Reality check

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Headed out to the Trailseekers poker rally on Sunday. Standing in the shop sweeping out water on the floor from the sleds and mentally complaining. Reality check #1, be thankful you have a heated shop for the toys. Standing in the yard deciding whether to take the enclosed or open trailer. Decided to take the open, then mentally complained about some salt and snow on the sleds when we arrived at the staging area. Reality check #2, you had several choices (good) made the wrong one, so don't bitch. Ever wonder where all the EXT's. Mountain Max's, SKS's, S series Summits went? Caught up in the "REV chassis is getting dated" BS? Reality check #3, there were a crap load of older sleds at the poker rally and their riders were having a great day. Don't bitch about having to ride a "dated" sled, just be thankful you have a sled. Which brings me to people like the volunteers who run the clubs and events such as poker runs etc. They give up their day(s) of riding for us. Reality check #4, don't bitch about waiting for a minute or 2 at the signup or checkpoints. Which brings me to Tyler G. Manned checkpoint #3 all day, supplied his truck for the task and he currently doesn't have a sled. Don't bitch. Club did a good job of providing overflow parking, good ride. Pulled up at checkpoint #1 (I think) and noticed that most sleds had some form of performance or personalization modifications. Mostly exhaust systems. I had spent considerable time and effort changing both sleds back to prairie setups prior to the ride and was out numbered about 3 to 1. Reality check #whatever, loud sleds have no place in large groups or near civilization.

Did I have any legit complaints about the rally? Well maybe one, "go out the gate and turn left, follow the trail" were the directions. Being a non member and unfamiliar with the trail system, we weren't really sure we were going the right direction. Oh well, got to all the checkpoints.

Rode the north loop after we turned our cards in just for fun. 25 minutes including one off trail (unplanned) excursion. Needed the can back as a passing warning.

Thanks Trailseekers for a nice day.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive Feedback MXOldtimer. Hopefully you got your fill of Elk Chili and had a good day. I heard nothing but positives about the condition of our trail, and it seemed that almost everyone had a great day.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Poker Rally

I'VE TALKED TO SEVERAL MEMBERS, AND ALL FEEDBACK HAS BEEN POSITIVE. I COULD'NT ATTEND, BUT NEXT YEAR WE WILL BE THERE. GOOD JOB TRAILSEEKERS:specool: , AND CONTINUED SUCCESS WISHED UPON YOU ALL... KEEP ON PLQGGIN' TYLERG, YOU'RE GETTING TO BE QUITE THE CELEB OUT THERE WITH NO SLED AND ALL!!!

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trails were in incredible shape. We road around again after we handed our cards in and even after the ride they were still in great shap, held up really well. The signing and trail marking was great. I think a few of us got confused on the first corner but no big deal, just ment an extra 5 km loop, but the trail system is small enough that we enjoyed the extra riding anyway. The "rally this way" signs worked out really well.

I know many of you gave up more than the day for this event. There was lots to do getting all that stuff arranged - i'm guessing days and days for some. Putting on an event like that puts a big strain on everyone. And it's impossible to make a perfect event anyway (I know our events are never perfect), the fact that everyone had a lot of fun and everyone was safe means it was a great sucusses and you can't do better than that.

The pipes annoyed me too. I wish more people would "get it". I know there has been progress already (some people are becoming aware), I think we just have to keep at and we will get this one (definatly messages of annoyance on places like this are going to help).

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,

I was honestly shocked at the turnout yesterday, and you are right lots of people spent many hours getting ready for yesterday. It was a great day, and I'm glad to see you all have gotten out and enjoyed our trail system. Remember that you are all welcome to come out and ride at anytime so long as you have a Trail Pass.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could not make it as planes changed without warning,sick kids.Sounds like I missed a good one.Had a blast there last year and this year you guys had snow!
catmando!:cool:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Could not make it as planes changed without warning,sick kids.Sounds like I missed a good one.Had a blast there last year and this year you guys had snow!
catmando!:cool:

I kept my eyes open for that Tabby Cat, but never saw it, some others out there though. We definately had a showing from all brands.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Tyler, the police officer that was there. How did she come to be there, was she invited or invited herself?

Reason I ask is because of this pipes issue. I get so many people asking me why we allow people with pipes, cans etc, even sometimes the cops ask me. I keep telling people we are not law enforcement, we can discourage it as much as we want but like my buddy said, if your wife really wants to sleep with your neighbor, at the end of the day what can you really do about it. I'm starting to wish that if the police are willing to show up at these events why they don't consider fining people more for noise violations.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's so much a matter of aftermarket exhausts as having enough brains to know when to ease off the throttle that makes the difference. I know that there are some loud pipes out there but a stock exhaust at 8000RPMS near or in town irritates folks too. :rant: It's not the equipment that's the problem it's the lack of consideration shown by some a**hole riders. Those guys aren't going to listen anyway. They don't care if riding areas get shut down, they'll ride there illegally anyway. they are the same guys that rip up and down streets and alleys in town at all hours and cut fences and wreck cross country ski trails and crap like that. They need a smack on the helmet.
OK rant over

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Tyler, the police officer that was there. How did she come to be there, was she invited or invited herself?

Reason I ask is because of this pipes issue. I get so many people asking me why we allow people with pipes, cans etc, even sometimes the cops ask me. I keep telling people we are not law enforcement, we can discourage it as much as we want but like my buddy said, if your wife really wants to sleep with your neighbor, at the end of the day what can you really do about it. I'm starting to wish that if the police are willing to show up at these events why they don't consider fining people more for noise violations.

The officer that was there was a Parkland County Patrol officer, she was invited I believe by LeAnn (President). She was there more for public relations, handing out brochures making their presence known. I have no idea if she said anything to anyone about pipes, or other such noise.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Loud Pipes

I feel it's time for the other side of this issue to speak up.

Yes my sled has pipes and I don't have a stock exhaust system for it "so it is what it is" for now. My next sled will have a Mountain and Local Trail exhaust option.

I think some people are grouping all of the louder sledders in with a few riders that are lacking respect. The remaining sledders are uneducated about the issue. That has become clear with many of the members of this site stating that they were unaware of the law or issues that the land owners have with loud sleds. I'm one of those previously uneducated people (now educated). It's the same with the ASA trail passes...education will get the results that are needed.

The goal is to reduce the amount of noise on the trail systems and I think that that is starting to happen and many riders are rethinking their position on this before riding. There are 700 readers getting educated right now, however each time someone breaks into a negative rant, especially respected members of the riding community, and makes offensive disrespectful comments their point is lost and the readers begin to only hear Bla, Bla, Bla.

Please do not assume that everyone with a louder sled is a jerk and does not care, most of us do and are working towards correcting it. It takes a long time to change the current ways, but it will...and is happening.

Thanks for allowing me a moment on the soap box.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
I feel it's time for the other side of this issue to speak up.

Yes my sled has pipes and I don't have a stock exhaust system for it "so it is what it is" for now. My next sled will have a Mountain and Local Trail exhaust option.

Please do not assume that everyone with a louder sled is a jerk and does not care, most of us do and are working towards correcting it. It takes a long time to change the current ways, but it will...and is happening.

Thanks for allowing me a moment on the soap box.
I kind of cut your post down to what I consider the esentials. I didn't think my little post about a neat ride would actually get this many thoughtful, intelligent responses. I just spent 2 hours in the shop last night changing the clutching, putting the "lightweight" exhaust system back on old faithful in preparation for the weekend in McBride. Was it worth it to change over? You bet, only got one little scar and I'm sure there are people out there who appreciated the lack of noise we made. Now for the confession related to jerks on loud sleds. I'm quite sure that there are several people on the ride Sunday that think that the guy on the nice quiet 800 Summit is a jerk. The picture is, rally participants cruising along at a pretty good pace, riding in their group, just enjoying the ride. Some fool puts an aggressive pass on them or blows by them at 20 to 30 MPH quicker than they are going. Point? Loud pipes, screwing up private property, intruding on peoples personal space, etc all contribute to a negative image for our chosen sport. Enough negatiove image and no more sport. Simple logic, simple solution, don't do it.

Now, in somebodys eyes, on Sunday, I was a jerk. What's the difference? Fellow sledders think I'm a jerk, not non sledders. Big difference.

Off my soapbox, back to work, booking rooms now. Damn that was fun on Sunday.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curtis,
You kind of mirrored what I was trying to say, I too have a louder exhaust, which I removed for the Westlock rally. While riding there, I noticed that there were a number of folks with 'loud' machines that would idle away from the checkpoints while there were also people with quiet machines that were on the pin near the crowds. While neither behavior is in my opinion inappropriate out in the bush where there's no-one about but a bunch of other sledders, it made me realize that a sled with stock exhaust could be at least as annoying as a piped one if ridden by an A**hole. I definately wasn't saying that everyone that has an aftermarket exhaust is an inconsiderate so-and-so. I've also decided not to remove my stinger for our Whitecourt rally, since the speed limit 'till you get out of town is 20KMH anyway.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Loud Pipes

Sorry Summiteer, my comments should have been placed elsewhere and were meant as a reply to some of the negative comments made at other times. I may have jumped the gun.
Yes there many of us that need to adjust our attitude about sledding on private property and should not allow our buddy's to get away with stuff...ie: I won't ride in the mountains with someone who is not wearing a beacon...just won't!....attitude.

Curtis,
You kind of mirrored what I was trying to say, I too have a louder exhaust, which I removed for the Westlock rally. While riding there, I noticed that there were a number of folks with 'loud' machines that would idle away from the checkpoints while there were also people with quiet machines that were on the pin near the crowds. While neither behavior is in my opinion inappropriate out in the bush where there's no-one about but a bunch of other sledders, it made me realize that a sled with stock exhaust could be at least as annoying as a piped one if ridden by an A**hole. I definately wasn't saying that everyone that has an aftermarket exhaust is an inconsiderate so-and-so. I've also decided not to remove my stinger for our Whitecourt rally, since the speed limit 'till you get out of town is 20KMH anyway.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Applaud You All

My Sleds Are Loud When I'm On The Gas, But I Try To Be Considerate Where Possible And Will Be Even Moreso In The Future. I Doo Have The Stock Exhaust, But I Will Try The Next Trail Ride Being Considerate Of Anyone Around. I Doo Like The Noise Of The Big Exhaust, But My Exhaust Is As Quiet Or Quieter Than A Stock Exhaust At Idle, Or Off Idle(until Its Pinned). I Think Everyone That Has Replied, Or Has Read These Threads Has Learned Something. I Know I Have.....;)

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully what we can achieve here is that some of us are going to get angry enough about this whole issue and all the negativity that surrounds it so we actually go and say something once in a while to people when they are being disrespectful - we don't even have to be rude, just talk to them for a sec.

The norm is that we tolerate it too much - and we've been doing if for a long time so it's going to be sticky to change it and it's going to require persistency from those that want to see a change. When the good guys are tried of all the negative attention they will start to ask the bad guys to stop it. If the bad guys start hearing it in person a few times they are going to start to feel like a minority, or even real alone. I think many irresponsible people are sort of aware what they are doing is not ok but most of them don't get the negative feed back personally, so it's easy to keep doing it (create your own reality). If it gets personal that will change it for many of them - most people follow the social accepted norms pretty well.

If they are so evil that it doesn't change them, well I guess that's what law enforcement is for and I would like to see the cops doing a bit more about it because they are one of the complainers asking me to do something about it. It's good that the RCMP get invited out, should happen more often - and they should be having chili and yakking it up with people like a buddy. Our club has even taken them on rides and it has made a big difference, they understand us a lot more these last few weeks and that's helping them. We are starting to realize they are really ok and I think it's helped them feel more comfortable with working with us – and dare I say it separate us good guys from the bad guys in their minds. You actually have to work at making them feel welcome though, I don't think that happens by itself (not complaining about trail seekers relationship with RCMP, just pointing out what I learned these last few weeks in our own club). I think they are as afraid of us as we are of them.

You know there is a guy in our club that has a can, it's a real tame one, just makes the sled sound a bit more grumpy than normal. He is never on the throttle, you never hear him - he just puts around, never spins the track, and it's a newer 800 Rev. I'm thinking that us sledders with well tuned ears will know he has one, but a cop looking for a trouble maker would probably leave him alone. I would hate to see him get a fine because he is one of the most respectful riders I know.

I'm not trying to make all the good guys feel bad about themselves, but if they feel annoyed enough to talk to someone who is irresponsible, even once, I won't feel bad about that.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I must point out to you all that the officer that was at the Rally was NOT a member of the RCMP, but a member of the County Patrol.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No need for apologies Curtis. This is a good thread, discussion is the only way to raise awareness.
Last wednesday the Whitecourt Trailblazers had a 'dignitary day' for lack of a better name. We rounded up some extra sleds and gear and invited town and county councillors, the Mayor and local radio and newspaper personalities to go for a ride to our Carson warmup cabin for a hot dog roast then to the staging area and back to town. We ended up with 27 sleds including members and guests including the Mayor and a couple of councillors. Many of those had never ridden before so it was quite an eyeopener for them. Not only did they experience the fun, but they got to see how much work the club has put into the trail system. I think that more stuff like this needs to be done to show people that are not involved in the sport, and may in fact be against it, what we are all about. As far as I know our club has always had a good relationship with the RC's, a couple are club members and the detachment is always represented in the rally (They have at least one sled).

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The officer that was there was a Parkland County Patrol officer, she was invited I believe by LeAnn (President). She was there more for public relations, handing out brochures making their presence known. I have no idea if she said anything to anyone about pipes, or other such noise.

Hey TylerG, just noticed the new ride on your profile. Now you're just bragging

Top Bottom