but then scream bloody murder when they don't get top-notch service, or have a two to three week wait time to get their vehicle in for service. For the MOST part, a smaller town dealer will be your best bet for after sales service... guess that's why I drive 3.5 hrs (one-way) to my dealer in Bonnyville. (Hint: he sells Arctic Cat and Yamaha sleds / atv's.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
Corner 97 street And Yellowhead should be less the 45 minutes from all corners Edmonton, next time try us out I'm sure Terry wouldn't hold it against you, he a good friend of mine also. I like to say we both think alike.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not recall freight and PDI charges when I bought from T-Team but am sure they were in there. I am not inclined to go through an assembly and sure as sh*t can't do anything with the electronics BUT it would have been nice to be with the tech when it was done to see better how everything is put together for maintenance and small repairs. I am figuring it out but watching it being put together might have helped. Hell, I probably would have paid extra for that:)

Top Bottom