RCMP out in full force this weekend in Golden

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to Golden. I've been riding there since 2006 and never been pulled over in that area until this weekend. And after it I have now been pulled over or checked out 4 times. First was on fri around 11am right after we arrived in town, and grabbed fuel to head out to Silent Pass. Ran vin's on sleds, measured taillights to sled overhang, all good. Asked if we had avy gear and knew how to use it, was great I thought that he asked that with all the uneducated users heading out in the backcountry these days and I told him that. Next time pulled over was at stop check in town when we got back that night around 6pm. Other cars and trucks waved through, my buddies truck with deck and sleds pulled in, and breathalysed. All good. A couple other cars waved through. I get pulled in, and also breathalysed, all good again. Next time pulled over was the next night around 630pm heading down hill on highway from cabin up to ski hill for supper. Pulled over right on hill with no shoulder, which I thought was kind of unsafe. Checked again, measured taillights to sleds which was good again. And warned me that the cops had brought in a bunch of extra members, and were targeting sledders this weekend because they tend to drink and sled. The next was about 5 minutes later, at the bottom of the ski hill road. Yet another stop check, buddies ahead had dropped 4 place at the cabin and just had pickup. Asked what they were up to and told to move along. I get pulled in and checked out all over yet again as other non-sledders were waved through, all good again and told to carry on.
Now I know there is a smaller percentage of guys out there that do sled and drive drunk, at least I like to think it's a smaller percentage. And I think they should get caught. And I'm also glad to see the RCMP putting some effort into stolen sleds and drunk driving. But in all honesty I think their resources could be used a lot more effectively to fight real crime and not a bunch of guys that are just out enjoying the mountains responsibly, and also putting hard earned money into the community. Don't get me wrong, we like to drink and have a good time as much as the next guy, but we won't have more than 2 beers throughout the day, and always have a dd when we go out to restaurants, or head into town. And do the majority of our drinking at the cabin in the hot tub, or infront of the fire. This was more of an inconvenience than anything for us, but just erked me. And I just wanted to give everybody a heads up.:beer:

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
dont feel too bad ive been pulled over in Golden twice, tracks measured past lights etc.... the catch is i was only passing through to Revy. (which ive never been pulled over)

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I was pulled over twice in the same weekend at Golden and had my deck measured. He asked me how wide my deck was and I told him. He said you seem pretty confident. I said I should be ...this is the 2nd time you guys have measured it this weekend. He try's to tell me I may have an attitude. I shut up but would have really liked to tell him what my real thoughts about him were. I have respect for every RCMP detachment in Canada except in Golden. And you just reaffirmed my decision. Thankyou!

revdog

Reaction score
thankx for the heads up as the boys are headed that way this thurs !!!

spikeydave

Reaction score
I would say his problem is why were they not checking everyone and only going after sledders. I have no issues with check stops and having them look over my vehicle in regards to overhangs and weight issues but there are many others that drink and drive and may have very well gone through without being checked. When it comes to the drinking and driving check EVERYONE not just those who you have painted with the same brush.

I can't see a problem?
When youre ch!t gets stolen everyone complains that the cops are not around and do nothing to help search for youre gear.....

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say his problem is why were they not checking everyone and only going after sledders. I have no issues with check stops and having them look over my vehicle in regards to overhangs and weight issues but there are many others that drink and drive and may have very well gone through without being checked. When it comes to the drinking and driving check EVERYONE not just those who you have painted with the same brush.
I agree, but I think that they were doing more than a drinking check. Checking sled vins is A1 in my books. Catch some low life thiefs! I like drinking beers on the hill and I know i'll catch sh*t for this but that's how life is.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to hide a stolen sled in a Neon

Fuel Fire

Reaction score
My reply is; where the police checking sled vins, registration, and insurance at these check stops? Cause to me thats the real crime going around, not sledders having a beer in the parking lot.

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
Check stops were at the bridge downtown, and at the base of the hill where the road heads up to the ski hill. Imagine they moved around as the one was gone at the bottom of the hill when we came down from supper. Yep 4ft is the allowable length, I already knew I was legal. I do have little led's to put on if I haul a 163". Buddy got hassled a little bit because his snowflap stuck over the limit, so he bent it up into his track. Don't have any issues like I said with the rc's looking for drunks, and appreciate them looking for stolen sleds. But like what was said earlier, I don't appreciate us all being painted with a brawd brush. And the same vehicle being pulled over multiple times and checked for stolen sleds doesn't seem very smart, or effective against the fight against stolen sleds. I'd be interested to see if they actually handed out any dui's, or found any stolen sleds with all the resources they had in town. At the times that they had the check stops set up I'd highly doubt it. And just saying I think those resources and our tax dollars could be put to better use in the prevention, and recovery of stolen sleds than check stops at supper time. IMO. And I also hope this does hit home with some of the guys that do drink a little too much on the hill, and in the pick-up. Maybe make them think twice.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problem getting stopped but they should stop ALL vehicles not just sledders!!I have yet to see a wreck involving a drunk sledder on the hiway!I always get stopped at Te Jean Cache!Horray for .05 and Alberta plates in B.C.!!!!:rant:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the proud ex owner of a sled that was stolen, I have no problem with them checking us out.

You seem to feel that the sledders were the only ones targetted at the check stop. One thing to consider is that it is very easy for cops to smell the breath of a guy who has had a couple of drinks. They may not have had extended conversations with the other drivers but you can be assured that every driver had to pass the breath test. Everyone at the check stop was checked for alcohol consumption, you guys got the extended conversation to see if there is a concern about the sleds being stolen.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed knee deep, as my sled and trailer was taken last week I fully support checking bins on sleds, may be the only way to stop the thievery. I have been checked before and don't mind the checks, looking for stolen sleds. It can be a pain if it is multiple times but at least ya know they are looking.

RMK_TEMPEST

Reaction score
i think that is great that they are checking for stolen sleds and alcohol limits on the drivers, keeps people honest ;)

Top Bottom