Radio Type (truckers)

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what type of radio do you use to communicate with the logging trucks when getting to places like area 51............are they CB radios or are they the fm side band or whatever they are called and where would i get ahold of ones of these???

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
what type of radio do you use to communicate with the logging trucks when getting to places like area 51............are they CB radios or are they the fm side band or whatever they are called and where would i get ahold of ones of these???

VHF radio but you need the right channel

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not to worried about the channel, there is usually a big sign with the proper channel......can you not just tune to that channel on the fly... and the vhf, ive seen marine ones, is that the same thing ?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not to worried about the channel, there is usually a big sign with the proper channel......can you not just tune to that channel on the fly... and the vhf, ive seen marine ones, is that the same thing ?

You can tune to that channel if you have it programmed in the radio already. You are not allowed to program them yourself. Or at least don't get caught.

Last edited:

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Icom and Motorola both make good hand helds. i have an Icom now (a little cheaper) used to have a motorola (skidder flattened it)
I self program mine but its not easy, and you have to find a dealer that will tell you how.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
programmable radios are called Tad radios. You have to unlock them and then you can just put in the frequency. usually a 10 minute mod.They are illegal but never policed. Its because you can have the police channels in them. I have found that the cops couldnt care less...unless you piss them off and they are trying to "throw you under the bus" but then the roach under your seat would do that!!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Really? Have seen Industry Canada at scales checking exactly that!
oh i forgot even the normal vhf radios require a license. but nobody cares about that either!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
programmable radios are called Tad radios. You have to unlock them and then you can just put in the frequency. usually a 10 minute mod.They are illegal but never policed. Its because you can have the police channels in them. I have found that the cops couldnt care less...unless you piss them off and they are trying to "throw you under the bus" but then the roach under your seat would do that!!
there are quite a few brands with models that are user-programmable....icon, kenwood, motorola, and some chinese brands as well as the tad M-8 and M-10.

I had mentioned in a previous radio thread about a motorola handheld I was watching on ebay, I ended up getting one to check it out and it's the real deal. only 20 channels but user programmable, excellent range, and about a day worth of battery life if constantly on. I tested mine when I got it....my pop was in our tin sided/roofed shop in town, and I could communicate with him on the motorola, and me on the tad in my pickup all the way to the top of the west hill in peace river. best part, it was under 100 bucks shipped. I since bought another, as well as 2 spare extra capacity Ni/mh batteries.

here is the link to the ebay auction....

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope they dont give a crap. it is suppose to be with your paperwork, when you get the "park bring papers" light it is required and never checked. i believe its 40 bucks a year or something for the piece of paper. no course its like a tax.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If you need any channels programed the guy at the truck stop in Nisku does it for I think $25 as many channels as you want. The guy at the road king nails you $25 a channel :eek:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was only ever asked once for my radio license by a DOT, he was kinda suprised that we actually had one. We use the TAD's in our big trucks and pilot trucks. Our Pilot trucks also use the Kenwood handhelds when they are out of their trucks guiding the big trailers on sites.
As for the $25.00 per channel...what a scam! hopefully not too many guys go to him.

spike7ss

Reaction score
another way is to get a police scanner, if you just want to listen to where other trucks are on teh road when they call kms. That is something you can program the channel on the fly.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only problem with that, is that we don't know where YOU are. :)

3 problems with that, the 1st as you said, we dont know where they are, 2nd they dont know the road and 3rd, very good chance they dont know the rules of the road.

Just curious, if your running with a scanner, how do you call you mandatory calls? In BC it is mandatory to call as your entering a new road, and there are posted mandatory call spots on many roads. This is for a reason, and the best reason is to protect MY life.

IF somebody here is getting a radio for personal use, BC now has a mandatory channel list for forestry roads. If you purchase from a credible radio shop they will have the list and make sure it is programmed into your radio.

If your not experienced in Forest Service Roads in BC and dont have a radio, you have 2 options, 1st, just dont go down the road, 2nd, wait at the start of the road and follow a truck in. Not the best, but atleast everybody will know your there and where you are.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and learn the lingo.....you are to call "empty" as you go in and "loaded" as you go out....at every kilometer sign.

EX: "empty pickup truck, kilometer 4 on the Paint Lake road" (you would call in and say this as you drive in past the km4 sign in the AM)

If you hear "loaded, kilometer 5 Paint lake!"....it is a rig with logs, and you have about 35 seconds to find somewhere to get outta the way.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and learn the lingo.....you are to call "empty" as you go in and "loaded" as you go out....at every kilometer sign.

EX: "empty pickup truck, kilometer 4 on the Paint Lake road" (you would call in and say this as you drive in past the km4 sign in the AM)

If you hear "loaded, kilometer 5 Paint lake!"....it is a rig with logs, and you have about 35 seconds to find somewhere to get outta the way.
I always call what I am driving as well, and give the empty loggers right of way when I'm travelling in the loaded direction. also if I clear them on the wrong side I let them know, as most wide spots are on the "empty" side.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New road calling rules in BC, you no longer call empty or loaded, you call up or down.

Its real simple, if the km signs are going up, 1-2-3, you call up, if you are traveling the other way you call down, 3-2-1.

Up traffic only calls when they are entering the road, as well as when there is a sign directing them to call a specific location. Down traffic call every odd km sign and specify their vehicle, ie Pickup down at 25. Oversize and dangerous goods call every km.

This really saves confussion as alot of roads can now have loaded traffic going either direction. Many times in the past we would have to call "Empty at 25 with a load on" That got confusing real fast.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
And the guy going uphill has the right of way cause he may not get going again. Downhill hill will always get going

Top Bottom