Radio Type (truckers)

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
And the guy going uphill has the right of way cause he may not get going again. Downhill hill will always get going
I always call it the right of weight....heavier unit can always pull the light one out of the ditch if there's not enough room.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working in the trade and programming vhf radios the self programmable are illegal not because you can have cop channels but because you can program a company or persons private repeater system or channel with out having their direct permission. As for not enforcing, they are enforcing the law in northern alberta/bc so honestly do yourself a favor and buy a legal radio as the fine is quite expensive and they confiscate the programmable one. At the shop we charge a flat rate unless you want a special list consisting of over 128 channels then it could be hourly. Kenwood, Icom are the one I see the least of for repair and probably the most user friendly.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself, I wish from the get go it was a system more like marine radios where every radio had the same channels and frequencies and these are the designated road channels. Maybe make the radios capable of extra channels for the private frequencies and have those as the programmed ones.

At any rate, number one piece of advice: Even if you have a radio, drive like you don't.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to Altacomm on the south side 51ave about 87st (telus dealer). they can program many brands of radio's. The set me up with a list of 128 of the most common channels for around western can and gave me a handy chart to go with it.

Gone are the days where anyone even has a CB any more in Alberta. Its so hard to talk to anyone. And if you use alberta open channels you get to listed to long drawn out foreign language conversations and the occasional east Indian songs they feel everyone should hear in full. I don't mind the occational "ok just dump it there" but I can understand that and it's short. It's this on and on that makes you think its about his wife, kids or the white drivers that can't understand them.... I don't know but it's long!

The good thing is, when you get in the sticks it's nice and quite and all in English for some reason.

This may have been a rant.:rant:....I'll let my peer's decide. :beer: :beer:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledders are posted on a recent BC Forest Safety Council Safety Alert

Programmable is the way to go. There is no guarantee every contractor will be on the posted radio lists. Lots of them use frequencies not officially registered and if you don't have the channel you may as well not have the radio.

Technically you are not supposed to have but just play the safety card unless they are total losers they will not take it or issue you a fine...

however...

An ahole DOT guy from PG was doing a check stop just north of Terrace few years back and he took my dad's programmable and gave him $500 fine. It was a TAD mounted in a pick up. He disputed it in court and one although he never got his radio back he got out of the fine.

The icom V8 is a slick little radio that is easy to program...just dial in the number on the keypad. You used to be able to get them for around $200. I have put these through the paces doing coastal layout and they stand up well to abuse - rain, wind, snow etc. And have as good of range as my $800 kenwood handheld.

The logging truck definitely has the ROW in any direction. Take a pull out when you can even if it means waiting a few minutes extra.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fines can now be up to 5000 and just not worth it, all roads are posted. There are 84rr channels and many alberta channels that are in use. If you are spending the money spend the extra and buy at least a 250channel radio it will save you in the long run if you want a copy of all the channels required pm me and I can supply you with a printout to take to whoever you want to program your radio.

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A could be cheaper way to do it is go to a trucking company that has the programed radios. Most company's have a old spare radio kicking around and probably sell it if you ask nicely. Alberta open, Ladds are good channels to have, i would ask and get oil field channels as well. There will be some carry over channels, but well worth it.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New rr channels are a must in the northern bc area you cannot go on those roads without they also must be programmed properly with power being set right and the subaudible tones programmed. All of these channels are narrow all things to consider when having a radio set up for these channels. Not just a throw the channel in and go!!!!!

Indy245

Reaction score
^^^^^^^

Do you have a copy of the list you could put on this thread? Otherwise if you can please PM me with that list. I want to make sure that I get all the channels and not some ones interpretation of the channels that I need.

PixelPerfectPhotography

Reaction score
Website
www.pixelperfectphotography.ca
Ok guys, forgive me my girlish stupidity :), I'm a little confused. We (I'm Xtremist's girlfriend) are from Alberta, so will we still be able to get all the BC channels programmed? Do we need a licence? If so, where should we go? And lastly, where exactly should we go to get one of the VHF radios?

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a license. If you don't want to take the risk on a programmable then I would phone the BC Forest Service office in the area you are going sledding. They will be able to provide you with the frequencies of the roads you will be going on...hopefully you know the name of the roads. Talk to someone in compliance and enforcement as they are usually out and about the most.

Ministry of Forests, Mines and Lands - Province of British Columbia

The earlier list posted certainly isn't comprehensive of all areas. I doubt there is such a list. For example that list has none of the common ones used in my area. If you have enough room i would put them all in too but phone and get it locally I.e. Forest Service for the area you are going to ride. Print the list from this thread and all the ones you get phoning around then buy the radio and get them all put in. Make sure they give you a print out of what is in there.

Every time you reprogram your radio they are gonna ding you 20 buck or more i would think...that is what they charge here. Anyway usually they will program if for free when you buy it so get as many channels as you can.

I would go to a good local radio shop for the VHF so you have good local service.

Hope that helps.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you do need a licence for your radio if you need the for pm me with a fax # and I can supply it. As for the list I provided covering everywhere it does't but ab/bc this is about the best list you will get we supply this list to about 90% of our customers and it is updated as new channels come into use .

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might be a good example of information a club could be providing on their website - what frequencies might be recommended to get to riding areas. It's the out-of-towners that are most likely riding on a weekday anyway...

Indy245

Reaction score
Thank-you for posting this list. We got burned this winter going into Hassler with the old channels (I didn't realize they changed - Should have known).

I agree with having this info on the club/Area site to help us "out-of-towners" get there safely.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has questions reguarding the frequencies I can probably help. Ask and I will do my best to get the information.

Top Bottom