Anyone ever bought a sled in a crate? (ie: no $600 dealer PDI)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the PDI.

But I haven't been charged the PDI on my last two sleds either. Or freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Yea well... If there is a weekend warrior around that can assemble a sled better than someone that does a hundred in a month he should be on Americas got talent. Not snow and mud. I'm not saying there isn't knowledgable people... In some cases more knowledgable... But at the end of the day.... If you do something over and over and over and over... You are going to be much better at it than someone who stabs at it once In a while when they want to service theirs. If PDI'ing a sled involved backing over it with a trailer I would get maxwell to do mine every year... Unfortunately there is a lot more to it.

What I'm saying is there's people like Terry on here. I'm sure he'd have no problem PDIing a sled. I realize that's only one example. All I meant was don't group everyone into one category.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
What I'm saying is there's people like Terry on here. I'm sure he'd have no problem PDIing a sled. I realize that's only one example. All I meant was don't group everyone into one category.

I never said anyone was incapable of doing it nor did I say they would do a bad job at it. I was simply saying that there is a reason they get paid to do it... And that somebody that does it over and over a hundred times will be much more efficient and accurate than the average joe doing it at home.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I never said anyone was incapable of doing it nor did I say they would do a bad job at it. I was simply saying that there is a reason they get paid to do it... And that somebody that does it over and over a hundred times will be much more efficient and accurate than the average joe doing it at home.

That's fair.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a pretty good relationship with my dealer I guess. he let me uncrate, assemble, and PDI my own sled in their shop after hours. I set up 2 cameras, one on time lapse and one rolling video of the start to finish process. was fun, had to do it just to say I did. and yes, I still paid the PDI

I can honestly say, other than to program a second tether, no one at the dealer has ever laid a finger on my sled.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this reminds me of when I was still twisting wrenches (auto trans guy) and bought a new ranger and I had previously done pdi's but hadn't done them for a few years .... it showed up two or three days after our pdi guy went on holidays .... keeping in mind that's all he did ...... well the truck sat there for two weeks until he got back to pdi it ...

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should be able to buy a sled in the crate, all programming/updates done, with no warranty for like 5k less.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should be able to buy a sled in the crate, all programming/updates done, with no warranty for like 5k less.

Would be cool but the problem with the updates is sometimes they come out after the sled is crated so you would be paying for it since their would be no warranty. Wouldn't cost 5k though!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each to there own, but I would almost prefer to buy mine in the crate if I could. I void the warranty on day two and in most cases try to buy it with as little warranty as possible. My current ride doesn't even use the stock ECM so its not programmable by a Poo Tech anyway. I'm sure I'm not with the masses on this but is the case with may last two sleds.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
Each to there own, but I would almost prefer to buy mine in the crate if I could. I void the warranty on day two and in most cases try to buy it with as little warranty as possible. My current ride doesn't even use the stock ECM so its not programmable by a Poo Tech anyway. I'm sure I'm not with the masses on this but is the case with may last two sleds.

not sure if it's been mention but depending when or where you buy the charge's could be the only Money a dealer makes too! Sometimes maybe not even a dime. I don't think its that unreasonable to make $600 on a $13,000 dollar investment. Also I would like to hope everyone still should do a proper PDI this is what sometimes gives a brand a bad name if it wasn't done right. I know Terry does at his shop and I personally get involved with all our builds or malke dame sure a certified tech signs off. Even if my wash boy spent the time take it out of the crate. This is what makes a good dealer a place to go back, something to be said about trust when you flying down the trail at 75 mph?

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the PDI.

But I haven't been charged the PDI on my last two sleds either. Or freight.

It may not be on the bill, but one way or another you're paying for it. I don't know many businesses that run at a loss.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what I pay but thanks for the insight.

BRP charges $400 for freight to every dealer in Canada Danny. Dale was building it in somewhere. He may not have shown it on the invoice but it is a direct charge to his monthly invoicing from BRP. PDI is his decision to charge as this is a dealership generated charge. A lot of dealers quote and sell without mentioning the freight and PDI while others tack it on when they tally up your bill. Different ways to do things is all.:beer:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been 4 years since I bought that sled. Maybe I paid Freight on it, but not PDI.

On my pro I paid neither. If it was built into the price, so be it but that means I got a brand new sled cheaper than the invoiced price the dealer ship pays. ;)

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been 4 years since I bought that sled. Maybe I paid Freight on it, but not PDI.

On my pro I paid neither. If it was built into the price, so be it but that means I got a brand new sled cheaper than the invoiced price the dealer ship pays. ;)

Pretty good deal. Hopefully he's not doing that for everyone. You may need to look for a new dealer sooner than later. Lol.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

The dealer has to pay to have it PDI'd... They have to pay a tech.... therefore... YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT. Just becuase your bill of sale doesnt say "PDI CHARGE"... doesnt mean you didnt pay for it.. Not a single dealer in the world COULD or WOULD do that for free. I dont know any techs that would come in on a sunday and do it for nothing. You got a great price!

Top Bottom